Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 09:06 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Well, in saturnfan's defense, he's always rented. No fees to pay there.

Thing is, there are plenty of people moving here who are NOT buying homes, though. Impact fees would do very little to help out the overcrowding due to the kids of people who rent when they move here.

Soo... extrapolate from that what you will.
I extrapolate that it is kind of you to mention it.

There are among us those who believe that only property owners should be enfranchised to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 10:05 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
Couldn't have said it better. We moved to Wake Forest, a nice little small town, to get away from the madness that is south Florida. Was great for the first five years or so, and then the population began to mushroom. Wouldn't be so bad if there was a transportation infrastructure that could be commensurately scaled up, but there's nothing but cars and buses. Had I known what was in store, I doubt we would have moved here.
I keep hearing this from people, that we need public transportation. I have no idea how that would work.

I live in North Raleigh off of a tertiary road and nearly a mile from the entrance to my sub-division. Let's say I could catch a bus from that entrance, I would then need to be transported to RTP. So let's extend to the possible scenario's: I take the bus to a lite rail that runs parallel to I-540 and transfer to another lite rail that run's parallel to I-40. From there I'd need to take another bus that would probably drop me off just outside of the campus were I work and have to walk about a half mile to my building. So that's four connections plus about 1.5 miles of walking, including in the rain, extreme heat and occasional winter weather. That commute would take at least an hour; my drive is about twenty minutes right now.

And let's say I wanted to travel to downtown Raleigh. Same walk to the bus, then a second bus which would run down Creedmoor to Glenwood (which I believe already exists). From there I'd need to transfer to a third bus. It would take me so much longer than if I simply drive.

We just don't have the centralized and consolidated layout to make public transportation viable.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:23 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I keep hearing this from people, that we need public transportation. I have no idea how that would work.

I live in North Raleigh off of a tertiary road and nearly a mile from the entrance to my sub-division. Let's say I could catch a bus from that entrance, I would then need to be transported to RTP. So let's extend to the possible scenario's: I take the bus to a lite rail that runs parallel to I-540 and transfer to another lite rail that run's parallel to I-40. From there I'd need to take another bus that would probably drop me off just outside of the campus were I work and have to walk about a half mile to my building. So that's four connections plus about 1.5 miles of walking, including in the rain, extreme heat and occasional winter weather. That commute would take at least an hour; my drive is about twenty minutes right now.

And let's say I wanted to travel to downtown Raleigh. Same walk to the bus, then a second bus which would run down Creedmoor to Glenwood (which I believe already exists). From there I'd need to transfer to a third bus. It would take me so much longer than if I simply drive.

We just don't have the centralized and consolidated layout to make public transportation viable.
Exactly. And that's kind of a big white elephant in the room.

The Triangle has grown in a way that is unsustainable for the " low-stress lifestyle" so many people say they more here for. Less commuting, lower COL, larger/newer house with yard etc. etc. etc.

Those who own houses in good school districts and with a reasonable commute to work/amenities are sitting pretty now for sure; 10 years down the road their house will be worth a lot more if the economy holds up. First time buyers? They'll largely be priced out and maybe looking at other metro areas with more affordable housing and a less stressful lifestyle.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:13 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

Looking at the path of the Durham-Chapel Hill light rail system -- which will not include Raleigh, and will likely be built before Wake/Raleigh even start, the way things are going -- it connects downtown Durham, Duke, and UNC Hospital, while passing through the old South Square Mall area and a bunch of undeveloped land along the 15-501 and Fearrington Rd. areas.

The purpose in our case is to add high-density housing through upzoning right around the rail sites. Add new housing in Durham and Chapel Hill, connected to three of the four major work centers in the western part of the Triangle.

Every family that occupies one of those units isn't a family buying a suburban house in North Raleigh -- or Hillsborough, Mebane, Pittsboro, etc. -- and clogging up the highways with a commute.

More to the point, given how much land in Durham County in particular can never be developed in order to maintain Raleigh's drinking water quality, this gives our community a chance to get a fair share of the region's economic growth.

By the way, a very similar development model was used in Salt Lake City with their transit system, with great success.

So keep in mind, the folks who already live in suburban areas here are not the targets for all of the transit planning.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:42 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I'll throw my two cents in, even though I haven't read through all the responses yet. I moved here in 2006 from NOVA, and don't regret it at all. That said, I also don't feel an overwhelming desire to live here for another 8 years. There's actually a fairly good chance I'll wind up moving within the next year, but will likely keep my Cary house as a rental and investment. I'm kind of excited about the prospect of learning a new area, meeting new people, etc. So, maybe I'll be more of a vagabond in the coming years after spending 32 years in just two places.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:47 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,937,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
...how many others have similar feelings
And how he arrived at 3%:
48% of the bottom 32% of those that hate it here feel that 20% of the time they wished they moved somewhere else.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:22 PM

191 posts, read 275,853 times
"Love it or leave it"... but don't utter a word about improving it! We've been here 10+ years and now just holding out 2.76 years until the last youngin' gadiates from hi skool in Wake (no dead) county pub1c schools LOL :-). At that time, please don't get between us and I-40 W if you don't want run over ;-)... Between my wife and me we've lived in 15 states and 4 countries and this is without doubt the worst place either of us has ever had the misfortune of calling home.

We're absolutely aghast at all those w/ UNC degree holders we know here, but so few w/ educations. Then we discovered that 83+% of them were in-staters and, by statute, needed but a heartbeat and a prayer to be accepted.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad99 View Post
"Love it or leave it"... but don't utter a word about improving it! We've been here 10+ years and now just holding out 2.76 years until the last youngin' gadiates from hi skool in Wake (no dead) county pub1c schools LOL :-). At that time, please don't get between us and I-40 W if you don't want run over ;-)... Between my wife and me we've lived in 15 states and 4 countries and this is without doubt the worst place either of us has ever had the misfortune of calling home.

We're absolutely aghast at all those w/ UNC degree holders we know here, but so few w/ educations. Then we discovered that 83+% of them were in-staters and, by statute, needed but a heartbeat and a prayer to be accepted.
Actually, it's harder to get in to UNC if you are a citizen of NC.

Nobody has issues with people wanting to make improvements. It's more about the whiny people who want to turn the place into some other place they liked but could not afford.

But, whatever.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:29 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Actually, it's harder to get in to UNC if you are a citizen of NC.....
Quite the opposite. It is Much easier if you are an NC resident.

From the UNC website:
Class Profile | University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill | Office of Undergraduate Admissions

8,930 admitted (29% of all students applying; 53% of NC applicants; 18% of out-of-state applicants)

Old 10-07-2014, 10:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Quite the opposite. It is Much easier if you are an NC resident.

From the UNC website:
Class Profile | University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill | Office of Undergraduate Admissions

8,930 admitted (29% of all students applying; 53% of NC applicants; 18% of out-of-state applicants)
I know UNC (and all other state universities all over the country) admit more people from that state. In this case, more from NC. They also have a larger percentage of applicants from their home state.

So, in essence, it is more difficult to get into UNC (from the individual student's perspective, anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary