Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 02:24 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnOrange3 View Post
I really would like to check out the fireworks in Raleigh so that is a possibility if my husband doesn't have to work because I don't know what it would be like out there to find parking and find my way to and from fireworks and back to the car. I am one of those who gets lost even with a GPS sometimes!
Forget Raleigh. They are now downtown. Tall buildings block the view from many areas. Parking is a problem. Many spectators have too much to drink. They come out of the downtown bars to watch the fireworks, smoking, cussing, etc. Not kids friendly. Raleigh has not been the same since they left the fairgrounds. Garner and Clayon are much better experiences. Cleveland comes in 3rd for our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 06:47 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnOrange3 View Post
Lol. I moved here from AZ, before that was NJ, by way of CA, previously, 4 years in NY as a teen and a small stint in FL as a kid, but basically was born and was raised between Southern CA and NY. The best summer weather in my opinion was AZ. Yes, It was hot as hell, but dry with the exception of August. I kind of miss it.. I moved around way too much! I've been in major humidity in FL when I was a kiddie and visits here and there later on, and NY to me was OMG humid as could be! Also Southern CA, people look at me like I have an extra eye when I mention humidity there. Hehe! It doesn't seem so bad in the summer here to me, but I am not a summer person. I LOVE the fall and live for it! In fact I'm counting down to the first day of fall (73 days ) and Halloween. (112 days) I've never enjoyed summers very much anywhere, but here and AZ seem to have been the most bearable to me.

Yes it wasn't that easy to find a dry spot and in certain spots it smelled really bad like by the food trucks. I did see quite a few people splashed with mud and some with no shoes on and mud up past their ankles. I did ask my kiddo 40 times before we left for our walk towards the park, to make sure she used the bathroom because I didn't know what the bathroom situation would be like there. We didn't explore much either due to the mud, but than again we purposely didn't get there until much later. I was scared that I too if I would have parked wouldn't have been able to find my car. ( Yes.. that's me you all see out here at the grocery stores walking around looking for my car)
I'm not sure what we will do next year, I really would like to check out the fireworks in Raleigh so that is a possibility if my husband doesn't have to work because I don't know what it would be like out there to find parking and find my way to and from fireworks and back to the car. I am one of those who gets lost even with a GPS sometimes!

Wow-This is only the second place I've lived, and the summers here seem like a bad summer day in WI. I would love the heat if there was no humidity-but I don't think I'd like the southwest. I like green too much.

As for you finding your car, It seems we have the same sense of direction! I am always looking for my car in a parking lot, and have more than once tried to enter someone else's car thinking it was mine-that hasnt happened in a few days though!

I don't think downtown fireworks sound appealing. I like spending the 4th at a park. Garner and thee Cleveland area sounded fun too. I'd like to find one place I'm happy with and go there every year. Clayton had some nice things, but I didn't even see kids' games, and I really missed the food stands I'm accustomed to-like grilled burgers and corn on the cob dripping in butter.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
Forget Raleigh. They are now downtown. Tall buildings block the view from many areas. Parking is a problem. Many spectators have too much to drink. They come out of the downtown bars to watch the fireworks, smoking, cussing, etc. Not kids friendly. Raleigh has not been the same since they left the fairgrounds. Garner and Clayon are much better experiences. Cleveland comes in 3rd for our family.
Could you give points on what you like about each: Garner, Clayton, and Cleveland for the 4th? Is Garner your first preference?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:09 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times
Here in Clayton, we spent our 4th eating breakfast at Biscuitville, then spent 4 hours getting extra sun (just spent a week in Myrtle) at the community pool - sun was hot and water felt great along with drinking a few cold Coronas and Cap'n Morgan/Cokes - then moved back to the house where we grilled absolutely wonderful pork ribs, baked potatoes, and a few more cold Coronas and Cap'ns, then spent the evening outside listening to our mp3 - 60s thru present favorite songs, plus a few more Corona's and Cap'ns, listening to some far away neighbors setting off fireworks. Then a little romance..... It was a GREAT 4th - no crowds, no mud, great dinner, no drunk driving, and a good buzz Guess I should add - the joy of being empty nesters.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:55 AM

615 posts, read 1,502,889 times
The lake Benson event in garner is larger 20'000+…………but really nice with the symphony playing in the background before and during fireworks. Tons of room for blankets on lawn and a park...a few vendors. But pretty fireworks over the lake. But it IS crowded...get there early for parking. Just bring a picnic lunch and let the kids frolic.(no swimming in lake..but they can throw rocks in etc

Cleveland is much more low key but nice too...parade in morning.....not a lot midday except playground..batting cages..a few vendors and snocones. Nice fireworks display at night with less crowds.

The garner event is very dependent on weather forecast...they delayed it this year (and past years) tiil n ext day. The Cleveland event is rain. Or shine...it never rained...but the garner event relies heavily on forecast due to size of event and symphony so if there is even a chance for rain they cancel.. I think u would enjoy either depending on your crowd tolerance.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
The lake Benson event in garner is larger 20'000+…………but really nice with the symphony playing in the background before and during fireworks. Tons of room for blankets on lawn and a park...a few vendors. But pretty fireworks over the lake. But it IS crowded...get there early for parking. Just bring a picnic lunch and let the kids frolic.(no swimming in lake..but they can throw rocks in etc

Cleveland is much more low key but nice too...parade in morning.....not a lot midday except playground..batting cages..a few vendors and snocones. Nice fireworks display at night with less crowds.

The garner event is very dependent on weather forecast...they delayed it this year (and past years) tiil n ext day. The Cleveland event is rain. Or shine...it never rained...but the garner event relies heavily on forecast due to size of event and symphony so if there is even a chance for rain they cancel.. I think u would enjoy either depending on your crowd tolerance.
Thanks. IF the Garner thing is at a lake, I might have trouble as my little guy w/ special needs is drawn to water in any form. Maybe by next year, he'll have outgrown this a bit.

Doesn't sound like anywhere has a bunch of games/activites for the kids during the day and a bunch of guys grilling burgers, hot dogs, corn, etc so we only have to worry about packing drinks and snacks. (I guess lifelong traditions are hard to give up) And-bathrooms are a necessity. Waiting in line forever with kids is a HUGE problem. My one refuses to use a port-a-potty-she's a germaphobe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary