Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 05:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,267,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I haven't a clue what my husband is thinking most of the time and here these folks can tell what's running through the mind of a dog they haven't even seen. Impressed? I should say.

I've had dogs my whole life. Love them to pieces. I am ever so grateful for the kind-hearted folks who returned our dog after she escaped and headed for Five Guys Burgers & Fries. (I'm thinking she was barking the tune Born Free, but don't know for sure.)

But if she had run up to someone who was scared of dogs and got bonked with a ball bat or zapped with a stun baton, I'd have no one to blame but myself. It isn't the responsibility of others to care for my animals, check their tags, stand firm in the face of possible aggression, etc.
Agreed!

Thankfully most of the people I know with animals are responsible pet owners like yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 05:05 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I honestly don't think anyone here has advocated in favor of animal cruelty. At all.

Just self defense.
Self defense against a dog, on a leash, in the owners hands. It's all there in writing.

Again, no one is convincing anyone of anything here, the point is, rather than carry around a weapon to diffuse an issue like this, why not try simply communicating with the owner first.

Poppydog put it a lot better than me - there are many ways to solve this issue without stun guns or baseball bats or glocks, why escalate it to that right out of the gates (no pun intended). That's really it. For anyone willing to set their ego aside and truly solve a situation versus exacerbate it, check out any one of the many links that member posted.

Good luck to the OP and anyone else in a similar situation, hope you make the right call.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:09 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,890,710 times
Quote:
I honestly don't think anyone here has advocated in favor of animal cruelty. At all.
Just self defense.
Getting back to the OP's question:
I really don't know what to do. That's the reason I came her to seek help.

I'd like to see more advocating for adults with a fear of dogs to have already thought through all these
very common things that dogs will do and happen every day *somewhere* ... to already have a strategy
and an approach for how *they* should react to dog behavior and be prepared to act when in that situation.
None of which needs to require any weapons.

Cesar’s Mini-Course on Fear of Dogs:
http://www.cesarsway.com/dogbehavior...ar-of-Dogs-WSJ

Last edited by MrRational; 05-27-2013 at 05:18 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 05:13 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,673,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm really impressed with all the people on this forum who have the unique skill of knowing what a strange dog is thinking. I had no idea there were so many "dog whisperers" on this forum!

Exactly. I don't assume that a loose dog is friendly. If I'm with my kids I assume otherwise.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:37 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,314,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy

I'm really impressed with all the people on this forum who have the unique skill of knowing what a strange dog is thinking. I had no idea there were so many "dog whisperers" on this forum!
Exactly. I don't assume that a loose dog is friendly. If I'm with my kids I assume otherwise.
So you have the unique skill of assuming all loose dogs are aggressive?

I never said that I knew it was a friendly dog. I said that most of the time when you encounter a loose dog (and you are not in its territory, nor with a dog, nor running) then the dog will not usually be aggressive. Do you want me to look up the stats for you? The scenario the OP described did not shout out aggressive dog to me, but if the dog was approaching and the OP did not want it to, whether aggressive or not, I gave several tips to make it back down w/o resorting to hitting it with a baseball bat or using other similar acts of aggression against it.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Getting back to the OP's question:
I really don't know what to do. That's the reason I came her to seek help.

I'd like to see more advocating for adults with a fear of dogs to have already thought through all these
very common things that dogs will do and happen every day *somewhere* ... to already have a strategy
and an approach for how *they* should react to dog behavior and be prepared to act when in that situation.
None of which needs to require any weapons.

Cesar’s Mini-Course on Fear of Dogs:
http://www.cesarsway.com/dogbehavior...ar-of-Dogs-WSJ
Not a huge Cesar fan, but it's good to post more resources. People will encounter dogs. It really sounds like the OP does not like dogs or does not like loose dogs. Please check the link MrRational posted and all the links that I posted for more info on what to do when you encounter a strange dog.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:04 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,673,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
So you have the unique skill of assuming all loose dogs are aggressive?

I never said that I knew it was a friendly dog. I said that most of the time when you encounter a loose dog (and you are not in its territory, nor with a dog, nor running) then the dog will not usually be aggressive. Do you want me to look up the stats for you? The scenario the OP described did not shout out aggressive dog to me, but if the dog was approaching and the OP did not want it to, whether aggressive or not, I gave several tips to make it back down w/o resorting to hitting it with a baseball bat or using other similar acts of aggression against it.

In general, I do not assume that a loose dog is friendly. It's not a skill but probably some deep rooted instinct. Especially more so if my kids are with me. If we encounter a loose dog I become more alert. I do not bash its head in, I simply let it pass. Now, should that loose dog act aggressively I will do everything I can to keep myself/kids safe. Should I see said dog on the loose again while I'm out and said dog acts aggressive, well then it's time to <Peta edit> the *(&^er. But again, if the loose dog is not aggressive...no big deal.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:38 PM

51,641 posts, read 25,774,605 times
Quote:
Again? I think that stun baton was insurance for if that dog got loose.

Exactly. Never purchased the thing, but looked into when we realized we were avoiding going on walks because we'd had several uncomfortable encounters with an aggressive dog that the owner had difficulty controling.

If a dog is close enough to me or one of my kids that I can whack it with a stun baton, then it is too darn close. Leash or no leash.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:51 PM

51,641 posts, read 25,774,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2008 View Post
I was walking with my 5-mo old baby in stroller in our community after dinner tonight. An unleashed black dog was running to us. I was totally scared, I screamed and cried when it was running to us. It looked like not in control. It tried to approach my baby and its mouth was opened abnormal. I covered my baby right away and was ready to fight with it. At that time, an old couple pass-by helped me and yelled at this freak dog. I can't image what will happen without their help.
The owner of this dog was not around and never show. There is a tag under its neck. I don't know whose dog it is and what happened to this dog.

Before it rushed to us, I noticed that it had same issue with another man with his white dog which is leashed. At that time, that unleashed black dog didn't show calmly. The guy was asking whose dog is this and tried to leave this dog, as this black dog barked to his own dog.

I really don't know what to do. That's the reason I came her to seek help. I have never met such an unleashed dog. All the time, when I walked with my baby, all the people with their on-leash dogs stand on the edge of the road and let us go first, which I really appreciate.

I am scared now, I don't want to walk outside anymore as I am afraid of this kind of dog. But I really want to enjoy the nice weather recently with my baby. What should I do?
In rereading this, I see no plea for learning how to be calm when approached by a strange dog who appears out of control. I see no request for how one learns to be less afraid of dogs.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 PM

She asked "what should I do?"

My answer was to advise her on how to act so the dog does not attack her (which includes remaining calm and not screaming and running away) and what she can do to prevent having to encounter the dog on the loose again (try to talk to the owner or call Animal Control).

Some people advised pepper spray, baseball bats, stun guns, etc. I think that's more than is called for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary