Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 04:58 PM

223 posts, read 314,692 times

Advertisements

After some back and forth about moving to PNW vs North Carolina, we've come back to NC being the place to go, which was our original plan.

We would like to get some acreage out west of Durham/Chapel Hill with some woods, and would like to know what to realistically expect when it comes to critters of the South such as snakes, fire ants, and the like.

Are these things minor, easily-avoidable things that just take some getting used to; or are they something that you have to be constantly mindful of when you do outdoors activities? I'd hate to always have to worry about snakes when going for hikes or playing around in the water.

We're from the North, so this sort of thing is a bit foreign to us. Even though we currently live in South Florida, we live in a community that is pretty thoroughly manicured and landscaped... a far cry from going out into untamed nature. We don't exactly get into nature much down here since we're worried about all the critters.

I'm hoping North Carolina has less to worry about than Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM

164 posts, read 287,178 times
I grew up in Florida on wooded acreage. There was a creek that ran through our property and I pretty much lived outside as a kid. That said, I've seen a cottonmouth 3 times in my 21 years there.. (The ones we were always told to worry about and stay from as kids) Funny enough, I actually moved to the PNW (Seattle specifically in July of 07') and we are moving to the Raleigh area in July. I'm terrified of snakes, and also wonder about how realistically common it is to come across copperheads, etc out there - mainly because I have two very young children. It doesn't help that I know someone who's daughter was bitten at 2 by a copperhead, and needed 22 vials of anti-venom. I know ANYthing can happen and being a worry wort does about zilch, but when you have a major fear of something, it's hard not to.

Fire ants I don't think twice about, but it will be strange to have to deal with the little buggars again after a long stretch of not seeing a single one.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:27 PM

510 posts, read 900,436 times
the water moccasin (cottonmouth) will generally avoid people. the copperhead on the other hand is stubborn and will stand it's ground. I have yet to see one alive, but that's not to say I haven't walked past one without noticing it. I do know someone who was struck in the foot by one in her front yard. I saw a dead one 2 weeks ago on the side of the road where alot of trucks pull over. He was coiled up and had been run over. I guess he was standing his ground to a truck. I've been working outside in some very remote areas of the triangle for 7 years and I have only seen one water moccasin, and that's because I walked over to a swamp to go look for one. The black snakes are pretty common, and water snakes are common too.
I've had more problems with fire ants. I use "Amdro" at work to get rid of the fire ants. They sell it at home depot. I've also had alot of issues with ticks. You definately have to wear some type of bug spray.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:45 PM

164 posts, read 287,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
the water moccasin (cottonmouth) will generally avoid people. the copperhead on the other hand is stubborn and will stand it's ground. I have yet to see one alive, but that's not to say I haven't walked past one without noticing it. I do know someone who was struck in the foot by one in her front yard. I saw a dead one 2 weeks ago on the side of the road where alot of trucks pull over. He was coiled up and had been run over. I guess he was standing his ground to a truck. I've been working outside in some very remote areas of the triangle for 7 years and I have only seen one water moccasin, and that's because I walked over to a swamp to go look for one. The black snakes are pretty common, and water snakes are common too.
I've had more problems with fire ants. I use "Amdro" at work to get rid of the fire ants. They sell it at home depot. I've also had alot of issues with ticks. You definately have to wear some type of bug spray.

...suddenly regretting my decision to go back to my roots and move to the south again. lol I spent my summers in Sapphire, NC and can't recall coming across a snake of any sort, and our property was out in the woods. Makes me feel a smidge better knowing you haven't seen them on a regular basis, but dang it, I still hate the thought. lol I've been told they are more notorious for striking, not sure how true that is though. I'd be fine if I didn't have small kids, so I do wonder how common it is for the majority to see them.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:48 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Snakes and fire ants are nuthin. I've lived here for 7 years and have never come across a snake that tried to bite me, or even act aggressive towards me. They just slither away and we both go our separate ways. I also can't remember ever being bit by fire ants here, something that was a regular occurrence in Dallas, which is where I lived prior to moving to Raleigh.

Now. . . . TICKS on the other hand. . . . I get a few of those latched on to me each year and I think that they are far more dangerous than fire ants and snakes because they carry diseases that can really put you in a heap of hurt. Why just tonight I found one crawling up my calf while I was taking a shower after a quick after-work bike ride.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Well, we don't have giant pythons, but we do have copperheads. not as many fire ants. Plenty of ticks. You do need to look for copperheads when hiking.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:15 PM

510 posts, read 900,436 times
it's not like there is a copperhead waitng for you around every tree or bush. I'm outside just about all day, every day for work and haven't been bit yet. The woman I know who got bit is a school teacher and she was in her front yard. So go figure. you'll be fine. Just wear that bug spray for the ticks.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
We live in a subdivision in Clayton and the woman across the yard from me says she sees copperheads regularly in the vacant lot next to her house (lots of trees) and there was one in her driveway this spring.
Never saw a tick till moving here and my kid seems to be a tick magnet. A co-worker is currently being treated for something tick-related that affected her joints and muscles. (lyme?)
I've seen two snakes dead in the road this past week on my way home from work, but both were big black ones.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:28 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Green Guy, west of Chapel Hill/Durham the only venomous snake you might run into is a copperhead. The other venomous snakes that live in NC do not live here. Water moccasins live in the eastern part of the state. Rattlesnakes live in the west and east, but not in the piedmont. A copperhead will "rattle" its tail, too, though, even though it doesn't have a rattle. If it does that in dead leaves it can sound like a rattle. I am not afraid of snakes so I can't advise on that. I do run into them. My dogs have each been bitten by copperheads in the back yard — I think 3 years ago. I have seen copperheads in my neighborhood in the evening soaking up the warmth from the asphalt. I see a fair number of other snakes, too, but I like them. Copperheads don't flee as quickly as other snakes and sometimes people step on them (know a guy who did that in barefeet taking the trash out at night) or accidentally grab them (know someone who was doing yard work and clearing some dead sticks, but one turned out to be a copperhead). If you wear shoes at night and gloves when doing yardwork you might not have trouble. I've lived here almost 50 years and have never been bitten by any snake. I've seen 'em. I've handled non-venomous ones, but I haven't been bitten.

FVNC is right about the ticks, though. I know far more people who have gotten sick from a tick bite than I know people who have gotten bitten by a copperhead.

Hey, there's been a bear sighted in North Raleigh, too, so add that to your list!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:47 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Chiggers.
Google it.

Yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary