Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 02:00 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

Don't mean to be Debbie Downer but why don't you just buy from the catalogue. It will cost you a fortune to shop in the store cause it is easy to get carried away with "Oh that's cute" and "I love this."

Also both D.C. and Atlanta are hot as hades in the summer. I lived in both places and summer is miserable but especially now with this heat wave. I'd wait till fall when everybody won't be so miserable. But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 02:02 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I would definitely say DC and there are some fun museums, too. They might enjoy Air & Space (lots of hands on activities for kids) and the Natural Sciences one (IMAX 3D). My kids really enjoyed walking on the mall and seeing the Washington Monument, etc, but ymmv. Don't leave DC on a Friday afternoon (everybody's leaving town for the weekend, clogging up I-95), but otherwise it's pretty doable.
I'll keep that in mind-we might have stayed through Friday!

Old 07-19-2013, 04:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I left at 1pm on Friday in August a few years back and it took me 7 hrs to get to Durham when it should have taken 4. Don't leave on Friday afternoon! And there wasn't a wreck or anything. We finally pulled off in Quantico and went to an IHOP at the exit because we couldn't take crawling along at 10 mph and then stopping and then crawling a few hundred feet more any longer. It was back past Fredericksburg and thick until Richmond. I-85 was fine.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Don't mean to be Debbie Downer but why don't you just buy from the catalogue. It will cost you a fortune to shop in the store cause it is easy to get carried away with "Oh that's cute" and "I love this."

Also both D.C. and Atlanta are hot as hades in the summer. I lived in both places and summer is miserable but especially now with this heat wave. I'd wait till fall when everybody won't be so miserable. But that's just me.
DH can't get off work in the fall and I'd rather go before they're back in school. We planned on taking a short 2-3 day trip anyhow, and both girls love browsing the stores. So, since we've never been anywhere since moving here last year, we figured we'd make a short trip of it-no vacation for us this year, especially since I just quit that great teaching job.

Someone said there's a waterpark nearby, so that is something else we can do out that way. A hot summer time is welcome to me-3 years that we went to WI DELLS, in July and August, it was too COLD to swim at the waterparks! At least here, if you make outdoor swimming plans, you know it'll be hot enough to go. Nothing like staying at a 200+/night hotel for the pools and having them close them due to the cold is the middle of summer. Plus, I'm at least halfway through my life and have never seen D.C., so it'll be an adventure. I'll get in a museum somewhere along the mini trip too.

She saved her money and loves the stores. She knows what she is going in to purchase, knows the price and knows I won't be buying her anything. There is some fascination to just looking at all of the dolls and displays-I don't get it, but hey, you're only a kid once. I'm happy at 11 she is still playing with dolls and not doing what I've seen other kids her age do!

Sadly, this weekend in Madison WI you can get the dolls for between 35-75.00-one of the many things they miss about WI. My sister was going to go for us, but my nephew's little league team is going to the championships, and the game is Saturday.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:36 PM

143 posts, read 385,453 times
Are you planning to stay in DC or VA? Traffic is horrible in the area and the last thing you want to do is swelter in the car

One suggestion is the Hyatt House in Falls Church it is a newer hotel and seems pretty nice. Near the metro if you want to spend a day downtown, and a drive down Gallows Road will take you to the mall and American Girl (about 10-15 min).

The water park is in Manassas - really closer on your way back to Raleigh.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:51 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I like the Sheraton Crystal City. It's decent. Metro stop right under the hotel.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:21 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
If you have ANY questions about the DC American Girl store, I am your person! Not only did I live 3 miles away from Tysons Mall for 12 years, I worked at that AG store for several months when it first opened until I moved down here. I can tell you where to park, where to stay, where to eat, etc. I know that area and the store like the back of my hand. :-)

I've never been to the Atlanta AG store, but the Tyson's store is the largest AG store that is not a flagship store (Chicago, NY, and LA). I recently visited the Miami store, and I couldn't believe how small it was in comparison.

Coming from Clayton, it should be a 4 hour drive. You should have no problem getting there on a Friday evening. As you get closer to DC, you will see that most of the traffic is heading south on 95 or heading north on 95 above the city. We have been up there for the past 4 weekends getting our house ready for sale, and we haven't hit any traffic heading up. Saturday is bad in both directions as is Sunday. Best to go early in the morning if possible.

Weekend hotel rates in Tysons Corner are pretty reasonable. Forget during the week - it's very expensive, business rates - $150-$200 would be typical. You should be able to get a room for $79 or something at a Marriott on the weekend. I can give you specific recommendations if you want.

***Warning*** Traffic around Tysons Corner is crazy and congested. And they are doing work on the new Silver Line of the Metro which will open right across the street from the mall, so there is a lot of extra congestion there!

There are a ton of fun things to do around DC even if your kids don't like museums. If you are there for two days, you can do 1 day at the mall and one doing something else.

For the time at the mall, your 6-year old can go to the LEGO store if you think that will entertain him while you are at the AG store. There is also a play area on the third flood clear on the other side of the mall, of course, that he might enjoy. It's geared for younger kids, but he might like it. There is also a little train near the play area that does a little ride around the mall that he would probably like. There's a movie theatre, too, if he'd enjoy that. The average visit to an AG store is 2-hours, so I'm trying to figure out how you can entertain the others while your daughter chooses her doll.

Another option is to vist the mall in the evening. It is generally less crowded after dinner. During the summer weekends, it can be pretty busy.

If you are in DC and willing to drive into the city, a night drive while the monuments are lit up is spectacular. You don't even have to get out of the car. But just seeing the White House, the Capitol, the Washington Monument (although I think it has scaffolding on it) and the Lincoln Memorial lit up is very cool.

Your older kids might really like the spy museum. Although, it's one of the few that charge money and it's not cheap. But highly recommended! Air and Space is free downtown. And there's one out in Sterling Virginia near Dulles Airport. It's free but $12 to park.

There are a lot of local county and regional waterparks in addition to Splash Down, which is private and pretty expensive. There's one not far away from Tysons in Reston called The Water Mine which is fun, and much cheaper. And there are some others around, too. All of them will close Labor Day Weekend, though.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any me any AG question. My girls and I have been collecting the dolls for years.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:40 PM

143 posts, read 385,453 times
Another thought - Tysons has a movie theater on the third level maybe take your DH can take your son to a movie...

Traffic is bad because of the silver line but you can avoid most of it by going in through International Drive.

I would skip the Air & Space in Chantilly ( Dulles) unless your kids REALLY love planes it can be pretty boring.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:34 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,392 times
If you drive into DC i suggest the Washington National Zoo. Smithsonian's National Zoo

Old 07-21-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
If you drive into DC i suggest the Washington National Zoo. Smithsonian's National Zoo
Sounds good! Where we lived,we were less than 10 minutes to the zoo and went often (had a membership). That's one of the things the kids miss here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary