Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 AM

8 posts, read 9,540 times

Advertisements

Good morning all!. I have read this forum many times to get information but never posted on it for myself. I am a bit nervous about my family's relocation. My husband was recently asked about relocating. We thought we were going to be placed in Atlanta, where we know people. The company had other plans for us. They want my husband to work at the plant in Dudley, NC instead. I have never been to NC and am really excited about the move just know nothing about it. From what I have gathered, Dudley is in the middle of nowhere. We have an 18 month old daughter and a son due in September. We would love a family friendly place to live with a lot to do. My husband is fine with commuting to work about 30 minutes. I have seen that Goldsboro is the closest to Dudley but have seen very mixed reviews about the crime rates there. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I posted on another forum and was told to focus on this group. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 05:10 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Do you have a choice about relocating?

Where do you live now?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:07 PM
NR3

6 posts, read 5,987 times
I live in NC and have never heard of the area. I know where Goldsboro is, but I would not want to live there. Do you have to relocate to that location?? Are you coming from a large city? I imagine that the Dudley area is very rural.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:16 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,355,335 times
Dudley is a long way from the Triangle area. Maybe this would be better placed in the NC forum?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:22 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Based on the fact that it seems like your family is from a more populated area, I could see how living in Dudley (had to look it up...lol) would be a huge shock to the system. I've traveled to Goldsboro several times for business and I hate even parking my car in the hotel parking lot there. Out of all the cities and towns I travel to in NC, I honestly dislike Goldsboro the most (maybe Rocky Mount for the tie).

I would look into Clayton in Johnston County. By the looks of it, it would be about a 40-45 mile commute for your husband, but he would never have to worry about traffic. You and your family would enjoy Clayton a whole lot better than Goldsboro as it's safer, has much better schools and is roughly 20-30 minutes from downtown Raleigh. Also, you're going to find a lot more variety of housing in Clayton with many new neighborhoods with more transplants. Clayton would be my suggestion.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:34 AM

596 posts, read 1,239,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melibig View Post
Good morning all!. I have read this forum many times to get information but never posted on it for myself. I am a bit nervous about my family's relocation. My husband was recently asked about relocating. We thought we were going to be placed in Atlanta, where we know people. The company had other plans for us. They want my husband to work at the plant in Dudley, NC instead. I have never been to NC and am really excited about the move just know nothing about it. From what I have gathered, Dudley is in the middle of nowhere. We have an 18 month old daughter and a son due in September. We would love a family friendly place to live with a lot to do. My husband is fine with commuting to work about 30 minutes. I have seen that Goldsboro is the closest to Dudley but have seen very mixed reviews about the crime rates there. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I posted on another forum and was told to focus on this group. Thanks!!
No offense, but if you are from a large metropolitan area you won't like it there! We live in the Raleigh area, and this is no NYC, nor Ft Lauderdale where we lived for many years! Please check it out before you move! Good luck !!!

Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I would look into Clayton in Johnston County. By the looks of it, it would be about a 40-45 mile commute for your husband, but he would never have to worry about traffic. You and your family would enjoy Clayton a whole lot better than Goldsboro as it's safer, has much better schools and is roughly 20-30 minutes from downtown Raleigh. Also, you're going to find a lot more variety of housing in Clayton with many new neighborhoods with more transplants. Clayton would be my suggestion.
I would also recommend Clayton. I am not a fan of many podunk towns which are located along highway 70. Clayton is a growing area with good schools unlike Goldsboro, Kinston, or La Grange.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:12 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,074 times
Clayton or Smithfield might work. Maybe even Benson. Just a thought. I've sold many homes out that way, and you get more home for your money. :-)

Old 07-16-2013, 07:23 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
in order to have "a lot to do" in Dudley, you'll need to join a church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary