Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 02:43 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times

Advertisements

Specifically, I live in the Highlands neighborhood, and have what I think is a pretty decent antenna, and don't get very reliable tv reception. I get the 4's, 5', 17's and 50's from time to time, but none of them are solid (most of the time).

Just wondering if anyone else has similar or different experience, especially in this particular neighborhood. (I won't put my address on CD, but can communicate about where I live with a regular poster if that helps.)

Let me know what your experience is. Include general location (as close as you are willing), hardware, results, and any tips you've learned.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 04:26 PM

5,884 posts, read 6,950,861 times
This site has good info on antennas. You can put in your address to see what stations you can get.
AntennaWeb - Home

Old 07-07-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
This site has good info on antennas. You can put in your address to see what stations you can get.
AntennaWeb - Home

I've used that, and I'm not sure how granular the results are, but I do not get the same results as they suggest. I wonder if my house is in a low-spot, or my antenna is not great, or what, but I'm not getting the results. (I actually got MUCH better results when I lived in Lee County, over 30 miles away, using the same antenna!)

Last edited by Myghost; 07-07-2013 at 05:29 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 PM

9 posts, read 11,846 times
I've got a Mohu antenna (made in Raleigh) and I get all the networks, about 30 stations, loads of HD. My house is lower than the surrounding homes. Rain and air traffic can degrade reception and sometimes I need to rescan. No cable for me!

Old 07-08-2013, 07:44 PM

379 posts, read 749,221 times
The best outdoor antennas are the DB4 and DB8. You can use these in an attic, too. The only decent indoor antenna is the Mohu. The quality of your coax connection (distance, splitters, cable quality) matters. Sometimes an amplifier is required.

What hardware do you have, and where is it located?

Old 07-08-2013, 08:10 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
We have a Leaf indoor antenna....works great...I am further west than you (by 55)....we are at a high point though. When we used one inNY at a relatives house it did not work as well. Got ABC and CBS on one side of the apartment and NBC and Fox on the other! We did have buildings blocking on both sides but interesting what came in and where.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:25 PM

379 posts, read 749,221 times
FYI Mohu = Leaf, made in Raleigh

Still better off with a DB4 in my opinion

Old 07-09-2013, 06:03 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
Funny we almost bought a house in Highlands!

Our signal is hit or miss with our bunny ears. NBC gets the worst reception. We live near Trader Joe's. If we decide to cancel our cable again I might have to look into a Mohu.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by static_g View Post
The best outdoor antennas are the DB4 and DB8. You can use these in an attic, too. The only decent indoor antenna is the Mohu. The quality of your coax connection (distance, splitters, cable quality) matters. Sometimes an amplifier is required.

What hardware do you have, and where is it located?
I think I'm going to give this a try. Local company, reasonable price, and they stand behind their product (return if it doesn't work for me). Anyone know if you can purchase in person. Shipping is free, so I guess it doesn't matter that much...

Anyway (hardware):
I've got a new-ish (2 years) Samsung Plasma TV, 43 inches. Not fancy, but has a great picture.
My current antenna is a TURK, like the one in the link: Amazon.com: Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception: Electronics
I stream Netflix through my DVD player.

Sometimes my signal is fine, but sometimes it's not. Usually it's not, when I'm really into watching something. LOL.

Superficial, but I also like that the Leaf is white. I can probably make it blend a little more. (I assume that "higher mounting is better", but I'll play around with it before I drill any holes.

if I love it, I may get a second for another TV.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:15 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by static_g View Post
FYI Mohu = Leaf, made in Raleigh

Still better off with a DB4 in my opinion
thought Mobu sounded familiar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary