Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:14 AM

4 posts, read 7,521 times

Advertisements

the govnmt will not help. i have contacted several agencies in wake cty. if they have done this maliciously, or changed the natural flow of water, it is a legal case. check nolo law and findlaw. wake cty does not enforce these rules, although they are on the books....check the wake cty govt runoff, environmental...they were of no help.
if you find a good atty on this problem let me know, b/c i have the same problem, except my neighbors dug up the road over a foot and dug a ditch to flood me out. i have never been flooded in 12 yrs until they did this 5 times in the past yr. my road as washed out, and my storage unit has flooded, see my thread under eview.
let me know if you have gotten any solutions. i contacted the assistant wakt cty atty, no help. wake cty does not want to help or get involved, no will they help or return phone calls...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 08:31 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocharoman View Post
Water flows downhill. I spent about 8x what you spent to handle the drainage issues on my property. Dont mess with berms and trying to do half baked solutions. You need a full drainage plan designed by someone who understands how to fix the problem. I used a landscape architect and very happy with the outcome. About 5 or 6 houses worth of runoff come through my yard. There was no master plan when my subdivision was built to handle the water. It now flows underground and on the surface in a controlled way.
Yep...you need a good French drain. A big ditch in your yard with gravel, then a special drain pipe that will take water in from every direction, then run it out to the municipal storm drain. Then more gravel on top...you can leave the gravel as a 'path' through the yard or cover it up with grass.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 7,521 times
thanks for the suggestion, but it is still against the law, to grade, dig ditches or slant the road to change the natural flow of water, which is what my neighbors have done. they are responsible for handling the flow of water on their property and can not divert it to a neighbor's and flood their property. they have graded the road as well as dug ditches and dug up over a foot of gravel and dirt at the entrance to my property so that water will flow from their property on to mine. they also can not leave a ditch bare, which with out anything to stop the debris, etc. from flowing onto my property, per wake county. they have done over 15k worth of damage and now my well might be contaminated. according to wake county, they are responsible for handling the flow of water on their right of way and can not divert it onto another property, which they have done.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Get a lawyer.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:54 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,590,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eview View Post
... it is still against the law, to grade, dig ditches or slant the road to change the natural flow of water ...
A major home builder is developing the land adjacent to our subdivision. They have openly stated the intention to grade their parcel to change the natural flow of stormwater runoff. We don't want them to do this. Please provide specific information about this law. That might help us at an upcoming public hearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary