Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 03:49 PM

945 posts, read 1,973,491 times

Advertisements

Troubled economy could delay toll road construction :: WRAL.com

I am glad we did not pick Holly Springs based on the road being done. I wonder what will happen with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 06:42 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,866,801 times
Default NC540 Extension

Maybe it's a good thing that this road is delayed as with a bit of luck the new Governor may decide how stupid the decision to make the I-540 extension a Toll Road with a bunch of additional pen pushers costing more money than they will ever collect to collect it

I do feel sorry for the people who have invested in Fuqay Varina and Holly Springs with the expectation of a better road to get access to RTP than Highway 55 or Davis Drive but who will endure even busier traffic as a consequence of the delay.

It is beyond belief that only this segment of 540 will be a toll road and that the people living in North Raleigh get free use of their secrion paid with the taxpayer dollars of those of us in the south west section who will have to pay everytime we use 540 - remember that's how the Boston Tea Party started and got the British kicked out of the US

Old 10-15-2008, 08:51 PM

I am against toll roads all together. It is an insane policy. You have to pay millions more to install the tolls, which then cause some delays and reduce use of the new road. There are many other ways to raise money. Even if you do not use the road, it can be a benefit if others do and they are no longer on the road you are using. I remember how they told us the tolls would come off the roads in MA when they were paid for. .......................still waiting

Old 10-16-2008, 04:48 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,348,084 times
IMO its just a short term delay. Both candidates are saying they will create jobs by rebuilding US infrastructure so Uncle Sam spending our tax dollars will give give give away Billions of dollars to build roads, bridges, and toll booths as soon as they get elected. It's a sure thing! Best way to get America working is build another bridge or highway to connect somewhere to nowhere. Like dashed lines on our highway system so will be the earmarks for the bridges to nowhere! I don't think Alaska has cornered the market on those type of projects!

Editorial off subject section: The US Economy will recover when CONGRESS STOPS SPENDING MONEY THEY DON'T HAVE as we consumers are learning to do! When will they learn what we learned, we can do more with less while our elected representatives do less with more!

Old 10-16-2008, 05:47 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,182,444 times
Keep the toll roads where the sun don't shine.

Once the politicians get their hands in your wallet, they will keep digging deeper every time you turn around.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:34 AM

502 posts, read 1,741,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
I am against toll roads all together. It is an insane policy. You have to pay millions more to install the tolls, which then cause some delays and reduce use of the new road. There are many other ways to raise money. Even if you do not use the road, it can be a benefit if others do and they are no longer on the road you are using. I remember how they told us the tolls would come off the roads in MA when they were paid for. .......................still waiting
I'm not totally against tolls, but putting a toll on a "local" highway is kind of stupid. The big attraction of tolls is that you can bring in "out of state" revenue to help pay for your infrastructure used by people from "out of state". So you toll a road like I-95, and then offer reduced price options for your in-state drivers. That is the real benefit for tolls to me. If you drive up the east coast, you'll find that most of the northern states toll the major highways that get heavy "out of state" traffic.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:04 AM

513 posts, read 1,606,201 times
i hope it never gets built! it will be in my back yard lol

Old 10-16-2008, 11:29 AM

544 posts, read 853,189 times
Good. We've already paid for these roads once. If the Governor would stop raiding the highway trust fund maybe there would be more money for highway maintenance.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:39 PM

76 posts, read 265,416 times
Default Sweat?

But they also say in the article:
"Both parties met with the Turnpike Authority Tuesday to consider extending the terms of the deal. Joyner said he is still confident the project will happen and that a completion date of 2011 is still possible."
These kinds of articles come out when everyone starts getting hysterical. And people have a tendency to interpret "might be delayed" into "isn't going to happen".

All makes you wonder if half the problem isn't media gloom and doom.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard_bss View Post
All makes you wonder if half the problem isn't media gloom and doom.
I think 75% of our problems are media doom & gloom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary