Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:33 PM

119 posts, read 207,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I haven't seen one since the 1950's. Good Luck!

I cannot believe you guys have no butcher shops.... We lived in Queens an dI hade 3 within walking disatnce. my dh put himself through college wrappingmeet and working for a butcher. everyone is fine just buying the meat packaged at the supermarket??

don't get me wrong, I am so glad we moved but this I find so surprising! (and disturbing!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 12:49 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,427,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catmom View Post
We are from NYC and I was told this is the only place to get good Italian coldcuts, sausage etc etc. We drove over last week and were disappointed to find it closed. is there any place that would approximate a salumeria? and my other question if anyone woudl kindly answer-- I was surprised by the alck of butcher shops! Someone had suggested the Meat House to me and it is pretty good but most of themeat seems to be prepared (marinated ) already-- any butcher shops wtih the guy in a bloody white coat? not fancy, just a regular butcher shop. (I have googled and am really coming up empty handed)
Have you tried Cliff's in Carrboro or the meat counter at just about any Whole Foods?

Old 05-24-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Have you tried Cliff's in Carrboro or the meat counter at just about any Whole Foods?

Have not tried Cliff's but I am familiar wtih Whole Foods from NYC. it was like a "fancy butcher" with a lot of prepared ready to heat and eat foods. but I am willing to try it again ($$$ though if I recall)

I will put Cliff's on my list, thank you. I am curious why the market is so different down here for food.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:05 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,609 times
I remember also finding it odd that there were no stand alone butcher shops here when we moved here. Have not been since I don't live in Durham but have heard that the butcher's at King's are quite good. Yelp seems to agree:

King's Red & White Super Market - Durham, NC

There will be a butcher shop opening in Durham sometime soon. Updates here:

https://www.facebook.com/RosesMeatandSweets

Sorry if you aren't in Durham - they generally are a bit more forward thinking (or perhaps more retro thinking on butcher shops) with regards to food it seems!

Old 05-24-2013, 01:08 PM

we are close enough to durham thanks.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:18 PM

436 posts, read 670,799 times
Meat House often has other cuts in back which aren't marinated, etc. Just ask them.
Cliffs in Carrboro Cliff's Meat Market and Da Vincis in Wake Forest Davincis prime meats and deli are amongst the best stand alone butcher shops in the Triangle.

The closest you'll find to a salumeria is Giacomo's on Greensboro:
:: Online Italian Deli | Home Page | Homemade Salami | Italian Food Online | Meat and Cheese Gift Baskets | Salamis by Mail ::

Capri Flavor's in Morrisville has many Italian grocery items.
Capri Flavors, :: Fine Italian Food

If you look at the architecture of the Triangle you will see distinct patterns of growth. Most of the growth occurred once automobile usage was strong and after WWII. So ethnic neighborhoods and dense population centers were not the norm. Suburban sprawl and that time period of development encouraged "modern" grocery stores rather than supporting older individual butchers, bakery's, and green grocers.

This area, and most of the South, did not get the same waves of immigration that the NE did. The South developed as an agrarian area. After the Civil War most of the South was devastated on many levels. Loss of man power (war deaths and slavery abolished), destruction of farms, mills, salt works and the limited industry that had existed, and a society having to recover from war and change from a plantation based economy led to an area of economic depression until after WWII. The industrialization of the North contributed to denser populations and more job opportunities for immigrants. Same with ports - Boston & NY ports were primary entries at the time when most Italian immigration was happening.

Once you understand the history then the absence makes more sense and no longer is as "disturbing". There is a tremendous amount going on food-wise in this area. Just might be packaged differently than you are used to.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:47 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,180,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_link View Post
If you look at the architecture of the Triangle you will see distinct patterns of growth. Most of the growth occurred once automobile usage was strong and after WWII. So ethnic neighborhoods and dense population centers were not the norm. Suburban sprawl and that time period of development encouraged "modern" grocery stores rather than supporting older individual butchers, bakery's, and green grocers.

This area, and most of the South, did not get the same waves of immigration that the NE did. The South developed as an agrarian area. After the Civil War most of the South was devastated on many levels. Loss of man power (war deaths and slavery abolished), destruction of farms, mills, salt works and the limited industry that had existed, and a society having to recover from war and change from a plantation based economy led to an area of economic depression until after WWII. The industrialization of the North contributed to denser populations and more job opportunities for immigrants. Same with ports - Boston & NY ports were primary entries at the time when most Italian immigration was happening.
Not food related...but I love little history lessons like this about the area. I sometimes used to wonder why certain areas seemed to explode (like NYC), and certain areas didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary