Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:34 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,803,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangogh121 View Post
The article is quite vague, I wish there was more detail about the inmates in question, their specific crimes and how far they are in to their rehabilitation. I agree that this would be a great program to transition back into society. My only concern would be for individuals that might not be rehabilitated. On the good note, there is not reports of crimes from these individuals and none have jumped ship. Hopefully this article will force a stronger look at the program and ensure we are doing the right thing for the inmates and the community they will be reintroduced into.
According to the article, these are all low risk individuals who have behaved themselves in prison.

Can't help but wonder how playing golf, rallying support for a parole, hanging out with their old chums... improves their shot at a successful transition back into the community. Couldn't they do this just as easily once they're released?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 11:26 AM

892 posts, read 3,161,030 times
Lawmaker, DAs call on governor to end home release for prisoners :: WRAL.com

Old 06-28-2013, 05:34 PM

78 posts, read 127,106 times
“For over three decades, the home leave program has allowed for inmates who are nearing release to re-establish family relationships and community socialization in preparation for their transition back into the community," said Commissioner of Adult Correction David Guice. "Every inmate is carefully screened and selected and undergoes a thorough investigation before admission into the program.”

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, and sounds like the plan has been successful.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playnice View Post
It is confusing that someone with a life sentence is eligible for weekend/work release over say most any other inmate.
Confusing to me to.

One inmate shot a police officer in the back of the head and is serving a life sentence. There is no mention that she is soon to be paroled, yet she gets weekends off.

At her last parole hearing, she stated she is a changed person. And she may well be.

But in my mind, killing a police officer in cold blood deserves a life sentence without parole and without weekends off.

Drug dealers, habitual felons, you name it... I can see where reintegrating them into community before their release date makes sense.

But if there is no scheduled release date in the near future, why the weekend passes?

Old 06-29-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangogh121 View Post
“For over three decades, the home leave program has allowed for inmates who are nearing release to re-establish family relationships and community socialization in preparation for their transition back into the community," said Commissioner of Adult Correction David Guice. "Every inmate is carefully screened and selected and undergoes a thorough investigation before admission into the program.”

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, and sounds like the plan has been successful.
Is there evidence, not merely opinions, that this program has been successful?

Old 06-29-2013, 08:38 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Is there evidence, not merely opinions, that this program has been successful?
How would you define "successful"?
The recidivism rate of this select group vs the general population released else wise?

I think the whole point is that
a) these people WILL be getting out before too long no matter what ...and
b) *anything* that they might do when out that isn't criminal is plain and simple good enough ...and
c) the alternative is either building more prison capacity or not sentencing/prosecuting
many of the OTHER's in the system so that space is then available for the more serious offenses.

I wouldn't object to this last in the least and I'd scream bloody murder at any plan
to spend more scarce funds to build and staff more prisons. Where does that leave us?

Old 06-29-2013, 08:59 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
But one guy has been home weekends for two years, apparently working on getting support for a parole hearing. Others are serving life sentences for murder. It is unclear just how close any of them are to a release date.

Are they saving money by not having to feed them on weekends? Are there other savings I haven't thought about?

Shouldn't their victims be notified they're out and about?
Yeah, by not feeding them, but probably mostly by having less staff on the weekends. I would imagine that is a huge savings. Then maybe a small savings by not having lights/tv/water going in their cell (possibly, guess it depends if their cellmate is there). But I bet it saves a LOT of money.

As far as victims being notified, do they do that anyway? I mean I deal with the prison system often for work, and the dates I see online for release are rarely the dates that the people I'm dealing with come out. Often times the prison will put the person out on the street with me thinking there is still another week to secure housing, etc and I only know bc the person calls me wondering where to sleep that night. All that's to say, I don't think victims are being notified anyway, so not sure why they'd do it for this program. If I were the victim, yeah I'd want to be notified! But I don't think that's a service the prison system offers, in my experience.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:12 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post

As far as victims being notified, do they do that anyway? I mean I deal with the prison system often for work, and the dates I see online for release are rarely the dates that the people I'm dealing with come out. Often times the prison will put the person out on the street with me thinking there is still another week to secure housing, etc and I only know bc the person calls me wondering where to sleep that night. All that's to say, I don't think victims are being notified anyway, so not sure why they'd do it for this program. If I were the victim, yeah I'd want to be notified! But I don't think that's a service the prison system offers, in my experience.
In our home state, my DH was notified each time his mom's murderers were up for parole and then when one was released we knew the release date.

I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case everywhere. I'd hate to run into someone I thought was still locked up for committing a crime on a family member or myself.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I think the whole point is that
a) these people WILL be getting out before too long no matter what ...and
b) *anything* that they might do when out that isn't criminal is plain and simple good enough ...and
c) the alternative is either building more prison capacity or not sentencing/prosecuting
many of the OTHER's in the system so that space is then available for the more serious offenses.
a) Though prison authorities state this program is for soon-to-be-released prisoners, apparently this is not actually what happens. Several were serving life sentences. One has been on weekend passes for two years rallying support for a parole.

b) If anything they do is fine and good, why not just let all prisoners out every weekend? Why should prison interfere with golf games and hanging out with one's buddies?

c) I agree. We need to separate who we are afraid of from who we are mad at. Imprison those we are afraid of and come up with other ways to deal with the rest.

I am afraid of murderers, of people who shoot police officers in the back of the head. I want them imprisoned for the entire length of their sentence. I want family members notified when they are on the street.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
In our home state, my DH was notified each time his mom's murderers were up for parole and then when one was released we knew the release date.

I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case everywhere. I'd hate to run into someone I thought was still locked up for committing a crime on a family member or myself.
I thought that was the policy everywhere.

Surprised to read that things are so lax in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary