Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2007, 05:54 PM

31 posts, read 90,571 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been told by the closing attorny's office to bring an extra 2-4k to the closing in case there are costs higher than what's on the GFE. I'm locked, points are disclosed, loan funded etc. What could this be about, anyone know? Can I walk away, since I never knew about 2-4k extra expense so never agreed to them?

Can't reach anyone since it's holiday weekend....and everyone left early. Set to close Tuesday and this doesn't seem right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 07:05 PM

354 posts, read 1,217,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_into_homebase View Post
Hi, I've been told by the closing attorny's office to bring an extra 2-4k to the closing in case there are costs higher than what's on the GFE. I'm locked, points are disclosed, loan funded etc. What could this be about, anyone know? Can I walk away, since I never knew about 2-4k extra expense so never agreed to them?

Can't reach anyone since it's holiday weekend....and everyone left early. Set to close Tuesday and this doesn't seem right.
It could be prepayment for 6 months insurance and/or 3 months real estate taxes. Mortgage payment from now till end of month as the GFE might show only one months mortgage payment which has to prepaid.

Since I don't know what is on the GFE I could only hazard a guess. Make sure you are not paying extra loan fees or other charges related to the loan. But you will have to pay what is on your side of the account and are your charges like the above. And I forgot to mention attorney's fees.

Last edited by ch123; 11-09-2007 at 07:39 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Usually the attorney's office will send to the Realtor a settlement statement before closing. Did you get yours?

If not, and if you can't get it before closing, I'd suggest you bring your original Good Faith Estimate that the lender gave you upon applying for your loan.

When you get to closing, compare the fees the lender estimated to make sure they aren't charging you for something not disclosed on the GFE.

Typically, lenders will estimated all your escrows and shouldn't be off by thousands, unless something that you are aware of has changed.

If you don't have a Realtor, call the attorney's office as soon as you can on Tuesday morning and explain that you are concerned about the extra money that you are expected to bring to closing and have them explain why.

No estimates should be thousands of dollars over the GFE.

Vicki

Old 11-09-2007, 08:18 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,586 times
I agree with Vicki. Thousands of dollars off is pretty off. My last closing there was a difference of $150 dollars because the attorney forgot to include a fee on the HUD. I would definitely question it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary