Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 05:19 PM

120 posts, read 253,865 times

Advertisements

Daniel's and Bella Monica are both decent, but I would encourage you to try Nina's in Raleigh. ~:: Nina's Ristorante ::~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 06:01 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
What's the opinion on Lubrano's and Georgina's, both in Morrisville?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:38 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Honestly, I have not found good Italian around Cary. Daniels is not good, and I'm being very gracious here. Georgina's is a slight step above, but not much.

I did have some pasta downtown at Cafe Luna? Pretty good.
Good wood fired Pizza at that place at the Arboretum, can't remember the name.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:46 PM

294 posts, read 829,049 times
Mamma Mia's and Daniel's in Apex are the best I've found.

Both have great food....Mamma Mia's is a bit more authentic (husband and wife Italian owners greet you and make you feel welcome)....

Old 07-17-2013, 07:15 PM

871 posts, read 3,017,534 times
Bella Mia is the place at the Arboretum, their pizza is magnificent. I haven't tried anything else there. Their hours are pretty limited.

I join the ranks of those who detest Daniel's. Sparing you the details, neither time I ate there with my family did the food sit well. Never again.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:16 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Daniel's in Apex

Nooooo. Very popular, but not worth a special trip. I'm drawing a blank, but there are good places to go. Will respond later.

Edit: Casa Carbone gets good reviews, but I've not eaten there.

If you want good, cheap, "family Italian", there a are a LOT of places up in the mountains of VA, of of Hwy 29, and up around some small communities outside of Waynesboro and near Elkton. I don't know what it is about that area, but a LOT of really good, kinda crappy, not fancy, not cheap, but good places. One of my favorites is Vitos, which is in Lovingston.

Not suggesting you drive 3+ hours, but just rambling (and if you are headed that way, it's good to know).

I used to like the place near Harris Teeter and Bruggers, in Apex. Forgot the name, but anyway, they eventually went downhill and closed, but were really good before that. Family owned, from NYC.

Daniels has a couple decent dishes, but they are mostly overpriced, and not that good. They have horrible bread, which is reason enough to look elsewhere.

Last edited by Myghost; 07-17-2013 at 08:24 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 08:18 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
If you want good wood fired pizza and great appetizers go to Pizzaria Toro in Durham. It is better then Bella Mia. Bella Mia is coal fired but for some reason the pizza is just not as good as it should be - I think it is the ingredients, they could be better quality. At Toro the ingredients and combinations are great and you can taste it too in the appetizers. But the OP mentioned Italian food not pizza, sorry I have no good suggestions for pasta but I have heard good things about Café Luna.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:39 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
define Italian food in your quest. Do you mean "Ameri-talian" of 3-8 different sauces and 6-10 styles of pasta noodle? Pizza?

I hadn't heard of Biaggi's, but expected it to be local, not one of a chain. Carraba's? Even Maggiano's?

Daniel's is a polarizing place - folks love it or hate it.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 PM

71 posts, read 180,560 times
Gravy seems to be popular, however I didnt think it was "all that" It was good yeh, but nothing special.
I really enjoyed Bellini's in Fuquay, much more than Gravy or Daniels.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
FWIW, I grew up in a predominately Italian neighborhood in RI.
I detest Daniel's - blech.

I've had good meals at Casa Carbone on Glenwood Ave and Mia Francesca at North Hills.
Otherwise, I cook myself!
I like Casa Carbone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary