Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:00 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,168,856 times

Advertisements

I think you might have a hard time getting a 2" receiver installed on a Camry, and you can't pull a boat with a 1.25" receiver. I'd call around, and get some straight answers, and quotes. Most shop will charge about $250 to install a hitch. You can do it yourself, and save over a hundred. Chances are your Camry does not have the wiring harness for towing, where as most trucks and SUVs have them factory installed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 10:52 PM

80 posts, read 343,336 times
I had UHaul on Capital install a hitch on our 05 Infiniti G35 Coupe. The online install price was more than reasonable enough to not deal with it myself. Their total price was A LOT lower than Raleigh Hitch. Like half. Overall quite satisfied with the work which included trimming the bumper. They took pride in their work and valued customer service. Note: this was a 1 1/4 hitch with no wiring.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:59 AM

735 posts, read 1,585,381 times
I'll throw my hat in for Uhaul (capital blvd by iHop) too. Excellent price and service. Never had an issue nor ever heard a complaint.

I just looked at their web page and I forgot how cheap it was: < $400 fully installed and wired for a 2013 Camry with LED (comes with power module).

Hitch install is $56, wiring install is $70. Hard to beat that considering their warranty plus the fact of not losing the factory warranty over a bad DIY install.

Edit: 2005 Camry is $322.50 installed tax included per Uhaul.com
unconditional lifetime warranty for $5 Uhaul <-hard to beat

Last edited by warriorfan63; 06-25-2013 at 05:13 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 05:53 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,465,841 times
I love the internet:

How-to install video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Aw3zNZp-w

Looks beyond incredibly simple to install this...

That company sells it for $180 but it can be bought on Amazon for $140...not sure if it's the exact same thing, might want to call etrailer, they also have a low price guarantee...
CURT Manufacturing 123393 Class 2 Trailer Hitch with Old-Style Ball Mount, Pin and Clip : Amazon.com : Automotive

A torque wrench, if you want one, is $10 at Harbor Freight with a coupon...

Doesn't include the wiring though, not sure where to get that, I'm sure they have it but not sure of the cost. Do all trailers have to have wiring on them?

I was looking at hitches awhile ago but didn't want to spend the $$, but I just bought a used car for $250 w/ a hitch and planned to swap over the hitch to my car. It also came with the wiring harness.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:11 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,465,841 times
OK looks like cost @ Uhaul is $310 w/ the online discount and includes the wiring and no extra warranty, hitch is a little more but install is only about $100, I'd totally go to Uhaul, if you book online they give you a $10 discount...

U-Haul: Trailer Hitch and Trailer Hitch Installation in Durham, NC at U-Haul Moving & Storage at Chapel Hill Blvd

Note: not recommending that specific Uhaul just the quoted price, it should show up...

Last edited by wheelsup; 06-25-2013 at 06:19 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,950,226 times
Thanks to advice on this forum, I recently bought a hitch from etrailer.com and installed it myself. One of the easiest DIY projects I have ever done. It took less than an hour to install the hitch and hook up the wiring harness for the lights.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:57 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,168,856 times
I installed a receiver hitch on my MDX. I only wanted it for cargo carriers and bike racks, so didn't bother with wiring harness. It would have been a much simpler job with a 2nd person to help, but I manged doing it alone. It can be done.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:12 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,628,462 times
you've been gone a year already? Congrats! I hope to live in the same place as you again soon. I would love to hear your one year comparison...

Anyway, back on topic, here is a video on how to install your own hitch. Looks like a nice easy job. If you need to remove the boat in a hurry and don't have a friend to tow it you can consider renting a uhaul van. Some rental places have pickups or SUVs that could have a factory hitch. (just read the fine print, they may prohibit towing.) It may be more cost effective to rent or borrow just to move it, then order your hitch online. I rented a cargo van from enterprise a little while back, i think it was $45 for the day...

Installation of a Trailer Hitch on a 2005 Toyota Camry - etrailer.com - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary