Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

My family has been in SE NC since pre-Revolutionary War era so I think we may have evolved to like the hotter summers. Or maybe the first ones moved here to find warmer weather to begin with.

Summer is by far my favorite season in North Carolina and then Spring and then Fall and I hate Winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
My family has been in SE NC since pre-Revolutionary War era so I think we may have evolved to like the hotter summers. Or maybe the first ones moved here to find warmer weather to begin with.

Summer is by far my favorite season in North Carolina and then Spring and then Fall and I hate Winter.
My family has been here the same amount of time, roughly speaking. I hate summer here.

I also hate winter.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Maybe my first immigrant ancestors moved here to escape the damp cold of the UK for the sunny heat of the South. I know my elderly aunts have always liked it hot, too. Love of heat does seem to run in my family. I'm so happy to see the sun back after all that rain, too.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:43 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Maybe my first immigrant ancestors moved here to escape the damp cold of the UK for the sunny heat of the South. I know my elderly aunts have always liked it hot, too. Love of heat does seem to run in my family. I'm so happy to see the sun back after all that rain, too.
It's possible! I have people in my family that love summer. And some that love winter. I've always preferred the middle ground. If I had to choose, summer would win out over winter, though.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:52 AM

120 posts, read 248,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebluebell View Post
And get a sun shade for your car. It makes errands that much more bearable. Yes you still have to walk across molten asphalt to get in and out, but at least you're jumping into a slightly less oppressive oven when you're through.
This is an important tip. Having had shade for my car for the longest time, I moved here into a temporary place that does not have shade. Thankfully moving out in a couple of weeks and if I had to do it again, I would take that into consideration.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I've lived here my whole life and have never gotten used to the summer heat. I'll stick with AC. Some people never acclimate and there's no reason to be uncomfortable.

Same here. I HATE when it gets above 80-85*. There's nothing comfortable about it, and I sweat like a (insert inappropriate cliche here).

I spent about 45 minutes yesterday doing some woodworking. Basically standing around running a saw and sander. And when I finished, I was drenched head to toe. I typically shower at least twice a day in the summer. I find it to be miserable. I wouldn't live here without A/C, at home or in the car.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:59 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova123 View Post
This our first summer in the triangle and so far we've been lucky but I looked at the forecast and I can see the 90 - 100 degree days coming. I'm curious what advice do the natives have about staying cool during the hot summer days. I'm specifically concerned about my toddler who's in daycare.
You need to be very careful for your toddler, shade, AC, hydration, etc.

But as an adult, I like to go biking. Just stay hydrated and don't stop. (wind helps cool you down). Mostly, you're better off learning how to deal with it, rather than running from it. Be smart, stay hydrated, don't over-exert, but also don't cower in the AC if you are otherwise an active person.

I'm going for a ride right now. (if I never post again, you'll know this was bad advice.)

Old 07-06-2013, 09:40 AM

546 posts, read 1,678,456 times
Swim! We're out at the pool as often as possible. Even on 100 degree days it's amazing how comfortable you can be chilling in a pool.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Don't become an AC addict...acclimate, acclimate, acclimate!
I take my mountain bike out and ride the trails in the woods where it's cooler. Once I get home, I hose off in the driveway and then take a nice cool shower

Old 07-06-2013, 01:19 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
Swim! We're out at the pool as often as possible. Even on 100 degree days it's amazing how comfortable you can be chilling in a pool.
Thanks for the invite, you can PM your address.

My neighbor has a pool, but our yard isn't conducive to adding a pool, (heavily wooded lot with a downhill slope). We buy one of those small kiddie pools for the kids, but I don't really fit well into them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary