Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 01:40 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Interestingly, I know of three families that are leaving the state because of the political climate. I don't think they're the norm but it is happening.
I have been heavily warned by people in my state about the politics there, and I am more cautious about a potential move. NC politics are repulsive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 03:56 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
But with NC teacher pay 47th in the nation, no raises this year, teaching assistants being cut, no more raises for Masters degrees, etc, then qualified teachers are going to start looking elsewhere or leaving the profession, and it could eventually denigrate the school quality. It was already hard to keep teachers 5 years with the usual burnout factors, but I don't know of a single thing the new Legislature has done relating to teachers that doesn't make the profession even LESS appealing. That will eventually affect the students and the schools' rankings.
Overheard a conversation between several teachers in a swimming pool locker room. They were all interviewing for non-teaching jobs this summer.

"Handwriting on the wall," was mentioned several times.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:21 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
It's obviously not that simple, otherwise there wouldn't be any major companies in places like California and Washington. Many companies do also look at quality of life for their employees and for more progressive companies that will likely dissuade them from places like Texas. Why would you headquarter your company where even your board doesn't want to live?
Board members don't necessarily live near the headquarters. Board members often serve on other boards and/or hold positions around the country and sometimes even around the world.

I was surprised to read that companies look at quality of life for their employees. Can't help but wonder why companies would move any of their operations to places like India if that were the case.

Having qualified employees available in an area is a concern, so it may be that quality of life impacts availability of quality employees.

Not sure about California, but Washington offers significant incentives to companies like Boeing.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:45 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Board members don't necessarily live near the headquarters. Board members often serve on other boards and/or hold positions around the country and sometimes even around the world.

I was surprised to read that companies look at quality of life for their employees. Can't help but wonder why companies would move any of their operations to places like India if that were the case.

Having qualified employees available in an area is a concern, so it may be that quality of life impacts availability of quality employees.

Not sure about California, but Washington offers significant incentives to companies like Boeing.
We have a lot of highly educated people in high tech areas of the West Coast, so they compete for our workforce. An example of "quality of life" is Microsoft in the Seattle area. Bill Gates grew up and started his company here. It is a top, highly desirable employer that offers a great salary and incredible benefits. Microsoft even has its own commuter bus just for employees. An emphasis on work-life balance is a way to keep happy, loyal workers, and this ultimately boosts the bottom line. Also, there is endless competition for these jobs, so the tech companies get the smartest and hardest working. I'm sure Bellevue offers incentives for Microsoft maintaining its presence there, in addition to brilliant people from all over the world (ie. educated people from India move to our area in droves, and they make 6-figure salaries). We have so much tech and biotech here.

Examples of how quality keeps great staff:
http://blog.nwjobs.com/careercenter/...employees.html

Companies follow the talent, not just cheap labor:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...778073340.html

Last edited by west seattle gal; 06-30-2013 at 10:57 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 06:01 AM

162 posts, read 291,973 times
Of course companies look at the quality - and cost - of life when they relocate. That's why when companies like MetLife relocate their workers they offer them reduced salaries (see previous posts on this subject). Let's face it - they are not moving anybody anywhere to improve their workers way of life. They are moving people here because of tax incentives and other bottom-line-cost-savings to increase their profits.

Maybe things are rosy here in the triangle -- I know both my husband & myself are fortunate to have good jobs -- but the fact is NC has the 5th highest rate of unemployment in the country. And with teachers salaries at the bottom of the national pay scale it's not long before those young, good teachers start leaving here for better pastures. Combine this with the continued develoipment, legislation which permits no cap on number of students in a class, no way to have developers kick in a bit for building schools -- it's a recipe for disaster in the schools.

Throw in cutbacks to unemployment (and no 'just get a job' comments - we have highly educated, qualified friends who are either under-employed or unemployed), etc and I think the politics will start to affect not only people's perceptions of the state (we're already in the national news all the time) but will at some point impact all of our lives.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:33 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey919 View Post
Of course companies look at the quality - and cost - of life when they relocate. That's why when companies like MetLife relocate their workers they offer them reduced salaries (see previous posts on this subject). Let's face it - they are not moving anybody anywhere to improve their workers way of life. They are moving people here because of tax incentives and other bottom-line-cost-savings to increase their profits.

Maybe things are rosy here in the triangle -- I know both my husband & myself are fortunate to have good jobs -- but the fact is NC has the 5th highest rate of unemployment in the country. And with teachers salaries at the bottom of the national pay scale it's not long before those young, good teachers start leaving here for better pastures. Combine this with the continued develoipment, legislation which permits no cap on number of students in a class, no way to have developers kick in a bit for building schools -- it's a recipe for disaster in the schools.

Throw in cutbacks to unemployment (and no 'just get a job' comments - we have highly educated, qualified friends who are either under-employed or unemployed), etc and I think the politics will start to affect not only people's perceptions of the state (we're already in the national news all the time) but will at some point impact all of our lives.
But, you are inappropriately injecting state statistics into the Triangle region discussion when you cite "NC has the 5th highest rate of unemployment in the country."
Clearly, unemployment in the Triangle is measurably below national averages.
National average is 7.6% as of May, 2013.
Raleigh-Cary is 6.8% as of April, 2013.
Durham-Chapel Hill is 6.3% as of April 2013.
North Carolina Economy at a Glance
http://www.ncesc1.com/PMI/Rates/Pres...3_StRate_M.pdf

This was a bit of a hot topic a couple of years ago here, when posters loudly cited 15% unemployment rates in remote small towns and rural areas as reasons people should not move to the Triangle.
I would propose that relocating companies do not look at 15% unemployment in Lumberton when considering a move to RTP.
And, "underemployment" of truly qualified workers should be a draw for recruiting companies.

With a lovely mild 4 season climate, central eastern seaboard location, good universities, good medical care, seat of state government, and pretty good infrastructure and planning, the Triangle is the embodiment of one of Dear John Edwards' "Two Americas" right here in NC.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 07-01-2013 at 06:58 AM..

Old 07-01-2013, 07:06 AM

You missed my point -- I clearly stated that 'things are rosy' here in the triangle -- that doesn't dispute the fact that what everyone else in the country hears is that NC is 5th in the nation.

And obviously you missed my sarcasm when saying that of course companies will continue to move here -- citing the 'quality of life' for their employees - oh and by the way because the cost of living is so low we're going to cut your salary when you move.

Maybe the unemployment in this area is (relatively) low but how many people are underemployed? I'm sure we all know someone like my friend w/25+ years experience at fortune 500 company who - after a layoff - is working for about half of her previous salary.

And don't underestimate the impact that statewide unemployment has on the overall economy -- higher unemployment means less spending -- those 'rural' folk who may have headed here for a museum visit, to see a show or eat in a restaurant and support our local economy -- will stay away.

Clearly if something is not affecting someone personally it seems like we have little room for empathy in our lives anymore.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
You missed my point -- I clearly stated that 'things are rosy' here in the triangle -- that doesn't dispute the fact that what everyone else in the country hears is that NC is 5th in the nation.

And obviously you missed my sarcasm when saying that of course companies will continue to move here -- citing the 'quality of life' for their employees - oh and by the way because the cost of living is so low we're going to cut your salary when you move.

Maybe the unemployment in this area is (relatively) low but how many people are underemployed? I'm sure we all know someone like my friend w/25+ years experience at fortune 500 company who - after a layoff - is working for about half of her previous salary.

And don't underestimate the impact that statewide unemployment has on the overall economy -- higher unemployment means less spending -- those 'rural' folk who may have headed here for a museum visit, to see a show or eat in a restaurant and support our local economy -- will stay away.

Clearly if something is not affecting someone personally it seems like we have little room for empathy in our lives anymore.
Well, I did see your qualifier, "MAYBE things are rosy here in the triangle." And I am sorry you feel no empathy. I sure do.

We miss the true meaning of "underemployment," when we fail to focus on the root word, "employment."
Your friend has a job. Rumor has it that many people do not. "Underemployment" has turned into a buzzword for "employment entitlement," unfortunately, rather than an indication of available skills for employers.
The job market has never valued 25+ years of experience, and that is why in the 1960's EEOC and age discrimination laws were enacted. And they are about the easiest standards for employers to ignore, and discriminating against experience/age is only increasing.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And I am sorry you feel no empathy. I sure do.
Again -- and this will be my last post since you clearly are not taking the time to actually read what I say and seem anxious to take swipes -- not what I said.

Simply pointing out that many people have no empathy for the un-or-underemployed and say ' just get a job' or 'be happy you have a job'.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Again -- and this will be my last post since you clearly are not taking the time to actually read what I say and seem anxious to take swipes -- not what I said.

Simply pointing out that many people have no empathy for the un-or-underemployed and say ' just get a job' or 'be happy you have a job'.
Sheesh.

To the topic:

The OP pointedly asked if recent political decisions will affect Triangle home prices.
I think the bottom line answer is, "not measurably."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary