Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 01:17 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,104 times

Advertisements

Just heard it on the news that there is going to be a hearing on new construction in that area. Where exactly is that area?

Isn't that the old food lion, the crappy movie theater, the dollar store and the steinmart, with new mexican place and chinese place? I wonder what the proposal is for that new development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 05:21 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,189 times
95-Acre Retail, Residential Development Proposed for Morrisville :: WRAL.com

Old 11-08-2007, 07:05 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,133 times
The intersections of 54/Cary Parkway and 54/Aviation Parkway are among the worst in the area NOW, for pete's sake! The crazy thing is that you just know that everything that will end up there will just be duplicates of what we just got at Brier Creek and are now opening up at Beaver Creek. Can't people in that area drive 10 minutes in either direction to get a burrito or see a movie?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:13 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
Trying to determine which corner could hold a 95-acre development?

One corner houses a CVS, Capitol Bank, a vet's facility -- but next-door to the small complex, land has been For Sale for the past two years that I've lived in the general area. The other corner, catty-cornered from the CVS, is the shopping center jinxor mentioned, with the Food Lion and the theater, where the new SteinMart and Chinese restaurant have opened.

That leaves the corner(s) across from each of these, and where such a development might go, is going to create traffic problems, regardless. Try making it down Hwy 54 towards the CVS any day of the work week, beginning around 4:00-4:30 p.m., until about 7:00.

Cary Parkway narrows down to two lanes towards Harrison, and 54 is only two lanes, in either direction -- towards Aviation Parkway, at one end, or Maynard at the other. There are already turn lanes at specific intersections along the way, and traffic still bottle-necks.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:21 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,408 times
The article I read mentioned that they would be tearing down the "Bristol-Meyers Squibb" building, which has been empty for two years. If I'm not mistaken, that means it's here...
cary, nc - Google Maps

Old 11-08-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
The intersections of 54/Cary Parkway and 54/Aviation Parkway are among the worst in the area NOW, for pete's sake! The crazy thing is that you just know that everything that will end up there will just be duplicates of what we just got at Brier Creek and are now opening up at Beaver Creek. Can't people in that area drive 10 minutes in either direction to get a burrito or see a movie?
The advantage of having retail developments like this spread out is so that people DON'T have to drive long distances to get a burrito or see a movie. That REDUCES traffic overall.

The other option is to put all your retail in one location. That's been done before, and it's the mess called Crossroads.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:26 PM

13 posts, read 63,914 times
no way! i avoid that intersection as much as possible as it is and they're going to make it WORSE?!?! ack!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-08-2007 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: signature removal

Old 11-08-2007, 03:45 PM

4 posts, read 18,263 times
I'm having trouble reconciling two statements in the article from WRAL:
"Traffic studies showed the development would generate more than 20,000 car trips a day"
"Results of study indicate the level of service, amount of delay at the different intersections would be similar to what it is today,” planning Director Ben Hitchings said."

If we assume that both statements are true, then help me with the math that the planning directors comments would require:

x + 20,000 new car trips = x
where x = existing traffic

I'm an engineer, but I can't solve that equation ...

Old 11-08-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeNorthCaro View Post
I'm having trouble reconciling two statements in the article from WRAL:
"Traffic studies showed the development would generate more than 20,000 car trips a day"
"Results of study indicate the level of service, amount of delay at the different intersections would be similar to what it is today,” planning Director Ben Hitchings said."

If we assume that both statements are true, then help me with the math that the planning directors comments would require:

x + 20,000 new car trips = x
where x = existing traffic

I'm an engineer, but I can't solve that equation ...
That equation is accurate if x == infinity (which is nearly the case!).

Also, note that he said "similar". That implies that if traffic is horribly congested now, it will be similar to that when this development goes in.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:52 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
OK, I checked-out the map of the general area, and even if the Bristol-Meyers-Squibb building sits back from the road, we are still talking major traffic headaches, unless everyone avoids NW Cary Parkway and Hwy 54 from about 4:00 - 7:00 p.m., daily.

Go sit at the intersections of Hwy 54 and Morrisville Parkway, or Hwy 54 and Aviation Parkway, or any where along the route of Hwy 54, in that general area, and tell me what you think. Adding turn lanes is just NOT going "to get it."

What bb thinks this is feasible, again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary