Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:04 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Mine was a 2013.

We ride around on combustion engines with a nuclear plant down the road and batteries scare the hell outta people?

Seriously?
You seriously think I'm scared of batteries?

I'm scared of high out of warranty repair costs - I'm looking for simpler cars, rather than ones with tons of bells & whistles. Hybrid = tons of bells & whistles. I'd pick a plain gas engine Highlander with 80K miles over a hybrid with the same miles on it any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 09:11 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
I dunno why anyone should fear a used hybrid.
Battery replacement costs.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:32 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Battery replacement costs.
Cheaper than gas for a gas guzzler. Why do people think so short term?

Old 07-15-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
You seriously think I'm scared of batteries?

I'm scared of high out of warranty repair costs - I'm looking for simpler cars, rather than ones with tons of bells & whistles. Hybrid = tons of bells & whistles. I'd pick a plain gas engine Highlander with 80K miles over a hybrid with the same miles on it any day of the week.
Eh. No thanks. The gas alone would cost more than replacing battery cells as they eventually need replacing.

Batteries aren't THAT expensive. Gas, on the other hand...

Let's put it this way... We have a car that hasn't seen a gas station in over a year.

And one that gets a refill every 4-6 weeks. Has a tiny tank. I think it cost me 34 bucks last time I filled it.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Cheaper than gas for a gas guzzler. Why do people think so short term?
I can't specifically to your car, but a number of studies found that the higher upfront costs of many hybrids often outweighed their fuel cost savings, such that the recoupment periods were quite long. See, for example:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Old 07-15-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I can't specifically to your car, but a number of studies found that the higher upfront costs of many hybrids often outweighed their fuel cost savings, such that the recoupment periods were quite long. See, for example:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/bu...anted=all&_r=0
Well, we wanted to support the tech, not save money.

Also, didn't feel right using so much gas.

That study is interesting. Prius does make financial sense.

Another thing is that the article assumes too much.

Would the guy in the Leaf really have been driving a Versa? Perhaps he used to drive a Jeep Cherokee. I'd like to see a comparison of a loaded Cherokee to a loaded Leaf, for example.

My husband drove a Chevy Blazer before he leased a Volt.

Why not compare the cost to own a new, loaded Trailblazer to his cost to lease a Volt?

This is getting OT, though.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:11 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Mine was a 2013.

Used 2 months. Still under full warranty.

We ride around on combustion engines with a nuclear plant down the road and batteries scare the hell outta people?

Seriously?
Out of curiosity, why did you sell it so quickly????

We just purchased a new Hyundai Sonata. I compared the cost of the hybrid to the standard engine, and we would have had to drive A LOT more miles than we do to break even in the first 5 years.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you sell it so quickly????

We just purchased a new Hyundai Sonata. I compared the cost of the hybrid to the standard engine, and we would have had to drive A LOT more miles than we do to break even in the first 5 years.
Long story. It was the second Prius I'd owned. I traded the first one for a larger one. Then, the dealership ticked me off over some issues I felt they did not fully disclose. It was a brand-new car.

So, I knew I'd always hate the car because of all the negativity, so I traded it. Took a small loss, nothing too bad.

I like my plug-in electric, though. I'm content.

My Honda Civic was great as far as mpg vs price (owned it a few years back), but I really think that unless people support alternatives to gas-powered vehicles, they'll never come down in price enough for most people to want them.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
Quote:
Mine was a 2013.
Used 2 months. Still under full warranty.
The concern isn't the battery technology so much as the massive replacement cost once the hybrid reaches sufficient age.
A 2-month old one shouldn't have to much problem selling. But would you buy a used car that was years old and months from needing a full battery replacement?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
The concern isn't the battery technology so much as the massive replacement cost once the hybrid reaches sufficient age. A 2-month old one shouldn't have to much problem selling. But would you buy a used car that was years old and months from needing a full battery replacement?
I agree that's one concern with hybrids. I found this article interesting though:

Toyota Hybrid Battery Replacement Cost Guide

Quote:
The first, and most reassuring thing you should know about these battery packs, is that replacement is a rare occurrence.

Toyota told us that the engineers consider the NiMH batteries in Prius and other Toyota hybrids to be a life-of-the-car component. It could be several owners and hundreds of thousands of miles down the line before the pack requires replacement, at which point the car itself may well be past its prime.
Still, I'm one of those who tends to drive my cars well past their prime (my current car is 10 years old and at 200,000 miles). Also I rarely buy new - so a major battery replacement a few years down the road would be a significant deterrent for me in considering a used hybrid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary