Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 01:10 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

We just bought a little tricked out Jon Boat for some local lake fishing and will need to tow it behind our Toyota, Camry. The boat and trailer weigh <500 pounds, probably considerably less.

Suggestions of who to call to get the hitch, please? We're in Brier Creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 01:19 PM

15 posts, read 30,048 times
I cannot believe the local prices for this. If you are not handy enough to do it yourself, try and find a friend that is. I get them from amazon. They are typically only like 4 or 5 bolts. A torque wrench is cheap enough if you do not know how tight to make it.

If you are going to need lights and such, that can be a pain in the a running power from the battery and such. But small trailers might not need that.

CURT Manufacturing 123393 Class 2 Trailer Hitch with Old-Style Ball Mount, Pin and Clip : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 06-24-2013, 01:21 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times
my husband added a hitch to our toyota ourselves. ordered from amazon I think and just bolted it on. seemed easy to do. and we did have to do the lights for our trailer -- but I don't remember it being overly difficult. makes we wonder if power was already run back there and he just had to attach the wires into it....

Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
How old is the Camry? The newer ones have LED tail lights, which require less amps than the incandescent bulbs, so they've made the wiring thinner. If you try to use that wiring to run the trailer tail lights, which are probably incandescent bulbs, you'll have problems. I've been told that you have to run a separate wire from the battery all the way back to the trailer.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:39 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
How old is the Camry? The newer ones have LED tail lights, which require less amps than the incandescent bulbs, so they've made the wiring thinner. If you try to use that wiring to run the trailer tail lights, which are probably incandescent bulbs, you'll have problems. I've been told that you have to run a separate wire from the battery all the way back to the trailer.
Geez, this gets complicated! It's a 2005 Camry, but it will be replaced within a year. The trailer already has lights and the wires to run the lights (don't ask me where they get attached to - I just know I saw them on the trailer).

Anyplace to buy one of these DIY hitches locally. As much as I use and love Amazon, the guy selling the boat wants it moved.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:50 PM

15 posts, read 30,048 times
Sounds like you're not a good DIY candidate. [ on this project ] I'd just go to Uhaul or Raleigh Hitch. Both were comp...

Old 06-24-2013, 03:41 PM

663 posts, read 1,618,610 times
You 05 camry doesn't have led taillights. Sort of unrelated, I know you said it's a light tralier, make sure you don't tow heavy stuff. And keep your trans fluid changed every 30Kish. Very easy since the Camry's have a drain plug and about 4 quart drains. Always use the Toyota trans fluid from the dealer.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:57 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Nobody answered your question, but by all means, Raleigh Hitch on Capital Blvd is the place to go. That is ALL he does, and he knows his stuff. Probably a few bucks more than Uhaul, i don't know, but worth it. I've had two cars done by him on recommendations from others, and I'll never go anywhere else.

Oh, and he'll get you in and out fast (call for an appt.)

If you need a quickie move, get a friend with a hitch to pull the boat to your place, then get the hitch (DIY, Raleigh Hitch, or whatever...)

Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
If you are going to do it yourself, I highly recommend etrailer. Great step by step instructions...unfortunately it looks like you have to drill the frame to install, which is where my do it yourself instincts end.

Trailer Hitch for 2005 Toyota Camry | etrailer.com

Old 06-24-2013, 08:36 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,943,623 times
Uhaul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary