Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 4,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
I moved from the area you are in and I love the weather. I love that we have sunshine most of the time. It does take a little getting used to as far as dealing with the heat and humidity. Once I got used to it, it was fine. I'll take this weather over the snow and cold! When I go back to Roc for a visit, most of the time I'm cold. So I guess I'm adjusted now.
Yes I know the feeling of cold. The winter tends to drag on and on, even worse with the lack of sunshine. Hard decisions lay ahead. So from what I have read 7 mos of really nice weather with about 5 mos one needs to adjust to the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 08:39 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
If you consider the entire year, I am sure that Raleigh has more comfortable days than Rochester. You tend to take it easy during the heat of the summer, but the rest of the year you can be more active. At least during the worst time of the year in the Raleigh area you can be wearing shorts and sandals!

Sitting in the shade of a big tree is almost always pleasant. It is the combination of direct sun and humidity that most find exhausting.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:59 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I always question whether people ever really do "get used to" a specific type of weather or weather some people are just wired as cold-weather or warm-weather folks. I grew up in Pennsylvania - lived there for 18 years, but I never got used to winter. My body never tolerated cold well. I didn't have to get used to NC weather - the weather here fits me much better.

Others can tolerate cold much better and probably couldn't get used to the summer heat here. Are there ways for them to put up with it? Yes, there's shade, there's adjusting your schedule so you only go out in mornings and evenings, there's air conditioning, staying inside more during the hottest days of summer, traveling more in summer, etc.

You probably know what type of temperature person you are. What is your thermostat set at in summer? In winter? What is your most desirable temps? Our thermostat in summer is at 77-78. Any lower than that and I am too cold. So my perfect temperature is probably a lot warmer than many others' (my friend keeps her at 72, for example), which is why I don't find it hard to live here, temperature-wise. Are you generally a warm-weather friend or cold-weather friend?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:39 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
I came here from Binghamton. I did grow up here so I knew what to expect. It does get hot and humid in Binghamton, off and on. THere were also damp chilly summers that never really did warm up....Here you are guaranteed to have hot, humid, uncomfortable days. But we all have AC...so I plan accordingly. I might feel stuck indoors more in July/August, but I feel less stuck indoors October-April, so IMHO it is worth the trade off.

Love it!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:34 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I always question whether people ever really do "get used to" a specific type of weather or weather some people are just wired as cold-weather or warm-weather folks.
*whether* duh. Guess I had "weather" on my mind.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:00 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,092 times
I'm from up north and we have Spring here just like up North, they call it February here though.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:37 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Biggest surprise for me when we relocated six years ago was how quickly I adapted to the summer heat. It's intense at times but everywhere is air conditioned and most activities are scheduled early or late in the day to avoid the worst of it. Plus it's measurably cheaper for me to cool my house than to heat it so I'm partial to the summer weather nowadays.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:49 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc-Nc View Post
We have visited the area many times enjoying what we have seen. If a final decision is made on moving, this would take effect in October. Our inquiry is the heat / humidity. Has anyone moved from Upstate Ny/ WNY / Roc. Is the listed weather conditions really hard too get used too , do you get used too it? Was the change to hard to get used too?
The only way to nkow whether you can handle it is to come and visit in the height of summer. This week is brutal, for example, and it's not into the 90s yet. October weather is probably the most gorgeous time of year in NC, so if you move then, you might believe it's always "gorgeous".

Old 07-16-2013, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 782 times
Looking to relocate from Endicott NY.The weather is one factor in my decision to move.It's hot and humid here right now and doesn't bother me.Looking forward to mild winters.My family and I will be coming down soon for a visit.I have a neice that's been in Raleigh for a year and a half and loves it.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
hibernating inside during July and August is better than hibernating in December and January and February and March and April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary