Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:44 AM

513 posts, read 695,387 times

Advertisements

Wow, you guys are all over the TS! He may not have worded it the best way, but I don't think he meant anything too bad. Just concerned about safety. Durham does have a high crime rate and it worries people who plan on moving there. I know I was one of those people when I was considering moving to the area. With that said, I've never had a problem anywhere in Durham, but I've also never ventured into the "rougher" sections of the city. Also, Durham crime or safety threads usually turn into exremists from each side bickering back and forth with little to no useful information.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:52 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
Maybe you should find somewhere where the people might not take as much offense to that language.
I'm not sure the folks in Durham would be too happy with people moving in with that mindset.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 AM

766 posts, read 1,657,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyrab View Post
Might fit in in Sanford, FL though....
LOL, agreed....Maybe the OP should stay where they are.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:19 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,092 times
Interesting that the original post described themselves as what many would call liberal, then went on to spew comments that some would call republican/tea party/conservative. Just proves stereotypes fail.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Interesting that the original post described themselves as what many would call liberal, then went on to spew comments that some would call republican/tea party/conservative. Just proves stereotypes fail.
Then again, it is easy to liberal when you spend your life avoiding gheto people.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
Wow, you guys are all over the TS! He may not have worded it the best way, but I don't think he meant anything too bad. Just concerned about safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
I'm not ghetto. In public I am not loud, intimidating, thieving, and just plain rude.
Explain to me what loud, intimidating and just plain rude have to do with safety?

Safety has to do with criminals. Not poor people. Not black people. Not any class or group of people except criminals. Period.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:47 AM

513 posts, read 695,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Explain to me what loud, intimidating and just plain rude have to do with safety?

Safety has to do with criminals. Not poor people. Not black people. Not any class or group of people except criminals. Period.
Neither really have an effect on safety, although an intimidating person could cause you to perceive a lack of safety. I said he worded it poorly...
Who said anything about black or poor people?

Old 07-19-2013, 12:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
Who said anything about black or poor people?
Right, because folks tend to use the term "ghetto people" to refer to middle class whites.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:07 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I'm at the beach this week and I think the folks from Pennsylvania at the house next door who got drunk and starting singing very loud karaoke contemporary country songs at the top of their lungs, cussing, and picking fights might qualify as "ghetto" if it means "loud, intimidating, thieving, and just plain rude", but I don't think they did any thieving. I haven't met many people that rude in Durham, but you never know who you'll run into.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:46 PM

487 posts, read 896,361 times
Well the crime rate in Durham is high, and I was wondering if the threat of being a victim of a violent crime, robbery, or the like is something people generally have to live with and in fear of there.

Ghetto people can be of any race. I actually wasn't referring to race.

It's a thing that happens to people from poor neighborhoods. In order to put up a 'don't mess with me' front, they start acting really tough, and like I said, loud, rude, and intimidating. I'm used to people like that from the Bay Area as well as Los Angeles and never come across those types in Vancouver, BC where I live now. I can walk around at night without feeling like someone is going to pull over and rape me then bash my head in and take my purse etc. (BUT I don't want to stay in Vancouver).

Unlike, for example back when I lived in COMPTON California where my foster mother advised me not to walk out in the street in BROAD DAYLIGHT especially as a young White girl for fear I should get mugged or shot etc. and not to mention even as sweet as I was then getting so many people calling me 'White *****' just because of my appearance, so yeah I know what racism is like. Not to mention getting $300 stolen from me there...

Get real, people, and calm the F down. If crime is going in in your city, you should at least be able to ducking talk about it. Oh, I'm SUCH a HORRIBLE person for asking if the high crime rate is something you notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary