Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:46 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times

Advertisements

Except for veggie sushi, it is pretty hard to go anywhere and get a low fat vegan meal. I do not eat nut and observe a low fat diet along with being Vegan.

...and no I do not suffer at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 06:06 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Except for veggie sushi, it is pretty hard to go anywhere and get a low fat vegan meal. I do not eat nut and observe a low fat diet along with being Vegan.

Well, a few ideas, and they would depend on where you are: there's hummous which is often served with veggie slices. There is bruschetta. There is tzaziki. There's bread and olive oil. There are chips and guacamole. Steamed veggies and rice and tofu, jalapeno poppers sans bacon, green salad with oil and vinegar, fruit salads, french fries if not made with animal fat, baked potatoes, vegetarian bean burritos, no cheese or dairy, fresh corn tortillas with salsa or beans, lettuce wraps with no meat, vegetarian egg rolls or spring rolls provided they are not cooked in animal fat, fruit pies, provided the crust has shortening or oil, BLT with no bacon or mayo, Sauteed mushrooms, or mushroom sauces, salad bar, pasta and marinara, no cheese, felafel, tabouli, vegetarian phad thai, samosas, dahl and nann, rice and soy sauce, rice noodles or other asian noodles vegetarian, tomato soup or other vegetarian based soup, corn on the cob, cornbread and beans or veggies, vegetarian chili sometimes, veggie pizza no cheese. . Those are some starting ideas. It's hard. And of course not all of those options are always available. I have nephew with PKU who can't eat ANY protein sources. Going out to eat for him is very difficult. Compared to him, you're a cinch!

Old 06-22-2013, 06:16 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
There's bread and olive oil.
I think you missed where the OP said "low fat vegan" - many of your suggestions are high in fat.

To the OP, if you are looking for dining out options you are going to find slim pickings. You can find "Health Starts Here" options in the prepared foods section at Whole Foods - those will be made without oil. I find that in order to follow a truly low fat vegan diet, I just need to cook at home and maybe eat out once a week as a treat (and not go crazy).

Old 06-22-2013, 06:52 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post

Maybe not but everyone else with whom you encounter does. LOL.

I would check out Harmony Foods in Raleigh. They have a cafe as well.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Google: Fiction Kitchen, Triangle Raw Foods, and Day One pop-up restaurant at Ninth Street Bakery.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:16 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I think you missed where the OP said "low fat vegan" - many of your suggestions are high in fat.

To the OP, if you are looking for dining out options you are going to find slim pickings. You can find "Health Starts Here" options in the prepared foods section at Whole Foods - those will be made without oil. I find that in order to follow a truly low fat vegan diet, I just need to cook at home and maybe eat out once a week as a treat (and not go crazy).

Yes, I noted that. Whole foods is not "eating out". Some people prefer the good fats.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:19 PM

7 posts, read 36,141 times
the price you pay for following fads

Old 06-22-2013, 08:15 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post

LOL! That is exactly what I do and eat before I go out and just drink. Sounds like you are a Vegan.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:59 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
Stir fry and hummus sandwich is a good as suggested
Mexican restaurants offer more vegan items and also Chinese
Some family restaurants offer vegan veggie burgers
Baked potato with a salad
Pizza such as California pizza without cheese
Places such as Panera offer veggie soups
I think to feel full and satisfied at least trying to get some healthy fats or protein in form of beans or tofu is better then a baked potato and salad unless you can load some healthy beans on the salad and olive oil

Old 06-23-2013, 12:57 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
I also enjoyed Fiction Kitchen when I went there and I'm not vegetarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary