Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 07:27 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times

Advertisements

hmm I may have to revisit my progress energy bill, thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 11:34 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
I agree. I wouldn't pay the premiums just to have a simpler bill. If you go over, they drop you from the program. It'll cost you more money overall. I'd rather have the extra money in the bank.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:29 AM

709 posts, read 935,436 times
Keep the heat at 61 at night and 65 daytime if home if out leave it at 61. Summer AC stays at 79 and maybe drop it to 76 at night when the sun goes down when its very hot for a few hours. Keep the ceiling fans going ONLY when you are in the room. Then you have low energy bills year round. I love months like Oct and Nov when between electric and natural gas my 2700 foot house has less than 100 dollar total bills!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:27 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
For the two of us, it has actually been cheaper to live here in Cary than what it was down on the coast in Wilmington. The biggest difference we have seen has been in the water bill, which is roughly 3X what we paid for water before.

Granted, all things may not be equal -- we do have a larger yard here, and pay for irrigation, whereas before, the homeowners' dues paid for irrigating the small neighborhood, where we were on a community system. The electric bill is much lower. I had bills as high as $300 in Wilmington, and I haven't seen one much over $200 here -- during the hottest month(s) AND we are in a larger home. We cook with gas, and the water heater is gas. Bills during the summer are almost non-existent -- I think we actually get billed for the minimum service? During the winter months, it runs maybe $90, depending upon how often we crank-up the gas logs in the family room.

I haven't gone with the "equal monthly pay plan" largely because I just don't trust things like that. Call me "old-fashioned" but I like getting my bill in the mail, and mailing-in a check. After living in a home for a year or longer, I have some idea of where the bill should be, based upon past bills.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:06 AM

62 posts, read 406,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
If you feel the premium is worth paying, go for it. Be aware though that the utility is touting this program since it's a moneymaker, not a convenience. The utilities commission made Progress explain it more clearly.
I agree. Call me a skeptic, but it seems like a really good way to keep you from knowing exactly what your monthly usage really is. If you are taking measures to reduce your usage, how would you know if they are effective or not until your bill adjusts the following year? Do you get reimbursed for the months you used less energy? For example you consume an avg of $150 worth of electric every month, but you take measures to drop that to say, $90/month and your payment doesn't adjust for 8 months. Do they reimburse you for the $480 you overpaid or just adjust your bill to $90? On the flip side, I am willing to bet a ton of money that if your average usage goes up from $150/month to $200/month they will adjust your plan before the next bill.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:12 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
Thumbs up agree

I agree...I never enrolled in any balanced billing options with any utility company. I receive the bill based on current months usage, cut a check or e-pay and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangoTango View Post
I agree. Call me a skeptic, but it seems like a really good way to keep you from knowing exactly what your monthly usage really is. If you are taking measures to reduce your usage, how would you know if they are effective or not until your bill adjusts the following year? Do you get reimbursed for the months you used less energy? For example you consume an avg of $150 worth of electric every month, but you take measures to drop that to say, $90/month and your payment doesn't adjust for 8 months. Do they reimburse you for the $480 you overpaid or just adjust your bill to $90? On the flip side, I am willing to bet a ton of money that if your average usage goes up from $150/month to $200/month they will adjust your plan before the next bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary