Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:55 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,338,215 times

Advertisements

Is it me or has the news about the economy, housing, oil, crime, drought, schools just been getting worse and worse. Some appears to be nothing more than saber rattling and self fulfilling prophecies for some. One can surely make themselves feel bad with negative news and other peoples opinions. Things are never as bad as they seem nor as good as they seem. I agree that we are in a challenging time but no more than our parents and their parents experienced in their life times. And one can debate its no where near as bad as our parents and their parents once faced.

Some anecdotal relief to hopefully help:

1. Every house will eventually sell. Some will sell sooner than others. Ones in good locations and priced right will sell sooner than ones that are not.

2. If you bought high and the market falls you won't get as much if you must sell in a
down market.

3. If your house doubled in 2 years time and you want to make a big capital gains profit you may want to sell it. If not then you always have great conversational subject matter for new transplants you will meet at your yearly Christmas parties.

4. The jury is still out if a country that had a manufacturing based economy can prosper in a service based economy, time will tell us the answer. Data and statistics will only confuse us in the meantime.

5. Schools are what 'WE' as adults made them. Don't blame the kids as they only inherited them. If you don't like your school then get involved join the PSTA or school board they are always looking for the bright energetic ones that have all the answers to their problems.

6. The drought did not happen yesterday or last week. It has taken time and will take time to get out of it. Conserve, conserve, and then conserve some more as that's the simplest solution I have heard to date.

7. High oil prices, now there is a new phenomenon. Let see we can blame the government, other countries, oil companies, but one only has to look in their garages and the distances they travel to school/work/shop to know where the real problem lies.

Sorry for the long winded thread but wanted to hit all the negative threads I read recently and cover them all in one.

Remember this is the first day of the rest of your life, will it be for good or not? Be happy folks because it sure beats the alternative!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 09:57 AM

579 posts, read 2,862,608 times
Brilliant post!

I like the advice at the end... reminds of one my favorite quotes: Live every day like it's your last because one day, it will be.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:10 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,016,946 times
Some people invest in prosperity, some invest in dispair, some just exist. The life you live is the one you want to live. Unfortunately there are those in here who have their financial investment in dispair and are hoping for and working to encourage gloom. If some one tells you they are big time into gold beware of their tomorrow. If someone tells you they are investing in children, then partner with them at the playground of life.
Just my three cents worth.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:30 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,691,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Some people invest in prosperity, some invest in dispair, some just exist. The life you live is the one you want to live. Unfortunately there are those in here who have their financial investment in dispair and are hoping for and working to encourage gloom. If some one tells you they are big time into gold beware of their tomorrow. If someone tells you they are investing in children, then partner with them at the playground of life.
Awesome perspective. Tried to give you a point, but must spread some around.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:34 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,338,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Great advise, I too wanted to give you a point but must spread it around along with my cheer!!!!

Old 11-05-2007, 01:45 PM

Thank you guys that means you have given before and I am appreciative of that. Sooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn the wife and I will actually be living in the Triangle and let me tell all who are considering the move go for it. The people here are great and the positive vibes for tomorrow are there. My son moved here two years ago and loves it. Just compare the topices in the Triange Thread with those in other states and you will understand. Here folks are worried about where is the best real philly cheesesteak. I don't know that answer and many of the other questions. However since we will be retired when we get here I am hoping to become a consultant in City-Data on food and pictures of neighborhoods. I will never match North Raleigh Guy for he is our idol.
Wait I just checked out the waist line and will need to focus on neighborhood pictures for awhile. See ya all at the playground.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:20 PM

266 posts, read 590,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Is it me or has the news about the economy, housing, oil, crime, drought, schools just been getting worse and worse. Some appears to be nothing more than saber rattling and self fulfilling prophecies for some. One can surely make themselves feel bad with negative news and other peoples opinions. Things are never as bad as they seem nor as good as they seem. I agree that we are in a challenging time but no more than our parents and their parents experienced in their life times. And one can debate its no where near as bad as our parents and their parents once faced.

Some anecdotal relief to hopefully help:

1. Every house will eventually sell. Some will sell sooner than others. Ones in good locations and priced right will sell sooner than ones that are not.

2. If you bought high and the market falls you won't get as much if you must sell in a
down market.

3. If your house doubled in 2 years time and you want to make a big capital gains profit you may want to sell it. If not then you always have great conversational subject matter for new transplants you will meet at your yearly Christmas parties.

4. The jury is still out if a country that had a manufacturing based economy can prosper in a service based economy, time will tell us the answer. Data and statistics will only confuse us in the meantime.

5. Schools are what 'WE' as adults made them. Don't blame the kids as they only inherited them. If you don't like your school then get involved join the PSTA or school board they are always looking for the bright energetic ones that have all the answers to their problems.

6. The drought did not happen yesterday or last week. It has taken time and will take time to get out of it. Conserve, conserve, and then conserve some more as that's the simplest solution I have heard to date.

7. High oil prices, now there is a new phenomenon. Let see we can blame the government, other countries, oil companies, but one only has to look in their garages and the distances they travel to school/work/shop to know where the real problem lies.

Sorry for the long winded thread but wanted to hit all the negative threads I read recently and cover them all in one.

Remember this is the first day of the rest of your life, will it be for good or not? Be happy folks because it sure beats the alternative!
I'm much more fun at parties!

I only invest in "doom and gloom". Forums to me are only informational. I don't really use them for entertainment.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,223,917 times
People are people. Some enjoy their negative thoughts and some of us are more positive in our attitude and in life, in general.

You know that old saying "misery loves company"? Well, I could point out the miserable ones in any group but I'm sure most of you know who they are here!!!

Sometimes, only sometimes, I feel very sorry for them.

Vicki

Old 11-05-2007, 05:08 PM

Smile I have no doubt you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frudy McRomson View Post
I'm much more fun at parties!

I only invest in "doom and gloom". Forums to me are only informational. I don't really use them for entertainment.
Thats why I posted the links to your guru. The difficulty you have is knowing that if you are right it means pain and suffering for millions. I would not expect you to be altruistic in your investments. I am not. My only question with your strategy is not if it is right or wrong but do you want to be right? If you couldn't wouldn't you prefer to be wrong? Do you want to raise your children in a world where you were right or wrong? I am sure that investment philosophy is great conversation at a party or that without that topic you are fun at a party. My only advice is keep it away from the playground as the soccer moms might use you for a kicking drill

Old 11-05-2007, 05:11 PM

709 posts, read 933,762 times
Oil, gang its peak oil. China is using american dollars it has and is bidding up the price. Americans are clueless to this oil mess. Its OVER happy american motoring Nascar sundays will be a thing of the past much sooner than you think. You could be paying 5 to 6 dollars a gallon for gasoline!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary