Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 06:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times

Advertisements

Pancakes: Elmo's Diner (Carrboro and Durham).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 06:52 PM

423 posts, read 1,095,011 times
OP-is there a La Spada's in Gainesville now? Are they also mean to you? I frequented the one in Fort Lauderdale while in HS (a very, very long time ago).

Old 07-14-2013, 07:45 PM

107 posts, read 166,840 times
No laspada's in Gainesville unfortunately - I'm originally from SoFla and frequented the Coral Springs and Davie locations...they've made their way up to Boca now

Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Welcome to Morrisville (soon), it's a great town!

Not sure if these will work for you but they are on my list to try soon. Tacos Esmeralda'sfood truck is parked Monday to Friday in Morrisville outside of Twin Lakeson McCrimmon Pkwy. They seem to have a very loyal following but I do notbelieve they have arepas.

Taco's Esmerelda - Morrisville, NC

I have had trouble finding fresh Gnocchi here. I prefer to buy fresh gnocchi andmake my own sauce, I don't like that kind that sits on the store shelf for months. You said you like to eat but did not mention if you alsoliked to cook. If you do, this is not a restaurantbut I have noticed that Melina's Fresh Pasta sells Gnocchi. They can bebought at the Western Wake Farmer's market held at Carpenter Village (close toMorrisville).

Melina's Fresh Pasta

I know that you had a specific list but since you enjoy good food and willbe moving to Morrisville I wanted to suggest two restaurants that are local andworth a visit; Smokey’s BBQ Shack and Neomonde (Mediterranean) - both are great. Happy eating!

Old 07-14-2013, 09:09 PM

826 posts, read 1,933,097 times
JK - Weinberg's does serve tongue! It's an option on their sandwich menu. Not a New Yorker but liked their sandwiches. Went for breakfast once and the waitress wanted to make sure that my husband knew that lox was a lot saltier than Nova smoked salmon.

Have also liked the vibe of Big City Bagels (which is in North Raleigh and still far from OP for a regular hangout) and there are a lot of NY people that go there. But just noticed on Yelp that it's under new ownership and things may have changed. We haven't been in a while so I guess I can't comment on that anymore.

Your location is not bad to get to Raleigh, Durham and Cary for your food fixes, which you will probably need to do for what you are asking for. On the bright side, all the good ethnic food is nearby!

In case you haven't seen this thread from before, it lists most (if not all) of the locally owned Cary restaurants. Looks like adlnc might be able to give you some good Morrisville tips too. //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...staurants.html

Check out Poppyseed Market in North Raleigh - again a little further away from you but a good array of subs and deli sandwiches and there is some chicken parm on the menu as well.

Gravy, in downtown Raleigh, consistently gets pretty good reviews for food. They also have chicken parm and gnocchi on the menu although I will also attest that Melina's gnocchi, as noted by Sal_M, is quite good!

For Latin - Durham will be a good place to find a lot of that, as well as the Capitol Blvd area in Raleigh. Balcazar Bakery is a Columbian bakery, there are some other Salvadorean eats over in that area as well, as well as a bunch of Mexican places. Don't know about arepas though outside of Guasaca (and buku, which tries hard but not in the same league). Downtown Raleigh also has Oakwood Cafe, which has Argentinian food. I also really like Macchu Picchu for Peruvian food over on Old Wake Forest Rd as well as my favorite Peruvian Rotisserie chicken from Mami Nora's on (regular) Wake Forest Rd.

You may also like this book as a baseline: Food Lovers' Guide to Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill: The Best Restaurants, Markets & Local Culinary Offerings (Food Lovers' Series): Johanna Kramer: 9780762779765: Amazon.com: Books

IndyWeek also puts out an annual food issue that is pretty comprehensive. And the food blogging scene goes through fits and spurts but there are some good ones out there that stay updated. And ones that stay on top of the food truck scene. Lots to explore in all different food genres. I predict your weekends will be busy travelling to Durham and Raleigh to try things out...and of course, it goes without saying that if you find your go-tos, you should post back and share!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary