Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:48 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times

Advertisements

I think living here you just learn the things to avoid ( blackberry vines , ect) You don't stick your hands into a woodpile or weeded area without checking it out first.

My boys played in the woods their entire childhood. No snake bites, a few chiggers & a few ticks ..

If I moved to NYC I would have to learn how to stay safe in the city, what neighborhoods to avoid.
It's the same..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 12:21 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I think living here you just learn the things to avoid ( blackberry vines , ect) You don't stick your hands into a woodpile or weeded area without checking it out first.

My boys played in the woods their entire childhood. No snake bites, a few chiggers & a few ticks ..

If I moved to NYC I would have to learn how to stay safe in the city, what neighborhoods to avoid.
It's the same..
Is there something special about blackberry vines?

Old 06-18-2013, 05:05 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
They're blackberry bushes...and it was a big deal to have a patch of them growing on your property...a big deal in a good way. Nothing like a big dollop of homemade blackberry cobbler after a supper of fresh homegrown vegetables in the summer.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:23 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
We always got covered in chiggers when we went blackberry picking as kids.. Probably because they
grow wild and we were in tall weeds & grasses to find them..
Speaking of blackberries..when are they ripe?? Soon I hope..

Old 06-18-2013, 05:27 PM

164 posts, read 287,439 times
Oh, the irony. I can't keep the wild blackberry vines out of my yard here in the PNW. lol They grow like gangbusters and are considered a 'weed' to most in our area!

Old 06-18-2013, 05:28 PM

164 posts, read 287,439 times
On the flip side, I can't grow a tomato to save my life out here. Ooof.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:18 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,566 times
Near as I can tell, blackberry bushes are the native habitat of the American Chigger. I got the worst infestation of my life while trying to pick blackberries. So I guess whether you indulge or not depends on how much you like blackberries. And chiggers.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:21 PM

223 posts, read 315,046 times
This has been a pretty handy education in Chiggers and other nasties.

If it were just me, I probably wouldn't give much concern to this issue. I think that as long as you're aware of your surroundings and all, you should be fine. I'm not totally in love with not being able to play around outside with reckless abandon, but you take the bad with the good.

I am, however, concerned about my wife, since she's extremely sensitive, has bad allergies, and gets chronic hives.(which is very rare) Anything that possibly can happen from a tick/chigger/snake/whatever bite probably will happen with her. Anything can aggrevate her hives from heat to bug bites to stress. She's already in a chronic state of itchy/rashy hell, so I don't want to risk making it worse.

That said, we've been taking this upcoming move very seriously, and have tried time and again to find a better place for us than North Carolina, and we keep coming back to NC. We've come to terms with the hot summers since on the whole it can't even compare to where we live now in South Florida. That just leaves this last issue of "Can we as Northerners adjust to this and be okay with it for the rest of our lives?"

I suppose it's important to ask: are the worst critters that NC has significantly less active in the cooler seasons?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:21 PM

27 posts, read 64,840 times
"I suppose it's important to ask: are the worst critters that NC has significantly less active in the cooler seasons?"

Yes, very much less active to inactive. Personally, I find that in the Piedmont from late October to March, one doesn't need to worry about snakes or other sorts of creepy crawlies. Now perhaps if you lived down toward the southern NC coast...or southeast corner of the state, the window of inactivity is not as long.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:31 PM

27 posts, read 64,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Those maps are not hard/fast rules as to where snakes may live. I know for e a fact, that quite a few rattlers have been found around Falls Lake, in Wake County.

I can believe it.

Even the above range map for the timber rattler shows their population range touching the northwest corner of Wake County - and I think that most species range maps tend to err a bit on the conservative side.

I can absolutely believe there would be a few timber rattlers in some of the more untrammeled woods around Falls Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary