Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 04:18 PM

6,821 posts, read 9,056,827 times

Advertisements

I think it will negatively affect home prices. I already know that I am a year or two away from leaving. That's partly because I don't like the direction that the NC government is going. There are new laws that impose stricter regulations on women seeking abortions. Other states are legalizing gay marriage but I don't see that happening in NC in the next 10 years. I grew up in an area up north that was pretty conservative. I like to live someplace where there is a healthy debate but I can't see NC government warming up to people like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 07:24 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Interesting take folks seems to have on "Quality of life/lower wages/political climate". Like most things in life, it's not nearly that simple.

I'm pretty close to the decision makers for a 65,000+ employee company and there's a delicate dance that occurs when evaluating locations and personnel needs. For some people in some parts of the company, QoL means a ranch house on Wisteria Lane where wages need not be really super high to support that lifestyle and politics lean conservative. In other parts of the company, those characteristics are poison. In either case, no one is right or wrong.

Where it gets sticky is when you run into difficulties recruiting to fill positions. Generally speaking, candidates with unique skills sets are going to earn higher wages wherever they go, so that leaves QoL & political environment as the carrot. Again, with the qualifier generally speaking, if given the choice between a live-and-let-live attitude and restrictive, regulated moral codes, people who can choose where they wish to live will choose the former. Of course this can be debated endlessly, but pragmatically I know it happens every day when some of the best and brightest candidates simply refuse to pursue careers in parts of the company because those functions are in locations that they view as repressive.

Long answer to the question, but yes the current legislative environment will not only affect home prices but the business growth environment in a thousand ways perhaps none individually apparent, but in total, fairly devistating in the long term that needn't be had elected officials shown some degree of moderation.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:39 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Interesting take folks seems to have on "Quality of life/lower wages/political climate". Like most things in life, it's not nearly that simple.

I'm pretty close to the decision makers for a 65,000+ employee company and there's a delicate dance that occurs when evaluating locations and personnel needs. For some people in some parts of the company, QoL means a ranch house on Wisteria Lane where wages need not be really super high to support that lifestyle and politics lean conservative. In other parts of the company, those characteristics are poison. In either case, no one is right or wrong.

Where it gets sticky is when you run into difficulties recruiting to fill positions. Generally speaking, candidates with unique skills sets are going to earn higher wages wherever they go, so that leaves QoL & political environment as the carrot. Again, with the qualifier generally speaking, if given the choice between a live-and-let-live attitude and restrictive, regulated moral codes, people who can choose where they wish to live will choose the former. Of course this can be debated endlessly, but pragmatically I know it happens every day when some of the best and brightest candidates simply refuse to pursue careers in parts of the company because those functions are in locations that they view as repressive.

Long answer to the question, but yes the current legislative environment will not only affect home prices but the business growth environment in a thousand ways perhaps none individually apparent, but in total, fairly devistating in the long term that needn't be had elected officials shown some degree of moderation.
You will never be able to track it.
Interest rate volatility, and the upward rocketing of rates will define the market for some time.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,570 times
Quote:

This sounds like a 20th century answer. I am not sure if you live in the Triangle but there is a large population of non-U.S. citizens willing to come here to work in the technical jobs our area is known for; and I think the politics of a U.S state are as unfamiliar to them as the politics of Utter Pradash are to me. Maybe if they are looking to move here for a long term assignment they will get involved after they move but I highly doubt they are researching Pat McCory's stance on various topics before they get here.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
This sounds like a 20th century answer. I am not sure if you live in the Triangle but there is a large population of non-U.S. citizens willing to come here to work in the technical jobs our area is known for; and I think the politics of a U.S state are as unfamiliar to them as the politics of Utter Pradash are to me. Maybe if they are looking to move here for a long term assignment they will get involved after they move but I highly doubt they are researching Pat McCory's stance on various topics before they get here.
I live in Raleigh part-time.

Unmeasurable, probably. You might well be right about H-1B visa holders, but the unflattering events occurring at the statehouse dispensed on a near daily basis will have a detrimental economic effect. To believe otherwise is whistling past the graveyard. Far too many other places in the county that can, do, or will offer competitive economic environments without the baggage. Most frightening, it will be all too clear well after easy adjustments can be executed.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:34 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
There are way too many factors that go into all of it to track and pinpoint any one reason for the market going up or down. Afterall, according to opinions on this forum Raleigh could become ground zero for a zombie apocalypse and people would still move here in droves if we had a Wegman's or Ikea.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:11 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,570 times
Quote:
I live in Raleigh part-time.

Unmeasurable, probably. You might well be right about H-1B visa holders, but the unflattering events occurring at the statehouse dispensed on a near daily basis will have a detrimental economic effect. To believe otherwise is whistling past the graveyard. Far too many other places in the county that can, do, or will offer competitive economic environments without the baggage. Most frightening, it will be all too clear well after easy adjustments can be executed.
Please explain Texas.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Please explain Texas.
I'm not sure anyone can explain Texas
(other than to wish them the best of luck in their succession efforts)

Old 07-07-2013, 07:26 AM

120 posts, read 248,628 times
Quote:
Please explain Texas.
Energy.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:00 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times
A lot of the people moving here also could agree (instead of disagree) with what the Governor/legislature is doing regarding the Health Care law, Unemployment (we owe over $3 billion to the Feds), Pollution controls (smoke and mirrors), etc.

There are a lot of upper middle class families moving here and from my perspective what they find the most important is their safety, neighborhood, activities for their kids, etc. Political parties come and go and I don't think the previous administration/legislature did anything to help the state in any way either.

I'm independent so I can see the BS that both the major political parties try and pull. I believe that most of the people/families moving here couldn't care less what the current state legislature/administration is, because it doesn't personally impact their lives. Most of my new neighbors from the northeast have specifically moved here because they have grown tired of the mostly liberal government/environment in which they came from, which included insane property taxes and laws that seek to limit personal freedom and responsibility. I do however believe the abortion bill that now heads to the governors office is BS and I am personally against abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary