Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 07:20 PM

843 posts, read 2,100,794 times

Advertisements

Today:

It was 96 with 49% humidity in Raleigh

It was 95 with 56% humidity in Morristown, NJ

The only real difference is the heat may last longer here before a break. A few years ago we had 91 days OVER 90 in the year. Last year we had 6 days in a row over 100 in June. At the same time it was 106 in NJ..... This year its only been over 90 maybe 4-5 times....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 07:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
Today:

It was 96 with 49% humidity in Raleigh

It was 95 with 56% humidity in Morristown, NJ
And yet the dew point was still higher in Raleigh than in Morristown (68 at 16:51 in RDU vs. 66 at 16:45 in KMMU).

Old 07-17-2013, 10:08 AM

11 posts, read 14,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
hibernating inside during July and August is better than hibernating in December and January and February and March and April.
Sir, you stand too be corrected-you forgot November

Old 07-17-2013, 10:21 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-48 View Post
Sir, you stand too be corrected-you forgot November
Even the occasional Halloween snow storm .

Old 07-17-2013, 04:51 PM

11 posts, read 14,034 times
You have a good memory. Sometimes it has been bone chilling cold from Oct thru March. Then just cold until June.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:05 PM

120 posts, read 248,666 times
I've lived in the midwest most of my life and have only been here about 6 months but I'll throw out my opinion anyway. I've lived in the eastern half of the midwest and the winters there are terrible. They are perhaps not as cold as winters further north and west, but there is a consistent horrible flat greyness to the clouds that lasts for days on end, with an occasional break for some cold, clear days. This is probably similar to the weather in upstate NY based on what I've heard. I've also lived further west towards the great plains and the winters are a bit clearer there but also colder with a constant biting wind. Winter here was not bad at all. It was often clear. I could go for a jog on most days when it wasn't raining. On many days you could sit in the sun and be comfortable and I never needed the huge winter coat that I'm used to wearing. Apparently this March was the 2nd coldest March on record here. It felt about like a normal-to-good March in the midwest.

So far summer has been surprisingly rainy but we are also having record breaking rains so it's hard to compare it fairly. The only difference I've noticed in summer so far is that you never really have a nice cold front come through, clear out the humidity and drop the temperatures into the mid 70s. In the midwest you'd get those occasionally and they're a nice break from the heat and humidity. Here the coolest it's been on the cooler (and non-rainy) days is the low 80s which are not bad but not quite the same.

I'm a numbers person so I studied long and hard the climate differences and if I had to boil it down to one sentence, it would be this: in the summer it is 4 degrees warmer here on average, in the winter it is 20 degrees warmer here on average. I'll take that trade!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:25 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc-Nc View Post
We have visited the area many times enjoying what we have seen. If a final decision is made on moving, this would take effect in October. Our inquiry is the heat / humidity. Has anyone moved from Upstate Ny/ WNY / Roc. Is the listed weather conditions really hard too get used too , do you get used too it? Was the change to hard to get used too?
One other thing to consider, in my case I never intend to pick up a snow shovel again. Which is nice, however, I now mow my lawn early March to mid November.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
One other thing to consider, in my case I never intend to pick up a snow shovel again. Which is nice, however, I now mow my lawn early March to mid November.

Hence a reason to get into a community with a collective HOA that takes care of that for you. Yes I know it is sometimes fun to sit on that John Deere with a cold beer on a hot day. Then you have to drive under that apple tree branch and ouch the scratches .

Old 07-18-2013, 08:54 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Hence a reason to get into a community with a collective HOA that takes care of that for you. Yes I know it is sometimes fun to sit on that John Deere with a cold beer on a hot day. Then you have to drive under that apple tree branch and ouch the scratches .
Holy S...Are you watching me?

Old 07-18-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Holy S...Are you watching me?

Nope, I just got the same crap at home. Two apple , one saturn peach, one peach, two plum, one asian pear and right angle cuts in my lawn so that when I get to a corner I have to ride the edge oddly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary