Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 02:16 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Eh? I didn't just start seeing them over the past month.
Yes, I've seen them. But there seem to be more during May.

Capital Boulevard was congested 20 years ago. So that's not a new thing.

Not sure what it looked like 30 years ago, but not much of anything in a boomtown looks the same after 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 04:14 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,258 times
All the out of staters from the NE are just people bringing good pizza to transplants. They probably won't stay long.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:29 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Second, let's be honest and not pretend to care about someone working "a $10/hr job".
I care very much about that and it's not because I'm a bleeding heart liberal (trust me, I'm not). It's because it creates a society of mostly "have nots" which is problematic on many levels. But purely from an economic standpoint, it's not a good thing. But maybe you think it's OK that the unemployment rate is dropping because many people have either given up looking for work or are cobbling together $10 an hour part time jobs and all of them have fallen off the UEI rolls because of that.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,354 times
Wait, another thread bashing northerners?

Shocker

Old 05-27-2013, 08:06 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post

Shocker
Nobody is bashing "northerners."

Let's don't dramatize. People move here from all over. We are talking about out of state plates and the population boom.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:18 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
I've seen a Nebraska plate recently, was shocked and also another Colorado but that wasnt too unusual.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 AM

117 posts, read 246,831 times
Texas, Georgia, Florida, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York

Old 05-28-2013, 08:27 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post

Shocker
I don't think this thread is about bashing northerners, at all.

As a matter of fact, the majority of the out of state plates that I have recently seen are from Florida! Those half backs!!!

Some of the folks on here that DO bash northerners were once northerners, themselves!!! And, sometimes I wonder if they mean to bash people moving here or if they just have a bad way of expressing themselves!

Vicki

Old 05-29-2013, 12:59 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,486 times
I've seen plenty of Ohio & Illinois recently...I think it's great! Just think Baskin Robbins...so many flavors in this area...love it!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
The Great Migration to North Carolina has and will have an epic effect on the state. And it's normal and natural for people who move to another place to make that place their own. The place changes to reflect that. That's the big picture. Can't stop it.

I learned not long ago that my British ancestors moved from England to Canada in 1832 (and lived there 80 years). The place they moved to has many of the the same place names as the area they left on the east coast of England. They chose a place in Canada that they could farm and that bordered a large body of water -- just like what they left in England. They didn't pick up the culture of the native people. They brought their own.

In big cities (NYC, LA, San Francisco), there are Chinatowns and Little Italy's... further evidence of people bringing their culture with them, and the area benefiting as a result.

So we can all "respect" NC culture...but don't expect us to make it our own, 100 percent, not ever. I personally don't eat pig, so you can keep your barbecue. And your okra. And grits.

Thank goodness there is a variety of pizza here in NC to keep everyone happy. I can't stand that floppy New Jersey version.

Many aspects of NC culture match many parts of the Northeast, which is a large area. Sometimes, it seems as if all of the Northeast is labeled a certain way, and people are really talking only about New York City, New Jersey, and Long Island.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 05-30-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary