Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:55 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times

Advertisements

Here are my concerns about kindergarten kids and the school cafeteria: My 2nd child just started kindergarten. Both of my kids have been through the same situation. It seems the teacher and assistant dump the kids off and then go on their break. The kids are left to their own devices to get their own lunch, pay, etc. It takes most of these kids weeks to learn their long school assigned number. I'd prefer my kids get the basic $2 lunch, and everything it includes, and not buy a bunch of "extras". The kids don't know what items are included in the basic lunch, and apparently there's no one there to explain it to them. I found out when my 1st child when to kindergarten, that the kids are left on their own at lunch time. They are asking the parents to come in for the first coupe of weeks, and "volunteer" at lunch time. My wife did this for our older child about a week into his kindergarten career. And even the parents, were not told how the cafeteria works, or had anything explained to them. The teachers passed the kids off and left. Is this the norm at all Wake County schools? Why is it not the responsibility of the teachers, or someone, to explain how the cafeteria works, to 4 and 5 year olds? There are a lot of options in the "buffet" line, and it's confusing to the kids, and also a lot of responsibility to trust a kid to not buy stuff that's not included. I sent money in an envelope, as asked to do, for my kindergarten kid today, to put into their "account" I found out after school that they handed it to her, and sent her with it to the cafeteria! Why? I packed her lunch. I assumed an ADULT would be handling an envelope with a lot of cash in it, as I was instructed to sent it to the teacher! And they gave it to a 4 year old and told her to take it to the cafeteria? Looks like my kids will be bringing packed lunches a lot more. I'm happy with the school, but I feel this laissez-faire attitude about kindergarten kids and the cafeteria is simply unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 PM

285 posts, read 492,906 times
In my experience, this seems strange, especially at the beginning of the school year. I don't teach in Wake County, but in my school, teaching assistants always supervise the children in the cafeteria. At the beginning of the year, teachers accompany the class too, until the students are settled in and know all of the routines. As for the envelope of money for your child's lunch account, that would normally be sent to the cafeteria in the morning, along with the day's lunch count.

I would recommend asking the teacher to explain the procedures at Parent Night or in the class newsletter.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:46 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
I have volunteered before at the beginning of the year to help the kindergarten kids handle the lunchroom.
It was confusing to me as an adult !!

I have no idea why they can't do a simple main dish & sides plate & dessert & milk like in the old days..

They have to pick each thing they want and some items are main & others sides..
If they get "this"..they have to get "that", because "this" goes with "that"..
They can load up on snacks & junk & dessert and it's allowed just fine..

Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I have no idea why they can't do a simple main dish & sides plate & dessert & milk like in the old days..
Seriously. My old days were not that long ago and that's how it was. I don't recall any extras that one could buy in the elementary school cafeteria.

OP, I would complain to the principal and go from there. It does seem absurd that children that young would be left unsupervised.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:42 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
The school I taught at was Wake CO. The kindergarten TAs were there to help the kids through the line-some stayed to attend the kids and if not, others were on duty to do so. I can't believe they'd expect a kindergartener to know what to do. the lunch system is confusing since they have choices but only a certain amount or item from each category can go with a lunch-where I taught before, all kids got the same served to them on a tray!
Where I taught previously, all teachers were expected to help all kids through the lunch line with their lunch number etc- at least through 3rd grade.

I am also surprised that kids here are allowed to buy "junk". I'd never seen that before. they can buy cookies, chips, and ice cream so parents have to send in a lot more than the 2.00/day if kids are adding these to their tray.

Have you talked to the teacher or an administrator.
It just doesnt seem right.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:54 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
When you add money to your child's account, you can specify that they are not allowed to purchase snack food with money out of their lunch account.

If you want to let them have a treat now and then? Send some pocket change with them so they can purchase a snack with cash.

Also? Never been to a school in Wake Co where little kids were not helped through the line. Odd.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:59 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
our school...the teachers help the little ones all year long...they ask them what they want that is part of the meal and dish it out....all year.
they also eat in the cafe with them.
you can block your child's account from taking extras. you can also put a weekly dollar limit....or " snack on Friday only". Talk to theschool....you will get more satisfaction than complaining here.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:16 AM

494 posts, read 815,864 times
In Wake County, teachers eat with their class the first week of school. In every elementary school that I have been in kindergarten and first grade students are served lunch usually by those on duty for that time. An adult will ask them what main dish and sides they'd like. Usually the little ones have lunch tags to take along with them until they learn their numbers. I believe lunch accounts can have money added online. Otherwise the student adds money to the account in the mornings by walking down to the cafeteria.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:20 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
I remember the first elementary school I went to didn't even have a cafeteria. The lunch lady came to the classroom with her lunch cart and you got to choose lunch A or lunch B. I think they had Kosher lunches for the Jewish kids, too. We would push our desks together, eat lunch, then clean up the classroom when we were done. Sometimes I wonder if maybe that system wasn't easier from an administrative standpoint.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:03 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeckster View Post
In Wake County, teachers eat with their class the first week of school. In every elementary school that I have been in kindergarten and first grade students are served lunch usually by those on duty for that time. An adult will ask them what main dish and sides they'd like. Usually the little ones have lunch tags to take along with them until they learn their numbers. I believe lunch accounts can have money added online. Otherwise the student adds money to the account in the mornings by walking down to the cafeteria.
I don't know where you got this info, but in Wake County, each building makes it's own decisions. In my building, TAs supervised lunch each day. the kids were not sent in alone like the OP described.

And yes, if you bring in lunch money, they will send the child to the caf to drop it off. Your child will get to know his/her way around school.

You need to go in to the school and observe this process for yourself, then share any remaining concerns with the principal. That is their JOB! and they are not psychic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary