Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 04:05 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times

Advertisements

Shortly I'll be a resident of raleigh, and I'm curious about where people prefer to get the goods and services we all use. I'm not looking for that special place you go to once in a while, I'm more curious as to where you go routinely. My list is only a kickstarter for an easy copy paste... feel free to add items I missed! I'm looking for the places that you personally go to.

So, where do you go when you need

Items:

groceries

specialty groceries

appliances

electronics

furniture

lumber/hardware

Clothing

health/beauty

decorative items

sporting goods

Auto parts

Pharmacy

Pet Care - land rovers

Pet care - aquatic

Eating out

American

italian

seafood

mexican

specialty

drinks/social

coffee/cafe

breakfast

Pizza

desserts/ ice cream/ FroYo

sushi

Chinese

Quick service/fast food/take out

southern

Bakery

Deli

indian

Diner

Healthy Fare

Steakhouse

workday lunch

Services

Gym

Water delivery

TV

Internet

mobile phone

Worship

Primary care

Urgent care

Financial / Banking

insurance

Last edited by Vinny536; 07-06-2013 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 05:07 PM

423 posts, read 1,094,911 times
There are some wonderful websites that rhyme with help and pitysearch to answer most every category. Are we allowed to say those wrbsite names here?

Old 07-06-2013, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,008 times
Lived here since 2005. Moved from NYC (long story). Disclaimer: I'm more toward Apex (in Cary officially). So someone who lives in Raleigh proper could probably offer some different possibly better answers. Think I want to start helping others that are moving here more, so hope this is helpful to someone.

Items:

groceries - Wholesale Club (BJs for me, but Sams and Costco are here also) Food Lion, Lowes food,. Kroger, now the neighborhood walmart food place.

specialty groceries - Harris Teeter, World Market, online, specialty places like the meat market.

appliances - Depends on appliance. Lowes, Home Depot, online, or some nice local places depending on what you want.

electronics - generally online, but there's some local places like intrex (SP?) along with the usuals: Best Buy, etc.

furniture: Are you kidding? NC was the furniture Capital of the US for a long time. Hickory is the place to go to be overwhelmed with furniture. Great weekend trip to get ideas. Locally, there are some name brand stores or drive down 70 between Crabtree mall and Brier Creek and you'll see a ton of places.

lumber/hardware - The same place eveyone else goes? Lowes/Home Depot or if the project is big enough one of the lumber stores.

Clothing - Very dependent on your taste/budget. Not touching that one.

health/beauty - Target, Wal mart, drugstore (CVS/Walgreens), Grocery stores for some small stuff. Wholesale club for bulk stuff (razors).

decorative items - ton of places to pick from and I keep discovering more. Vague description though. Many drive to ikea in Charlotte occasionally also.

sporting goods - Dicks, Play it again sports, online.

Auto parts - All the majors are here. Autozone, Napa, Advance.

Pharmacy - Ton of drugstores like CVS, Walgreens. Target and the grocery stores like Harris Teeter do a good job of competing with them though. Get your prescription printed and hand it to them though. Target sucks for being sent a prescription.

Pet Care - land rovers - Randenn Kennels in Apex is superb. Highly recommend.

Pet care - aquatic - No experience here.

Eating out (Only answering the ones in here I find exceptional. Yelp is better for this.)

mexican - Los tres Magueyes (sp?) A few other local mexican places.

specialty - Lucky 32, but there are a bunch.

drinks/social - Flying Saucer, Tylers Taproom, Tribeca Tavern

breakfast - La Farm Bakery. Superb!

Pizza - Amante is one of my personal favorites.

desserts/ ice cream/ FroYo - Many of the fancy places you could drop in for a divine dessert. That's probably what I'd do.

sushi - Ton of sushi places around here. Depend if you're looking for quality, quantity, or variety. Look to Yelp for this.

Chinese - PF Changs (Technically the one in Durham is where I go.).

Quick service/fast food/take out - All the usual places.

southern - I'll put one of my favorites here. The Q Shack on University up in Durham.

Bakery - La Farm again. They do amazing things with bread there. Nice little eat in place (though usually packed and hard to get a table).

Deli - Many like Jason's Deli or McCallisters. I prefer to do this stuff at home.

indian - Saffron is one of my favorites if a bit on the higher side of price.

Healthy Fare - Depends on your definition of healthy.

Steakhouse- Brasa (Brazilian Steakhouse), Ruth's Chris (I know it's a chain, it's still fantastic), Rey's (nice local equivalent to Ruth's Chris), Peak City Grille (Apex).

workday lunch - Depends on where you work. Ask your coworkers. Many of the big places around here have a very nice cafeteria selection.

Services

Gym - Work or whatever is close. Ton of little options popping up for Les Mills, Crossfit, or specialty.

Water delivery - What's wrong with a filter? (Kinda kidding. Not something I worry about.)

TV - Most people around here I know use ATT U-Verse, TWC, or DirecTV. I'm a netflix + amazon prime guy.

Internet - U-verse or TWC I believe dominate.

mobile phone - all the majors are here (Sprint, VZ, AT&T). Most of my coworkers have VZ and I'm about tempted to switch from Sprint.

Worship - Depends on your worship style. Contemporary, Classic, or something specific (such as Catholic).

Primary care - Ask for references. The medical community around here is massive with Duke.

Urgent care - There are a bunch of quick care places. I'm more toward apex and the Wakemed Apex place has been phenomenal for my needs.

Financial / Banking - Wells Fargo, and BB&T have a good footprint here.

insurance - Depends on the type of insurance.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:25 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Man that is a long list!

Old 07-06-2013, 08:28 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
Shortly I'll be a resident of raleigh, and I'm curious about where people prefer to get the goods and services we all use. I'm not looking for that special place you go to once in a while, I'm more curious as to where you go routinely. My list is only a kickstarter for an easy copy paste... feel free to add items I missed! I'm looking for the places that you personally go to.

So, where do you go when you need

Items:

groceries Kroger, Costco, BJ's, Walmart for staples (except for BJ's, I have to travel for them and it's worth it)

specialty groceries Trader Joes, Grand Asia (TJ's is close to Costco or Grand Asia)

appliances HH Gregg, if buying several items. If not, it doesn't matter - you'll get ripped off on the delivery.

electronics - Amazon

furniture FurnitureLand South if buying many pieces. If not, Craigslist. Insist on new and only need a few pieces? Coopers in Cary.

lumber/hardware

Clothing

health/beauty

decorative items HomeGoods

sporting goods

Auto parts

Pharmacy Costco

Pet Care - land rovers Assuming you mean purchased goods vs. vet care: Amazon

Pet care - aquatic

Eating out

American

italian

seafood

mexican

specialty

drinks/social

coffee/cafe

breakfast

Pizza

desserts/ ice cream/ FroYo

sushi

Chinese

Quick service/fast food/take out

southern

Bakery

Deli

indian

Diner

Healthy Fare

Steakhouse

workday lunch

Services

Gym

Water delivery WHY????? The water is perfectly fine from the tap here.

TV TWC, if you need fast internet and a landline because the bundled price works. If you don't need fast internet and/or a landline, you have other choices. Frankly, I wish I had other choices than TWC, but we don't.

Internet Uverse, if you can get it (and that's not that common here) TWC, unless you can accept less than 5 mgs. Sadly, there are no other GOOD alternatives.

mobile phone Verizon, unless you can accept less coverage and some dropped calls. Now that I have a landline, I'll be dropping Verizon for a prepaid when our contract is up. I'm VERY happy with their service, but they need to establish smaller calling plans.

Worship

Primary care Duke

Urgent care

Financial / Banking

insurance

Final comment: THIS IS TOO LONG A LIST. We eat out a lot, but I'm ignoring your restaurant recommendations. There are plenty of other sites for that.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:50 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtptech View Post
Lived here since 2005. Moved from NYC (long story). Disclaimer: I'm more toward Apex (in Cary officially). So someone who lives in Raleigh proper could probably offer some different possibly better answers. Think I want to start helping others that are moving here more, so hope this is helpful to someone.

Items:

groceries - Wholesale Club (BJs for me, but Sams and Costco are here also) Food Lion, Lowes food,. Kroger, now the neighborhood walmart food place.

specialty groceries - Harris Teeter, World Market, online, specialty places like the meat market.

appliances - Depends on appliance. Lowes, Home Depot, online, or some nice local places depending on what you want.

electronics - generally online, but there's some local places like intrex (SP?) along with the usuals: Best Buy, etc.

furniture: Are you kidding? NC was the furniture Capital of the US for a long time. Hickory is the place to go to be overwhelmed with furniture. Great weekend trip to get ideas. Locally, there are some name brand stores or drive down 70 between Crabtree mall and Brier Creek and you'll see a ton of places.

lumber/hardware - The same place eveyone else goes? Lowes/Home Depot or if the project is big enough one of the lumber stores.

Clothing - Very dependent on your taste/budget. Not touching that one.

health/beauty - Target, Wal mart, drugstore (CVS/Walgreens), Grocery stores for some small stuff. Wholesale club for bulk stuff (razors).

decorative items - ton of places to pick from and I keep discovering more. Vague description though. Many drive to ikea in Charlotte occasionally also.

sporting goods - Dicks, Play it again sports, online.

Auto parts - All the majors are here. Autozone, Napa, Advance.

Pharmacy - Ton of drugstores like CVS, Walgreens. Target and the grocery stores like Harris Teeter do a good job of competing with them though. Get your prescription printed and hand it to them though. Target sucks for being sent a prescription.

Pet Care - land rovers - Randenn Kennels in Apex is superb. Highly recommend.

Pet care - aquatic - No experience here.

Eating out (Only answering the ones in here I find exceptional. Yelp is better for this.)

mexican - Los tres Magueyes (sp?) A few other local mexican places.

specialty - Lucky 32, but there are a bunch.

drinks/social - Flying Saucer, Tylers Taproom, Tribeca Tavern

breakfast - La Farm Bakery. Superb!

Pizza - Amante is one of my personal favorites.

desserts/ ice cream/ FroYo - Many of the fancy places you could drop in for a divine dessert. That's probably what I'd do.

sushi - Ton of sushi places around here. Depend if you're looking for quality, quantity, or variety. Look to Yelp for this.

Chinese - PF Changs (Technically the one in Durham is where I go.).

Quick service/fast food/take out - All the usual places.

southern - I'll put one of my favorites here. The Q Shack on University up in Durham.

Bakery - La Farm again. They do amazing things with bread there. Nice little eat in place (though usually packed and hard to get a table).

Deli - Many like Jason's Deli or McCallisters. I prefer to do this stuff at home.

indian - Saffron is one of my favorites if a bit on the higher side of price.

Healthy Fare - Depends on your definition of healthy.

Steakhouse- Brasa (Brazilian Steakhouse), Ruth's Chris (I know it's a chain, it's still fantastic), Rey's (nice local equivalent to Ruth's Chris), Peak City Grille (Apex).

workday lunch - Depends on where you work. Ask your coworkers. Many of the big places around here have a very nice cafeteria selection.

Services

Gym - Work or whatever is close. Ton of little options popping up for Les Mills, Crossfit, or specialty.

Water delivery - What's wrong with a filter? (Kinda kidding. Not something I worry about.)

TV - Most people around here I know use ATT U-Verse, TWC, or DirecTV. I'm a netflix + amazon prime guy.

Internet - U-verse or TWC I believe dominate.

mobile phone - all the majors are here (Sprint, VZ, AT&T). Most of my coworkers have VZ and I'm about tempted to switch from Sprint.

Worship - Depends on your worship style. Contemporary, Classic, or something specific (such as Catholic).

Primary care - Ask for references. The medical community around here is massive with Duke.

Urgent care - There are a bunch of quick care places. I'm more toward apex and the Wakemed Apex place has been phenomenal for my needs.

Financial / Banking - Wells Fargo, and BB&T have a good footprint here.

insurance - Depends on the type of insurance.

You get a reputation check from me for even bothering to answer that too too long list.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:14 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
We no longer need this forum - everything is covered in that one list.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
You forgot South American dude My favorite is Guasaca on Lake Boone Tr.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
We no longer need this forum - everything is covered in that one list.
I believe you err in your assessment.
The permutations are endless.

Where can I get a pedicure, good pizza, buy a gun, find a good mechanic, and listen to live zydeco all under one roof?

Old 07-07-2013, 01:59 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
BJ's has NY delicacies like Gabila's knishes and Temptee cream cheese.

Fresh Market has the real (not skinless) Nathan's frankfurters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary