U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 05:11 AM

49,446 posts, read 22,741,092 times

Advertisements

I've never heard of a judge handing down a prison sentence that included weekends off.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 05:26 AM

1,357 posts, read 3,879,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I thought that was the policy everywhere.

Surprised to read that things are so lax in NC.
I will say I haven't worked with any convicted murderers (none that have been released in the last 4 years anyway), so maybe that's why I haven't experienced that. But I've dealt with some assault on female type charges and those people definitely aren't being notified. Maybe people who murder, perpetrate children, etc the prisons do let the victim know... I don't know.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:23 AM

33,157 posts, read 77,704,687 times
Quote:
I've never heard of a judge handing down a prison sentence that included weekends off.
So specifically? Of course not.
Judges are lawyers who know better than to be specific when they don't need to.

The Judge conveys the particulars of how the sentence gets carried out to the DOC.
The DOC then gets to decide on all the internal management and classification factors.
One of these being how to juggle their population and avoiding comebacks.

hth

Old 06-30-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
a) Though prison authorities state this program is for soon-to-be-released prisoners,
apparently this is not actually what happens. Several were serving life sentences.
People serving life sentences get out all the time. LINK

Quote:
b) If anything they do (that isn't criminal) is fine and good, why not just let all
prisoners out every weekend?
Yeah! Why not?

Quote:
c) I agree. We need to separate who we are afraid of from who we are mad at.
Imprison those we (have real reason to be) afraid of and come up with other ways to deal with the rest.
There ya go!

Quote:
I am afraid of murderers, of people who shoot police officers in the back of the head.
Very few "murderers" are the sort who would shoot police officers.
Almost all are against someone they know and based in overwrought personal situations.

Thankgiving Dinners are notorious for these flareups

Old 06-30-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Very few "murderers" are the sort who would shoot police officers.
Almost all are against someone they know and based in overwrought personal situations.
According to the article, one of the prisoners on the weekend passes had actually shot a police officer in the back of the head.

As to those who murder someone they know while overwrought, what about the weekend passes keeps them from getting overwrought again?

Regarding judges leaving the details of incarceration to DOC, I'm guessing that one of they details they expect DOC to see to is that the prisoners are actually incarcerated. Perhaps not. I know two judges. I'll ask.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
As to those who murder someone they know while overwrought,
what about the weekend passes keeps them from getting overwrought again?
What about putting them in prison at all addresses ANY of what happened or why?

Quote:
According to the article, one of the prisoners...
You're repeating yourself.

From post #5:
So... is your objection to the program in total?
or to how the prison officials handle a few cases out of the thousands that run through their office?

Old 06-30-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
So... is your objection to the program in total?
or to how the prison officials handle a few cases out of the thousands that run through their office?
Not object to, surprised by. I just had no idea that people in prison got weekend passes.

Prisons are to punish people who break the law and protect the citizenry from their mayhem. So where's the punishment if the embezzler is out playing golf? For those determined ready to be out in the community as they no longer present any danger to society, why not parole them and be done with it?

Though there seems to be no evidence that these home visits actually improve outcomes, I'm willing to believe that they ease the transition.

But for those not transitioning, what is the point?

Why aren't victims and their families notified?

40 murderers were out on weekend passes last weekend, including (at the risk of repeating myself), one who shot a police officer in the back of the head. At the very least, shouldn't the families of their victims be notified that they are on the street? Seems only fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary