Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 02:06 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times

Advertisements

I see more authentic interaction between white and black citizens in North Carolina than Atlanta.

In Atlanta the onus lies with the black majority. I don't experience as much automatic pleasantries or courteousness like, say in a grocery store. There's more avoidance unless spoken to.

I'll never forget one Sunday morning driving on Oberlin Rd. and witnessing a black crossing guard and white church-goers asking about each other's families.

Human beings interacting with human beings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 PM

810 posts, read 667,681 times
I don't regret moving to the Triangle but am extremely bored with Wake Forest. Google Fiber doesn't want any either.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:26 AM

265 posts, read 270,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I see more authentic interaction between white and black citizens in North Carolina than Atlanta.

In Atlanta the onus lies with the black majority. I don't experience as much automatic pleasantries or courteousness like, say in a grocery store. There's more avoidance unless spoken to.

I'll never forget one Sunday morning driving on Oberlin Rd. and witnessing a black crossing guard and white church-goers asking about each other's families.

Human beings interacting with human beings.
You'll never forget this? It's a pretty common instance all over the world. It's sad that this normal interaction sticks out to you in any way.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:49 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
You'll never forget this? It's a pretty common instance all over the world. It's sad that this normal interaction sticks out to you in any way.
I think it's more sad that this isn't necessarily a normal interaction in many places. The black/white avoidance & "tension" is way more evident to me in Miami than it is in Raleigh. Since I go back and forth between the two cities, I have a lot of opportunity to juxtapose the cultures between them and the racial interactions is one that sticks out to me. In general, the people and general culture in Raleigh stands out to me as one of the city's advantages. Is it perfect in Raleigh? No. Is it better in Raleigh? It is in my experience.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:10 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
I think this is pretty uncommon in many areas of the US, not just Raleigh. Even in Boston where I grew up - a supposedly diverse area, lots of races self-segregate.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I think this kind of interaction is more common because of desegregation in the South. When you go to school with a lot of different kinds of people you are more comfortable talking to all sorts of folks. Re-segregation under the guise of the "neighborhood schools" movement is a damn shame, IMO.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:05 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,453 times
In my neighborhood, we are diverse and get along well.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:09 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think this kind of interaction is more common because of desegregation in the South. When you go to school with a lot of different kinds of people you are more comfortable talking to all sorts of folks. Re-segregation under the guise of the "neighborhood schools" movement is a damn shame, IMO.
i see that more as an issue of economic segregation than racial but the two are linked

Old 02-21-2017, 07:57 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times
This guy will
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ly-boring.html

Old 02-21-2017, 10:02 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think it's more sad that this isn't necessarily a normal interaction in many places. The black/white avoidance & "tension" is way more evident to me in Miami than it is in Raleigh. Since I go back and forth between the two cities, I have a lot of opportunity to juxtapose the cultures between them and the racial interactions is one that sticks out to me. In general, the people and general culture in Raleigh stands out to me as one of the city's advantages. Is it perfect in Raleigh? No. Is it better in Raleigh? It is in my experience.
OK, you all reading too much into this.

Perhaps I should have said, "An example that comes to mind is..."

And to elaborate about that Sunday morning, I witnessed the exchange because the crossing guard had stopped traffic starting with me for the church-goers to cross the street.

That moment doesn't lend itself to engaging in polite conversation, but because both parties did ask about each other's families in hurried situation (crossing a busy street) that's why it's memorable to me.

North Carolina is very well integrated on a genuine level.

My rural public schools in Franklin County were 70% black, and everybody's circles of friends included both races.

A black woman essentially raised me while my mother worked until I started school.

My father and I took grocery bags of food from our garden to her and her family for the next 25 years.

My father and I were the also only two white people at her funeral in the late '80s.

If you ask me the real difference in how people act is RURAL versus URBAN.

North Carolina is still very rural in nature, and small-town folksl treat each other as equals by default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary