Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:38 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
Don't worry; it's coming. The more people who pour into the Triangle, the longer everyone's commute will become. It's simple math. And suddenly this area, which for so long has dominated so many "best of" lists, will become just like any other overcrowded metropolis. And people will go elsewhere. But at least we won't have to wonder why.
Yeah. This is what concerns me. It's not even people coming here. It's the speed of arrival relative to road construction. Although, I hate seeing all the trees torn down to build crappy housing and strip malls.

Last edited by RedZin; 06-22-2013 at 09:47 AM..

Old 06-22-2013, 11:34 AM

564 posts, read 872,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Replies like yours reinforce the idea among locals and long time residents that many of the people who are new to the area simply don't give a damn if they're making the area less pleasant to live in. Think about that one.
No, you REALLY don't get it and it is people like you with responses like that are the ones that make things unpleasant. I find most of the locals to be very pleasant, because they get it. They understand that metropolitan areas either grow or they die off. It means that new jobs have to be created and growth is a part of all that. Yet then we have a few locals that while they want the $$$ others bring in, they have an attitude of superiority and arrogance and wish others would just keep their mouths shut since they are not entitled to have an opinion based on their lack of "tenure" in the area.

I won't ask you to think any further about it as it may stretch your mental capacity.

Last edited by janster100; 06-22-2013 at 12:04 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 12:59 PM

42 posts, read 94,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post
No, you REALLY don't get it and it is people like you with responses like that are the ones that make things unpleasant. I find most of the locals to be very pleasant, because they get it. They understand that metropolitan areas either grow or they die off. It means that new jobs have to be created and growth is a part of all that. Yet then we have a few locals that while they want the $$$ others bring in, they have an attitude of superiority and arrogance and wish others would just keep their mouths shut since they are not entitled to have an opinion based on their lack of "tenure" in the area.

I won't ask you to think any further about it as it may stretch your mental capacity.
I'm really not sure what has you all hot and bothered man. The OP clearly was stating that they thought traffic had gotten progressively worse over time due to population growth. Your topic of conversation while related is off topic. Obviously it's nicer getting 30 minute commutes rather than 1.5 hr commutes, no one disputes that, and I love it when compared to Orlando, etc. That doesn't mean that the OPs comments aren't valid. I'm not sure why or what you are arguing against, the point you made has been agreed upon 3-4 times now by meh...the concern here is not the present, it's the future. meh, and many others are concerned that the routes that used to take 20 minutes, and now take 40 minutes, in a matter of years will take 1-1.5hrs like the commutes you (and many others) have escaped by moving here. That is ALL he's saying, he has conceded the point that traffic is better here (CURRENTLY) than in DC, etc., MANY times....he DOES "get it", we all do.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:16 PM

564 posts, read 872,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFNut View Post
I'm really not sure what has you all hot and bothered man. The OP clearly was stating that they thought traffic had gotten progressively worse over time due to population growth. Your topic of conversation while related is off topic. Obviously it's nicer getting 30 minute commutes rather than 1.5 hr commutes, no one disputes that, and I love it when compared to Orlando, etc. That doesn't mean that the OPs comments aren't valid. I'm not sure why or what you are arguing against, the point you made has been agreed upon 3-4 times now by meh...the concern here is not the present, it's the future. meh, and many others are concerned that the routes that used to take 20 minutes, and now take 40 minutes, in a matter of years will take 1-1.5hrs like the commutes you (and many others) have escaped by moving here. That is ALL he's saying, he has conceded the point that traffic is better here (CURRENTLY) than in DC, etc., MANY times....he DOES "get it", we all do.
Two issues. First of all, the traffic is minor, so it seems to be a silly complaint. Secondly, look at the comment that I quoted from Meh in which he/she brings up the local versus transplant issue. Clearly others see the issue as I just got a few more reputation comments from people with the same opinion.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:37 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post
Two issues. First of all, the traffic is minor, so it seems to be a silly complaint. Secondly, look at the comment that I quoted from Meh in which he/she brings up the local versus transplant issue. Clearly others see the issue as I just got a few more reputation comments from people with the same opinion.
I refuse to discuss this with you further. You don't understand the original post, nor do you understand any of the posts that followed it. I have no issue with transplants merely because they are transplants. I'm married to one.

I do have an active interest in the direction that this area is taking as pertains to growth, however. Only a fool wouldn't.

I have long realized that we have some hothouse flowers on this board. You can tell them a million times that you don't have a personal gripe with them. You can all but invite them out to dinner and offer them free babysitting. But, lament over new construction tearing down a lovely, wooded area or the fact that it takes you twice as long to get to work and they LOSE THEIR MINDS.

Baffling. Truly baffling.

This area has had people relocating to it quite steadily ever since Big Blue set up shop out in RTP. I'm only 45. Obviously, being raised here? I am used to new people moving to town.

The rate of current growth concerns me. Anyone who sees this as me insulting them personally is too sensitive for me to reassure further, so why bother?

You can't take reps as an indication that the board ageees with you. I get quite a few myself. And have in this thread. Sheesh. Lighten up.

Last edited by RedZin; 06-23-2013 at 08:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary