Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 11:53 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,047 times

Advertisements

I don't think it so much the GPS coordinates of a place that makes one happy, it's the people/family around that makes for happiness/unhappiness. I would rather live in Podunk Arkansas if it's where all my family and friends live, versus the most dynamic, beautiful, best-climate, best-rated, fastest growing city in the world - - where I know no one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 04:24 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
These threads ("regret/don't regret") are actually very useful for people considering a move to the area. I don't see any reason to call the OP a whiner or tell her to move, for her feelings are honest and her own & I imagine she knows her options. The positive and negative threads present a more balanced view of an area, and for this I am very grateful that city-data is a free service.
Of course. It is great that the OP felt free to post the thread, and has not been criticized for that in any way!

CD is great!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:30 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
These threads ("regret/don't regret") are actually very useful for people considering a move to the area. I don't see any reason to call the OP a whiner or tell her to move, for her feelings are honest and her own & I imagine she knows her options. The positive and negative threads present a more balanced view of an area, and for this I am very grateful that city-data is a free service.
I don't feel the same way. If the person outlines why they don't like something rather then "it's in the middle of no where" I might agree. But that's silly, move to Sioux City and tell me Raleigh is in the middle of nowhere. If you read the original post they said "though it's going to be challenge to figure out where to go!" - so they don't know what's going to make them happy. They may move somewhere and end up in the same situation. I would rather hear something solid about why they don't like it, - not enough sky scrapers, needs more hills or at least good pizza rather than a vague we don't know what we like but this isn't it. There's TONS of those posts.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:09 PM

10 posts, read 37,519 times
Default Reflection not regret

I understand your sentiment, having grown up on Long Island, I am often asked: "what in the world are you doing in NC?" I also agree that negative feedback is really not productive for anyone. NY will always be home for me; unfortunately, it is also one of the most expensive places in the country to live in. While you cannot compare the two, I have found that while I find lots not to love about the Triangle area--it is really about using your experiences and then carefully planning where to go next. I do not intend to stay here forever but what I will do is carefully investigate the next area I do settle into.

I hope that you find your next destination all that you want it to be--don't beat yourself about it though. Regrets are most useful when they are viewed within the context of self-reflection.

Best of luck to you!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,093 times
Quote:
Regrets are most useful when they are viewed within the context of self-reflection.

Love it....I must use.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:24 PM

596 posts, read 1,240,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
Ajnucch, I feel your pain. We've been here for just under a year and have plans on moving back. Fortunately, we rented, so we're not faced with having to sell a home and losing our shirts in the process. My feelings about the whole thing? Hard to say. I feel foolish, screaming about how much I wanted out of the area I moved from, only to miss it as soon as I arrived here. No friends/family at all to speak of here. Financially? Not bad, I have a pension and savings, but it's of little consolation when you miss home. I had some reservations prior to moving here. I thought the seasons would be great (and they're not bad), but the winter is what did it in for me. It's neat when the holidays arrive, but after that, it's cold, dead, and brown. For months. And gray. For months. I almost fell into a state of depression. From Florida, where I lived since I was a boy, I remember it green and for the most part, lush, year around. The winters were fabulous!!!! Chilly on some days, crisp nights, and warm sunshine during the day to warm things up. It stunk around Christmas time, only because of visions of snow and evergreen trees Christmas Eve displayed in store fronts and holiday cards. Let me tell you, those thoughts quickly vanished after the holidays were over and I was freezing my butt off. Ice on the roadways, slipping on ice to get my newspaper, hands and fingertips splitting open over and over again because it was so cold and dry, no matter how much hand lotion I put on (walking around with greasy hands and fingers is ridiculous). Wearing sweat pants inside the home to keep warm when I was longing to instead wear my shorts, t shirts, and sandals. My poor wife. I put her through hell, telling her how much I regretted moving here. She feels responsible, but it's mostly on me. Thank God she has stood by me, otherwise, I'd be a mess more so than I was then. I will say this place is prettier because the development isn't as much as it is in Florida, but I'm more of a city person, wanting the things I'm used to and the conveniences. It's tough when your friends are hours away rather than minutes. It's tough when your family wants to see you, but they don't want to drive 10 hours one way, and neither do I; gas is expensive and the trips are long. I never realized how much I would miss my home, with all its zits and imperfections, it's still home. This place isn't the greatest, either, but it's not home. I've come to realize I need my comfort zone, and it's Florida. My work contacts are there and I feel I'll be successful in finding work. My kids are looking forward to moving back home and being near their grandparents and old friends. My wife will be finishing school soon, and she should do well in the job hunt. We'll be getting out of the state tax racket here in NC (not that Florida is the cheapest place to live, but we know what to expect), so that will help with our income situation.

Bottom line, I feel nervous moving back. I'll have to deal with the "why did you move back?!" questions, but oh well. Some will poke fun and have their way with me for a while, but it's my life to live and I'll live it the way I choose. Will everything be perfect and all my problems fixed moving back? No way, but it's comforting to know I'll be around friends and family if I stumble, they've already assured me that. I'll be around familiar territory, an area I've known for over 20 years, and that comforts me. I wish you luck in your decision. I wouldn't view it as one poster said as "bouncing around," but if it works for you, go with what you feel is best. Good luck again.
Thanks bud, I relate to the cold and sweatpants in the house in the winter, having lived in So Florida longer than being born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. I guess I didn't do enough research, but then again having Not lived in colder climates for such a long time I thought it would be a welcome change, NOT. I love the Spring & Fall most of all in NC.
As far as the moving back to Florida thing if we go though it, it will be our 3rd time moving back to Florida! Talk about the need to be happy ! LOL
I wish you the Best Of Luck as well !!!

Old 07-24-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
I loved it here when we first moved up from Florida 14 years ago, but lately the state government seems to have gone batguano insane. I came here to escape a state that was the laughingstock of the nation, but it looks like NC is heading in the same direction.
I agree with you ! One of my biggest pet peeves is the "Property Tax on automobiles" I mean really? The roads are in need of repair, poor lighting and signage, God forbid a tire goes off the pavement, due to the lack of shoulders in some places. Don't get the Tax on Vechicles, I thought thats what vechicle registration was for ??? Good Luck !

Old 07-24-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
I don't feel the same way. If the person outlines why they don't like something rather then "it's in the middle of no where" I might agree. But that's silly, move to Sioux City and tell me Raleigh is in the middle of nowhere. If you read the original post they said "though it's going to be challenge to figure out where to go!" - so they don't know what's going to make them happy. They may move somewhere and end up in the same situation. I would rather hear something solid about why they don't like it, - not enough sky scrapers, needs more hills or at least good pizza rather than a vague we don't know what we like but this isn't it. There's TONS of those posts.
OK, I am the person that made this original post, if it helps you understand why I said what I said, here is one reason, to help justify my one of several regrets, in "MY OPINION" it lacks the feel of a big city, especially given the fact its the state capital! Again, before you beat me up for giving my opinion, it's what or where a person is raised as to what a big city is like, and for me it was NYC, thats all I am saying...

Old 07-24-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if you're a Big City person, this isn't a Big City.

If you have regional needs (read: food, stores) then we may be in a different region - shock!

If you need public transportation, we don't have it.

If your hours are as much after midnight as 9-5, this joint ain't for you.

If you believe the news stories about this being some magical place where all your ills are cured and a higher-paying job await - stay put.

It's not a regret, it's not a bash. it's understanding who YOU are and what YOU WANT or NEED. And there are wants and needs that many people will NOT GET.

I'm a native of the Triangle and have lived here 40 years+. This is HOME to me. Wherever your HOME is will always be your HOME. If you're a nomadic person that when asked "where are your from?" answers the last place they lived, not necessarily the 1 place they lived for 75% of their life, then you can enjoy living here.

I knew at age 17 that NYC would be a fantastic place to visit, but hell if I'd ever want to live in THAT. Your opinion may vary, and that's OK.
Well said, and you are only 17 ? I am impressed !

Old 07-24-2013, 02:48 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
Well said, and you are only 17 ? I am impressed !
Psst...your math is a bit off. He's been here for 40+ years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary