Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 11:11 AM

774 posts, read 1,851,548 times

Advertisements

I've only been here a few weeks and I'm blown away at the beauty ... the "low-keyed" casual friendliness, and all the places to explore!

True, I can see this place isn't for everyone.
If you're a confirmed Urbanite who just has to have a lot of external pre-planned "things" to do, then this may not be your place. Still, there's a lot of malls for those who think that's a fun way to live, and places to shop...

It's outdoors that blows me away.

Extreme beauty is everywhere. Lakes and tails to hike. Camp-outs to have. Parks to enjoy.

And if you think Durham is, "backward" ... be warned... the city's motto seems to be: "The City of Science."
The place is crawling with college and university campuses. There's so many hospitals here that you probably run the risk of getting hurt bumping into one.

So far, I'm picking up more of an East Coast vibe ... with a Southern pace and accent.
I drove to Whole Foods the second day I was here and felt like I'd driven completely across the country only to land back in Berkeley.

The same alienation that comes from too many hours in school.
The same, "I attend(ed) such-and-such university... so I'm better than you.... but lonely as hell."
But this place is far nicer.
Classier.

Berkeley attracts very intelligent ... but "conflict/crisis" oriented people who seem to be continually on edge. (Perhaps the ratio of "rats in the cage" has an effect too... there's a lot more space here and people seem to be a lot calmer.)

So far, the N.C. natives seem to be the most relaxed. There's going to be dunderheads everywhere. But my first impressions is ... if I can find the right place to buy... this place and these people will help me heal. It's on me.

The challenges of meeting people where they're at ... calmer ... sometimes a bit more reserved... and sometimes a LOT more ... fundamentalist... is going to force me to work on just the inner issues that I need to face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 11:14 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,111,885 times
I'm glad you're enjoying it here!

This really is a beautiful place. It's the trees. We have lovely trees.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:19 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,293,196 times
Welcome to NC! I'm glad you're liking it here.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:33 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,748,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post

So far, I'm picking up more of an East Coast vibe ... with a Southern pace and accent.
Since NC is on the East Coast, it makes sense that you would get an "East Coast" vibe

Glad you're enjoying the area! From what I recall of your previous posts, Durham is the perfect place for you.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:20 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,662,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Since NC is on the East Coast, it makes sense that you would get an "East Coast" vibe

Perhaps he was expecting more of a southern vibe

Old 06-09-2013, 02:31 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,202,265 times
I thought "dunderhead" was MY own word to describe people-didn't know others used it too!

When I was moving from the midwest and told people moving east, I was always corrected that I was moving South, but I don't feel this is totally "south" compared to when I visited, say Mississippi once. Now, THAT has a southern feel. This is more "partially south" IMO.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:44 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,230,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

Glad you're enjoying the area! From what I recall of your previous posts, Durham is the perfect place for you.
OP probably meant more of the BosWash vibe.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:11 PM

774 posts, read 1,851,548 times
Default huge thanks to all

Thanks all .. and thanks everyone I've bugged ... for gawd knows how long... on helping me (finally) make a decision!

Old 06-09-2013, 06:57 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,514,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I've only been here a few weeks and I'm blown away at the beauty ... the "low-keyed" casual friendliness, and all the places to explore!

True, I can see this place isn't for everyone.
If you're a confirmed Urbanite who just has to have a lot of external pre-planned "things" to do, then this may not be your place. Still, there's a lot of malls for those who think that's a fun way to live, and places to shop...

It's outdoors that blows me away.

Extreme beauty is everywhere. Lakes and tails to hike. Camp-outs to have. Parks to enjoy.

And if you think Durham is, "backward" ... be warned... the city's motto seems to be: "The City of Science."
The place is crawling with college and university campuses. There's so many hospitals here that you probably run the risk of getting hurt bumping into one.

I drove to Whole Foods the second day I was here and felt like I'd driven completely across the country only to land back in Berkeley.

The same alienation that comes from too many hours in school.
The same, "I attend(ed) such-and-such university... so I'm better than you.... but lonely as hell."
But this place is far nicer.
Classier.

Berkeley attracts very intelligent ... but "conflict/crisis" oriented people who seem to be continually on edge. (Perhaps the ratio of "rats in the cage" has an effect too... there's a lot more space here and people seem to be a lot calmer.)

So far, the N.C. natives seem to be the most relaxed. There's going to be dunderheads everywhere. But my first impressions is ... if I can find the right place to buy... this place and these people will help me heal. It's on me.

The challenges of meeting people where they're at ... calmer ... sometimes a bit more reserved... and sometimes a LOT more ... fundamentalist... is going to force me to work on just the inner issues that I need to face.
So glad to read this. We are still in Seattle, but have finally made firm plans to move back to the Triangle. I miss the laid-back, friendly vibe. Less rigidity, less "crisis mode" personal drama and hang-ups about food and lifestyle choices. I think the expansive space makes a huge difference in how people relate to one another, along with a nice dose of Southern humor and kindness. The fundamentalists won't bother me as much this time around -- now that I've hung out with militant liberals for 10 years, though I'm 95% one of them, I look forward to living around people with diverse viewpoints. You are going to love it!

Old 06-09-2013, 07:01 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,047,519 times
Glad to read posts from people with such positive attitudes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary