Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:57 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,239,764 times

Advertisements

I agree, Granville County is not in the Triangle and 2.5 hrs to Woodbridge is ridiculous. I can make it to the Charlotte IKEA in that time, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:13 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,554,106 times
Yeah...google maps tells me 3.5 hours to Woodbridge from Durham. The 2.5 definitely isn't representative of driving time from the Triangle as most would see it.

Still hoping for one in this area. New Jersey has several within a commuter's driving distance - I figure our state's population can surely support two.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 AM

352 posts, read 548,849 times
Default Ikea in Richmond and Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
As for other metros, I can only comment on Richmond. Since there's an Ikea south of DC in Woodbridge/Dale City, I doubt that Richmond is on the near radar. They are already within striking distance.
I'll go even farther than that. There are two Ikeas in the DC area. There's an Ikea on the south side of the beltway (on the Virginia side, Woodbridge) and another on the north side (College Park area).. so yeah.. very doubtful that Richmond would get an Ikea. These two serve both DC (and suburbs) and Baltimore (and suburbs) which adds up to a huge number of people.

I think the Triangle has enough population, but analysts must have done the numbers.. it's population vs. how many people would actually buy stuff there.. and looks like they decided Charlotte is good enough (interested parties will drive to CLT). Also, Ikea tends to focus on urban areas.. small, utilitarian, slick furniture that will be used in condos, apartments, small spaces. Since the Triangle is mostly suburban with single family homes and plenty of space, this is not their target market.

Last edited by VASpaceMan; 09-09-2013 at 11:20 AM..

Old 09-09-2013, 11:13 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,239,764 times
New IKEA CEO says to speed new store opening, no numeric target | Reuters

Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 AM

292 posts, read 506,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
I think the Triangle has enough population, but analysts must have done the numbers.. it's population vs. how many people would actually buy stuff there.. and looks like they decided Charlotte is good enough (interested parties will drive to CLT). Also, Ikea tends to focus on urban areas.. small, utilitarian, slick furniture that will be used in condos, apartments, small spaces. Since the Triangle is mostly suburban with single family homes and plenty of space, this is not their target market.
Lots of colleges, dorms/on-off campus rentals in this area though. I would think the market is there, unless it's just that it's already saturated with too many furniture store options already.

I think the Charlotte metropolitan area population is something like 2.3 million, and the Raleigh-Durham-ChapelHill area is 2.0 million at last count.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,879,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
All in all things went well. She did have to warn me a couple of times not to put it in the wrong hole.
Are you talking about fooling around all the way to Ikea?

Old 09-09-2013, 02:42 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,879,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glazersight View Post
Lots of colleges, dorms/on-off campus rentals in this area though. I would think the market is there, unless it's just that it's already saturated with too many furniture store options already.

I think the Charlotte metropolitan area population is something like 2.3 million, and the Raleigh-Durham-ChapelHill area is 2.0 million at last count.
Charlotte Ikea probably knows that Triangle shoppers are willing to drive up to shop there. I wouldn't hold your breath for Ikea here any time soon. Sounds like time for a road trip

Old 09-09-2013, 03:07 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,309,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glazersight View Post
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill MSA is at 1.7 million, which is what IKEA looks at.

Charlotte's MSA is 2.3 million, with a CSA of 2.4 million; Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill CSA is 1.9 million.

Raleigh isn't likely to get an IKEA. Just because the population is nearing the requirements doesn't mean you're getting a store. If that were the case, for instance, Indianapolis would have one. The Indianapolis store is almost 2 hours away from the Cincinnati store and having 1.9 million in their metropolitan area; Charlotte to Raleigh is only 2 and a half hours.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:10 PM

292 posts, read 506,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Charlotte Ikea probably knows that Triangle shoppers are willing to drive up to shop there. I wouldn't hold your breath for Ikea here any time soon. Sounds like time for a road trip
Some time back I saw this service:

IKEA® Delivery

Although, I'm not sure that's a substitute for hands-on shopping when it comes to furniture.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:15 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,662,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Are you talking about fooling around all the way to Ikea?
I see what you did there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary