Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
The challenge with that location is, Fayetteville, Wilmington and Eastern NC are not classic IKEA markets. Young families/professionals, college students and folks in transition are. More urban areas would tend to attract them.

My assumption of the 40/85 corridor is due to the much higher vehicular traffic, proximity to the Triad, and close to UNC, NC State and Duke. Essentially, pick up the Triangle plus all the through traffic on I-85, which is a significant N/S corridor.

I just can't imagine the ENC market being attractive to IKEA. Not that I don't think it will be some years before they come here, mind you.
~Half of the Triangle CSA population is in Wake County and it continues to add greater numbers than the rest of the Triangle. It makes zero sense to locate an Ikea north and/or west of Durham. Certainly west of Durham is more convenient to the GSO/W-S but the Triad already has Ikea on their side of Charlotte which allows them access without having to traverse through Metrolina. Beyond Durham, there's very little up I-85 to create demand for a store. Once one gets to any sort of real civilization in the Richmond area, they are already served by Ikea in Woodbridge/Dale City.

On the other hand, I-40 southeast of Raleigh creates a market that Ikea already doesn't reach. Say what one wants but inexpensive furnishings will appeal to military families in Fayetteville, the growing Wilmington area and all the mid sized cities down east.

If this future decision was only about the Triangle, the best location would be Morrisville. In fact, that old outlet mall location is probably the best location to locate centrally to the population of the Triangle. However, I just don't see Ikea making that sort of decision. because they will want to expand their market reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 11:13 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
I don't know their official criteria, but I think we're large enough already when you consider the metro area. Bring them on! I would shop at IKEA a lot more if there was one closer.

Meatballs anyone?
Mmmmmm.... Horse meat.

Personally I could live without Ikea. It's a cool store to pick up some small things, but I wouldn't shop there too much if it were closer. I used to live 40 minutes from one, and only went there once every year or so. I could see them building one in the area though. We have sufficient population.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:59 PM

4,590 posts, read 6,422,669 times
Some great points have been pointed out already, however, Alamance County should be included in Triangle population figures for purposes of a being in the same shopping market.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:34 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Sure, if an IKEA was on the SW or NW side of the Triangle I think the Alamance folks and many of the Triad folks might go there instead of to the Charlotte one. If the Triangle IKEA was on the SE side (near Clayton, Benson, Smithfield, etc), I don't know — might be a toss up. I have a friend in Alamance Co who refuses to drive further east than Chapel Hill. She does most of her shopping in the Triad and points west and will go into CH and Carrboro for activities, but no further.

Last edited by poppydog; 06-06-2013 at 03:12 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 02:49 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
Every time I read this thread, I think my IQ drops a couple of points! On the plus side, at least it's not about Wegmans!

Old 06-06-2013, 03:04 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Doesn't make any sense to stick one right between two current Ikea stores, which is what the I-85/I-40 corridor does. Moot point anyways, as it's not planned, and likely to never happen.

But if it were, Morrisville, near the old outlet mall, would be a major boost to renovating the shopping in that area.
IMO, the Prime Outlets site in Morrisville would be the perfect spot for Ikea in the triangle. Ignoring about one hour of crummy traffic on I-40 each afternoon, it's smack in the middle of the region and easily accessible by freeway from all corners of the Triangle. The parcel is exactly the right size (same as Charlotte's Ikea: 25 acres.) No doubt its zoning wouldn't need to change at all. The mall's owners are already actively coming up with a plan for what to do with it.

If Ikea had any interest at all in coming to the Triangle right now, this is probably where they would wind up.

Last edited by orulz; 06-06-2013 at 03:16 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 06:27 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,178 times
Oh, But I like saving Ikea as a biannual destination. If it were nearby, it just wouldn't be the same! my parents live near IKEA in Northern Va...and promising my kids a trip to IKEA is the only way I can get my kids to visit their grandfolk. We have lunch (sorry, those meatballs are NOT horsemeat), stock up on Swedish goodies just like great grandma used to make, buy something I've been eyeing in the catalog for a long time, and pick up some inexpensive decorative items.

I agree, though, that Morrisville location would be good....

Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Every time I read this thread, I think my IQ drops a couple of points! On the plus side, at least it's not about Wegmans!
Wait! It's NOT about Wegman's? Why the heck are we here? Fios?

Old 06-06-2013, 06:55 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
IMO, the Prime Outlets site in Morrisville would be the perfect spot for Ikea in the triangle. Ignoring about one hour of crummy traffic on I-40 each afternoon, it's smack in the middle of the region and easily accessible by freeway from all corners of the Triangle. The parcel is exactly the right size (same as Charlotte's Ikea: 25 acres.) No doubt its zoning wouldn't need to change at all. The mall's owners are already actively coming up with a plan for what to do with it.

If Ikea had any interest at all in coming to the Triangle right now, this is probably where they would wind up.
Agreed, totally.
But, could the parking there handle a cult store traffic flow?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:25 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
FWIW IKEA will deliver to Raleigh for $129.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary