Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:16 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times

Advertisements

If you're just wanting to sit out on your deck or something like that, a fan works really well to blow them away. They're not very strong flyers and a stiff breeze is enough to send them sailing away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 09:18 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Bats are not an effective means of controlling mosquitoes.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:48 AM

150 posts, read 175,423 times
Fan, screen porch, personal applications of DEET...

Even with DEET, I use long pants when doing yard work. Sweating and putting out a lot of CO2 brings them on in even if I have applied repellant. And stirring up a bunch in brush while working in the yard...well, they're ticked off and will hang around long enough for a butt-chewing before they leave

Old 07-12-2013, 11:27 AM

224 posts, read 432,344 times
Anyone concerned about spraying the yard with little ones running around? My twins still put everything they find in their mouth

Old 07-12-2013, 12:18 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,921,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbornNClivin View Post
Anyone concerned about spraying the yard with little ones running around? My twins still put everything they find in their mouth
I have a 4 year old. The stuff settles after 15-20min and I don't let her out until it's all settled. She won't put things in her mouth now, although I've been spraying since she was 2. The stuff is supposedly safe and is EPA approved according to the company. She and I are big mosquito magnets so we'd get eaten alive otherwise and I figure I would rather try this than constantly spray her with chemicals that are in direct contact with her skin.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:42 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
We don't spray chemicals. Mosquitos are just one of the hazards of living in NC. Occasionally we use a little natural bug repellent, but if we're grilling out on the deck, we bring the fan out there and blow them away. Otherwise they don't get on our nerves too much. We do have tons of them, but it's just not something that bothers me enough that I feel the need to spray poisons. Few things would, though. Got two kids, too. So basically, I don't worry about "controlling" mosquitos beyond trying to cut down on their potential breeding places. We also capture spiders and release them outside, fwiw. I do kill ticks and will happily swat a mosquito that lands on me, but there are plenty of mosquitos in our neighborhood so if I were to treat my yard, they'd probably just come over from the neighbors' and harass us anyway.

You can make a good homemade mosquito repellent with cloves. I can't remember where I fist saw there recipe, but you make a tincture of whole cloves in alcohol and let that sit. Then you mix it with a carrier oil (like olive oil, or your choice) when you want to apply it. I tried it and it worked for me. Here's a study that indicate cloves are an effective mosquito repellent: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16041723 .

Last edited by poppydog; 07-12-2013 at 03:53 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 04:01 PM

49 posts, read 89,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
What makes you say this? The reason I ask is that about a year ago in a different context I had heard the opposite view asserted.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:39 PM

677 posts, read 1,903,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
We don't spray chemicals. Mosquitos are just one of the hazards of living in NC. Occasionally we use a little natural bug repellent, but if we're grilling out on the deck, we bring the fan out there and blow them away. Otherwise they don't get on our nerves too much. We do have tons of them, but it's just not something that bothers me enough that I feel the need to spray poisons. Few things would, though.
We don't spray chemicals either; was hoping someone would suggest a good alternative. We have a honey bee hive and wouldn't dare risk harming them or any of the other beneficial bugs in the garden. I hate mosquitoes, too, but I guess I'm a "tree (bug) hugger" and don't want to risk adding to the decline of bees or other good bugs.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:54 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by agingdisgracefully View Post
What makes you say this?
Math. Bats do eat insects, but mosquitoes are something like 1% of their diet. They don't eat enough to make much of a dent in the population of mosquitoes. And the bats and mosquitoes both move around - you'd need a huge number of bats to cover the territory in which the mosquitoes are breeding and feeding.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:03 PM

49 posts, read 89,826 times
Interesting. In terms of movement, some mosquitoes move around. I've heard that many Aedes (the genus that includes the dengue carriers) usually doesn't fly more than 100 yards from its birthplace but many Anopheles (contains many of the malaria carriers) do move around more. A couple of years ago I'd asked someone why dengue was (likely) worsening in cities in South Asia and the person I spoke to (knowledgeable in dengue matters) suggested that one (of many) factors was the probably decline in bat numbers due to terrible urban air pollution. But Aedes Aegypti, which doesn't move around much, is the dengue carrier there, so maybe that goes toward proving your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary