U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:36 PM

36,502 posts, read 50,952,513 times

Advertisements

Saw this on the news this evening. If only we could train him to eat the deer. I'd rather have 1 rogue black bear than the 999,000 hungry deer we seem to have around here.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=9153143
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:49 PM

2,465 posts, read 3,939,444 times
I think we'll have to eventually get used to the bears, and the sensationalism will hopefully go away. The bears are moving into the Triangle, and have been for a while. They've been spotted around our neighborhood, up by Falls Lake within the last year also. Only I don't think anyone here called 911 or WRAL.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:08 PM

12,666 posts, read 14,860,393 times
They're just passing through right now, but they are expanding their range and apparently have been since the 70s. The closest known bear population looks to be in Harnett county and Cumberland County according to this map from the NC Wildlife Resources Commission. I think this is the time of year that young bears out on their own set off finding their own territory. There are more bears in Eastern NC than there are in the mountains — nearly twice as many, more than 11,000. It's a wonder we don't see more of them.

BTW, there are about 1.1 million deer in NC.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 PM

7,104 posts, read 10,859,708 times
Wow! I love bears.

I've always thought it was weird that they aren't in the triangle - looks like they are now. I have read too that this is when the yearling bears are out on their own...their mothers run them off in late spring so they can mate again.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:22 PM

36,502 posts, read 50,952,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
They're just passing through right now, but they are expanding their range and apparently have been since the 70s. The closest known bear population looks to be in Harnett county and Cumberland County according to this map from the NC Wildlife Resources Commission. I think this is the time of year that young bears out on their own set off finding their own territory. There are more bears in Eastern NC than there are in the mountains — nearly twice as many, more than 11,000. It's a wonder we don't see more of them.

BTW, there are about 1.1 million deer in NC.
And most of them are in my yard!

I just had to chuckle at the thought of seeing a black bear on the streets of Carrboro. Do you think anybody would even notice?

Old 06-27-2013, 08:46 PM

12,475 posts, read 30,872,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
And most of them are in my yard!

I just had to chuckle at the thought of seeing a black bear on the streets of Carrboro. Do you think anybody would even notice?
Maybe the bears chose Carrboro because all types seem to exist well in Carrboro?!!

Vicki

Old 06-27-2013, 09:02 PM

The Carrboro Bear also has a twitter feed: https://twitter.com/CarrboroBear

Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 PM

164 posts, read 274,044 times
We have regular bear sightings where we live currently on the (very) Eastside of Seattle. They are no big deal for the most part, if anything, they provide more entertaining photo's than harm. Those NC copperheads I keep hearing about however, keep this gal shivering in my ol' weeny PNW rainboots.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,323,695 times
It's really sad though, for they are expanding to look for food and territory. Their homelands and corridors are being fragmented by human development. They are inherently not dangerous, but when they become familiar with humans and start to go through garbage cans, there is an increased risk of an accidental yet fateful encounter with humans. And there go the bears.

Last edited by west seattle gal; 06-28-2013 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 01:24 PM

That's actually not true west seattle. If you go to that NC Wildlife page I linked you will see that the black bear population in North Carolina has rebounded greatly since the 70s and continues to grow.

Quote:
The black bear is the only bear species found in North Carolina or anywhere in the eastern United States. The successful comeback of the American black bear in North Carolina represents one of wildlife management's greatest achievements. Black bears were once restricted to remote areas and reached very low population levels in the mid-1900s. Today, black bears are found approximately 60% of the total land area of North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary