Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:28 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,318,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
That pretty much hits the nail on the head!

Which would you choose?

NRG that is perfect!!!! I don't know if I should get into the Zap vehicle or pick it up and put it back into the old matchbox car case I had as a kid!

I love the Zap but staring at the front end of an Expedition or a Suburban while in the Zap will scare the 'gas' right out of me and my little Zap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 10:06 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,130,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Vicky

Look at the price of crude oil. Its now over 90 a barrel, that equates with over 5 dollar a gallon gasoline this spring or even late winter if we have a good cold spell in the country. This has major implications for the triangle. Gasoline shortages will cause gas lines again and just wait to see what that will do to the housing market down here in the triangle.
And your constant complaining helps this in what way???

Are you that worried or do you just enjoy promoting "doom and gloom"???

No matter what you say or what I say, whatever will be will be.

I'm not picking on you per se. I dislike being around people who constantly whine about anything or everything!

Vicki

Old 11-06-2007, 06:08 AM

266 posts, read 589,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
And your constant complaining helps this in what way???

Are you that worried or do you just enjoy promoting "doom and gloom"???

No matter what you say or what I say, whatever will be will be.

I'm not picking on you per se. I dislike being around people who constantly whine about anything or everything!

Vicki
People who raise their voices like this can help promote a mass transit infrastructure which is badly needed in the triangle. The politicians cannot see what happened in Atlanta as proof that we need one here. Somehow, mass transit is seen in the south as only ridden by poor people or by feel good liberal hippies.

As a transplant northerner, I do not wish to impose my cultural beliefs on Raleigh, but IF Raleigh wants to be a major player in growth, it has to realize that it can't take the "we should all drive cars everywhere" approach. It ALWAYS fails, and at worse case Raleigh could be hurled back into the very small town infrastructure that it was, which will make some southerners happy since many transplants would most certainly exit stage left but it would generate enormous economic disaster for many who count on transplants for its vitality.

The "doom and gloom" all contain a message, and I've always provided what MY solution would be in each thread. The hyped up consumer fad has run to insane levels and must stop now. It's hurt some now, or hurt very badly later.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:15 AM

266 posts, read 589,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
NRG that is perfect!!!! I don't know if I should get into the Zap vehicle or pick it up and put it back into the old matchbox car case I had as a kid!

I love the Zap but staring at the front end of an Expedition or a Suburban while in the Zap will scare the 'gas' right out of me and my little Zap!
The Zap, Smarte Car, etc are great for urban environments and I've often seen them in European roads. Perfect for squeezing into small spaces. The ideal situation is to have a compact for regular use and one of these for smaller commutes and slower driving. I used to own an SUV (Cherokee), and I'm happy to have sold it and gotten something more practical.

Interesting note is that hybrids are actually higher on the carbon footprint than a Corolla. The battery is highly toxic and hard to dispose of, plus it goes out quickly. People assume that because something's a hybrid, they feel as though its the creme de la creme of environmentalism.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:16 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,318,886 times
.....Trains...mass transit along the Rt 1 North/South and Rt 40 East/West corridor. What a novel idea to create jobs, reduce the carbon footprint, and let people actually read, talk on the phone, and do their work safely while letting someone else drive instead of them doing it while driving at 65mph! We can fund a study on why corn grows from a seed yet can't afford a study on rail service for the area. We can afford to pay for a study to see the effects of a high powered bullet shot at a reinforced wall but can't afford to pay for alternative fuel resources.

Maybe its just a matter of seeing who benefits from mass transit and who looses with mass transit and that may speak volumes on why we don't have more mass transit opportunities in this country.

[CENTER]Where there is no vision, the people perish.
Proverbs 29:18
[/CENTER]

Old 11-06-2007, 07:20 AM

39 posts, read 169,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frudy McRomson View Post
The Zap, Smarte Car, etc are great for urban environments and I've often seen them in European roads. Perfect for squeezing into small spaces. The ideal situation is to have a compact for regular use and one of these for smaller commutes and slower driving. I used to own an SUV (Cherokee), and I'm happy to have sold it and gotten something more practical.

Interesting note is that hybrids are actually higher on the carbon footprint than a Corolla. The battery is highly toxic and hard to dispose of, plus it goes out quickly. People assume that because something's a hybrid, they feel as though its the creme de la creme of environmentalism.
As a Prius owner, I'm afraid you've been misinformed. My NiMH battery pack is designed to last at least 150,000 miles and most likely longer. And as it is NiMH it is recyclable.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:59 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,618,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
That pretty much hits the nail on the head!

Which would you choose?

You'll get zapped in that one, all right, the way people drive around here.
You'd be crazy to put your life on the line in a matchbox car just to save a couple bucks.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:00 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,130,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesCerwin View Post
As a Prius owner, I'm afraid you've been misinformed. My NiMH battery pack is designed to last at least 150,000 miles and most likely longer. And as it is NiMH it is recyclable.
I'm afraid he is misinformed on alot of issues.

Some people love to hear themselves spout garbage and do not have an open mind to even listen, much less consider, other people may be more informed than they are.

Vicki

Old 11-06-2007, 09:06 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,879,318 times
Anybody want to join me on the swing? If not wanna play with trucks in the sand box? I am having peanut and jelly sandwich for lunch. I will trade you my oreo cookies for your Cheesesteak from that place in Clayton.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:11 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,664,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frudy McRomson View Post
People who raise their voices like this can help promote a mass transit infrastructure which is badly needed in the triangle. The politicians cannot see what happened in Atlanta as proof that we need one here. Somehow, mass transit is seen in the south as only ridden by poor people or by feel good liberal hippies.

As a transplant northerner, I do not wish to impose my cultural beliefs on Raleigh, but IF Raleigh wants to be a major player in growth, it has to realize that it can't take the "we should all drive cars everywhere" approach. It ALWAYS fails, and at worse case Raleigh could be hurled back into the very small town infrastructure that it was, which will make some southerners happy since many transplants would most certainly exit stage left but it would generate enormous economic disaster for many who count on transplants for its vitality.

The "doom and gloom" all contain a message, and I've always provided what MY solution would be in each thread. The hyped up consumer fad has run to insane levels and must stop now. It's hurt some now, or hurt very badly later.
Actually Raleigh and Atlanta have been working together for some time now to try and learn from Atlanta's growth to benefit Raleigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Anybody want to join me on the swing? If not wanna play with trucks in the sand box? I am having peanut and jelly sandwich for lunch. I will trade you my oreo cookies for your Cheesesteak from that place in Clayton.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149/autumngal_photo/treeswing.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary