Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 05:20 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Just read in the N&O about prison inmates getting weekends off.

Prosecutors want end to prisoner weekend release program | State Politics | NewsObserver.com

Though prison officials say this program is to help soon-to-be-released prisoners make the transition back to the community, it appears that several of the prisoners are a long ways away from that. One guy has been going home for two years where he spends time rallying support for his parole. Clearly, the plans are not in place for his release.

June 15 & 16, there were 149 prisoners wandering our neighborhoods, including 36 convicted of murder and 19 listed as "habitual felons." A woman serving a life sentence for killing a police officer was on a wee holiday from the Big House.

What in the world is going on here?

Anybody know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 05:27 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,963 times
What's going on is it saves money and money talks. I like the idea of the program for people getting ready to be released. Right now the prison system, at least in our state, does very little to help offenders as they are coming out and trying to adjust to life on the outside, which means they generally end up back inside. But for people with long sentences, I don't get the point. Except, again, that it is saving money.

Edit: Just saw that it says they only get to participate if they are within a year of their release. So yeah, I can definitely see how this program would be helpful to them establishing themselves in preparation for getting out.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:30 AM

892 posts, read 3,161,422 times
It is confusing that someone with a life sentence is eligible for weekend/work release over say most any other inmate.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
What's going on is it saves money and money talks. I like the idea of the program for people getting ready to be released. Right now the prison system, at least in our state, does very little to help offenders as they are coming out and trying to adjust to life on the outside, which means they generally end up back inside. But for people with long sentences, I don't get the point. Except, again, that it is saving money.

Edit: Just saw that it says they only get to participate if they are within a year of their release. So yeah, I can definitely see how this program would be helpful to them establishing themselves in preparation for getting out.
But one guy has been home weekends for two years, apparently working on getting support for a parole hearing. Others are serving life sentences for murder. It is unclear just how close any of them are to a release date.

Are they saving money by not having to feed them on weekends? Are there other savings I haven't thought about?

Shouldn't their victims be notified they're out and about?

Old 06-28-2013, 06:43 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
But one guy...
So... is your objection to the program in total?
or to how the prison officials handle a few cases out of the thousands that run through their office?

Old 06-28-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
So... is your objection to the program in total?
or to how the prison officials handle a few cases out of the thousands that run through their office?
Not sure I object at all, just seems strange to me. I've heard of transitioning to halfway houses upon release from prison. Never heard of prisoners getting weekends off for years at a time.

My understanding is that victims and their families are notified of parole hearings and release dates so that they can take what steps are necessary.

But with no notification of weekend passes, presumably people could wander into the grocery store and run up against the person who raped them, or killed their brother, or ...?

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 06-28-2013 at 07:10 AM..

Old 06-28-2013, 07:01 AM

78 posts, read 127,126 times
Do you have any information on this? A webpage link?

Old 06-28-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangogh121 View Post
Do you have any information on this? A webpage link?
Prosecutors want end to prisoner weekend release program | State Politics | NewsObserver.com

Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 AM

Many inmates transition to halfway houses at the end of their sentences. They work with counselors and parole officers on jobs, living situations, family reunification, and other transitional activities. I think this is a great idea.

But these weekend passes seem to be time off to do whatever -- play golf, hang out with your old friends...
It also appears to be shortening sentences without going through the courts.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 06-28-2013 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-28-2013, 08:58 AM

78 posts, read 127,126 times
The article is quite vague, I wish there was more detail about the inmates in question, their specific crimes and how far they are in to their rehabilitation. I agree that this would be a great program to transition back into society. My only concern would be for individuals that might not be rehabilitated. On the good note, there is not reports of crimes from these individuals and none have jumped ship. Hopefully this article will force a stronger look at the program and ensure we are doing the right thing for the inmates and the community they will be reintroduced into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary