Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:17 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post
Coming from Atlanta (and previously from Chicago), I think the traffic here is a dream. I love my 20 minute commute versus my previous commute times of 1-1/2 hours each way.
That's kind of reinforcing the OP's point. What you see as "a dream" is what others who have been here longer see as a "noticeable increase in traffic."

You cannot really blame people who have lived here longer for disliking the level of traffic that you currently see as good compared to a place you came from that had worse traffic, can you?

Old 06-21-2013, 07:35 AM

564 posts, read 871,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
That's kind of reinforcing the OP's point. What you see as "a dream" is what others who have been here longer see as a "noticeable increase in traffic."

You cannot really blame people who have lived here longer for disliking the level of traffic that you currently see as good compared to a place you came from that had worse traffic, can you?
While I don't blame them, I think people sometimes don't realize how good they have it compared to many metropolitan areas. We live in a "car" society and traffic congestion is increasing in most areas (including areas that have rail access). We are very fortunate in this area that traffic commute times are still very reasonable compared to what many experience in other areas. While I miss the Atlanta area, the lighter traffic congestion as been one of the benefits I have enjoyed since moving here and it is a nice plus for people that are relocating to this area.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:36 AM

334 posts, read 866,130 times
When I travel for work the cities I go to are all choked with cars. Raleigh has everything needed now. Great downtown etc. Where I live in Wake Forest the traffic is getting worse each day. We need more development in WF like we need a hole in the head. Quality of life has peaked and is now declining.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 AM

206 posts, read 310,082 times
I never understood why so many people live so far from work. My best friend in Clayton drives 35-40 minutes to work. That's too long of a drive for me. He only does it because he has lived in Clayton all his life and no good jobs there and doesn't want to leave Clayton. I never lived more than 5 miles from work. Thankfully I am retired now and don't have to work or deal with traffic jams.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
While I don't blame them, I think people sometimes don't realize how good they have it compared to many metropolitan areas. We live in a "car" society and traffic congestion is increasing in most areas (including areas that have rail access). We are very fortunate in this area that traffic commute times are still very reasonable compared to what many experience in other areas. While I miss the Atlanta area, the lighter traffic congestion as been one of the benefits I have enjoyed since moving here and it is a nice plus for people that are relocating to this area.
I think you greatly underestimate people. Of course most of us know how good we have it. What we wonder at this point is how long before the traffic here sucks just like it did in most of the places people came here (with their cars, no less) to escape.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
When I travel for work the cities I go to are all choked with cars. Raleigh has everything needed now. Great downtown etc. Where I live in Wake Forest the traffic is getting worse each day. We need more development in WF like we need a hole in the head. Quality of life has peaked and is now declining.
I think you and I have found some common ground.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:35 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
Tell your town government to throttle development with restrictions and impact fees. Raleigh may even stop development around Crabtree.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:13 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,805,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighnative2 View Post
I never understood why so many people live so far from work. My best friend in Clayton drives 35-40 minutes to work. That's too long of a drive for me. He only does it because he has lived in Clayton all his life and no good jobs there and doesn't want to leave Clayton. I never lived more than 5 miles from work. Thankfully I am retired now and don't have to work or deal with traffic jams.

My husband was laid off twice back in '03-05. Trust me, you take a job wherever you can find it. He drove to Creedmoor and later to Youngsville. Both were an hour from our house. With no steady income, you can't just pick up and move to a new house.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:19 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,772,566 times
Quote:
Coming from Atlanta (and previously from Chicago), I think the traffic here is a dream. I love my 20 minute commute versus my previous commute times of 1-1/2 hours each way.
But saying traffic is "a dream--compared to Atlanta of Chicago (or Long Island, or DC...)" is like saying a root canal is "a dream" compared to a kidney stone--it doesn't mean it's "nothing".

Old 06-21-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
But saying traffic is "a dream--compared to Atlanta of Chicago (or Long Island, or DC...)" is like saying a root canal is "a dream" compared to a kidney stone--it doesn't mean it's "nothing".
Especially when the worst thing you ever had was a tooth cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary