Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:14 AM

138 posts, read 256,599 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have experience converting a WOOD BURNING fireplace to a GAS fireplace?

I know I need to get the gas company out to the property and see about putting in a line, but I am unsure of what this may cost.

Also, does anybody have recommendations on companies that could install the fireplace?

In addition, do we go through the town (Cary) to get permitted for this? I'm assuming we may need permits from the HOA and Town of Cary. We are early in discussions for this project and would appreciate advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 12:22 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
if you have a masonry wood fireplace, you shouldn't need to install a different fireplace. You'll need gas logs of course. But they'll vent it using that original chimney.

First question - you do have gas at the house already, right? If so, the gas company does NOT need to extend a line for you. Many good licensed plumbers can do this. In fact, here's an area where the gas company charges much higher than others, because of the "unknowing captive audience" factor.

I don't know why you'd need HOA approval since this is an interior change. A simple call to Town of Cary will answer their permit requirements.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:22 AM

154 posts, read 389,403 times
Our fireplace was originally wood-burning. The previous owners converted it to unvented gas logs. This past winter we had Flue & Flame put in a gas fireplace insert, which we love.

F&F might not be the around, but they will take care of getting the gas line run, permits pulled, etc.

flamtap

Old 07-22-2013, 12:40 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
We got a quote from Progress Energy on having a gas line run out to our house. What they told us was a) there needs to be a gas line near your house in the first place. Lucky for us, there was one. b) If you will have just one appliance running on gas, it was $30 to run out the line. If multiple appliances would be converted to gas, it was free.

I don't know if they count gas firelogs as an appliance though. We were looking into it for our HVAC and water heater.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:39 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
The cost will vary greatly, and most of the uncertainty comes from the labor costs of running the piping. It will vary both on the actual distance, but mostly on the complexity of how and where the piping can be run.

NEAREST NG: CLOSE: If you have NG appliances already in your kitchen and your fireplace backs up to the kitchen, then the plumbers could do it easily and cheaply (the new piping required would be short distances and through non-disruptive routing).

NEAREST NG: FAR: If you have NG kitchen appliance or HVAC or water heating, but the nearest is on the other side of the house from the fireplace, then running the piping will be over a long di$tance and a ha$$le.

NEAREST NG: STEET: If you don't have any NG anywhere, and you have to run all new piping in the house, coming from the nearest NG available, the street piping, then in addition tot he above, you also have to run buried piping across your lot, and will also probably have to have a gas meter installed, since you probably don't have one already. This will be very expensive! I don't imagine anyone would want to pay for all this.

ELECTRIC TO NG CONVERSION:
In addition to all the above about running the gas piping, if you are also considering converting a non-NG appliance to NG, then you have to also worry about "venting" (providing for the exhaust).
Stoves and ovens and some heaters don't need this. Of course, a wood burning fireplace already have the chimney so this isn't a concern.
If you are considering converting the HVAC or water heating appliances, you will need to add a flue that electric units don't already have. There are building codes for these flues that would have to be met. Adding flues in an existing house will start at complex and expensive and go up from there, and these costs will very greatly, depending on just how complex these changes are.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:18 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
NEAREST NG: STEET: If you don't have any NG anywhere, and you have to run all new piping in the house, coming from the nearest NG available, the street piping, then in addition tot he above, you also have to run buried piping across your lot, and will also probably have to have a gas meter installed, since you probably don't have one already. This will be very expensive! I don't imagine anyone would want to pay for all this.
Progress Energy quoted us $30 to run the line from the street to our property. Not sure if they'll still do it for that with Duke Energy.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
We converted our wood burning fireplace to gas logs years ago. Love it!

Don't remember the cost but it depends on how far the gas line has to be from the fireplace to the gas source.

Vicki

Old 07-23-2013, 09:45 AM

797 posts, read 3,579,090 times
Anyone else think about $4,000 for a direct vent gas logs kit? This would include all the piping to get up and out of the chimney. I am getting a few quotes and all are around $4,000-$5,000. Seems pricey.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Progress Energy quoted us $30 to run the line from the street to our property. Not sure if they'll still do it for that with Duke Energy.
I'd be hesitant about a $30 quote. Common sense says it would cost them that much in gas alone just to get a work crew to your address.

A new gas meter install has to be more than that.
When I asked the water company how much it would cost me to add a second meter to the street so I could run a separate line for yard irrigation (except from sewer fees), they told me about $700, just for the meter and a few feet of pipe connecting back to the street line.

I can see the gas company providing a big discount for a new gas service if they can expect a lot of new and steady sales, IE: for a new house that has furnaces, water heater, stoves, etc. But if you are connecting just for a fireplace, (or just a grille), the consumption is nearly negligible (from their point of view).

Old 07-26-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Anyone else think about $4,000 for a direct vent gas logs kit? This would include all the piping to get up and out of the chimney. I am getting a few quotes and all are around $4,000-$5,000. Seems pricey.
A quick jump over to Lowes Home shows a full gas fireplace insert is only about $400-$550. So they are saying the piping and labor (outside and inside) is about $3,500.

When you say you are getting quotes. Are they personalized? Did they come over and walk your house and yard? Or is it just over the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary