U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:01 PM

13,816 posts, read 24,755,394 times

Advertisements

I would trust a plumbing company (who had a vested interest in fixing something) and a city inspector telling me everything is OK over some hack home inspector "jack of all trades" any day. If you can provide the info to the buyer I would hope they would be sufficiently satisfied and to be honest as the buyer I would probably order another inspection with a completely different company because it's obvious their first home inspector didn't know crap.

P.S. Yes please try using paragraphs, proper writing greatly helps the understanding of the material and will get more people to respond. Unless I'm really interested in the subject I would've just closed out seeing that big essay.

P.P.S. GL with the sale!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 09:05 PM

38,863 posts, read 67,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I sorta think I know what the OP is talking about. Home Inspector says the drain lines are improperly sloped and notes as such on the report (pictures may not be of much help unless there is a good point of reference available). Company that did the repair and City Inspector says they are ok. So who is right? Slope is usually pretty obvious if you have a good point of view and the line is long enough. In essence it takes very little slope for the drains to function properly. From a technical perspective, drain lines require between 1/8" drop/ft. to 1/4"/ft. depending on the size of the line. When it is hard to tell visually, the use of a level is standard procedure. There is even a special level for this purpose. Let me ask you this: Do the lines drain properly with no backup? If so, the slope is probably ok. It would seem to me that if you have a receipt from a qualified plumber and the city has signed off on it you should be good to go! As noted, your agent should be working through this with you!
The tricky angle is that the buyer can terminate at any time during Due Diligence without even giving a reason.
So, right or wrong, proper slope or not, if the buyer ignores the licensed plumber's opinion, and is willing to accept a barely coherent inspector's word, or gets frustrated with the exchange and just walks away, the seller has little leverage to keep the buyer in the game.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:33 AM

3,534 posts, read 2,464,950 times
Mike,
It is indeed tricky! Buyers can walk with much more easily than they could in the past.

Home inspector vs. plumbing contractor and city inspector: Keep in mind we are only hearing one side of the story! The OP verges on being unintelligible so they may have problems accurately conveying what the home inspector said. As a contractor/builder I can tell you that plumbers often make errors (some very serious) as do the city/county inspectors. Quite frankly, I could write a book on the subject! I can't say who is right or wrong in this case but have seen many times where a home inspector was far more knowledge than a plumber or city inspector! Keep in mind that the majority of work done by plumbing contractors is performed by helpers-not real plumbers! There are good inspectors, good plumbers and good city/county inspectors. There are also plenty that don't know their head from the other end. Who knows what the OP was dealing with!

Old 07-21-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Mike,
It is indeed tricky! Buyers can walk with much more easily than they could in the past.
...!
Actually, this is a common misconception, if only applied to Due Diligence.
Consumers and agents have seized on the DD Period since it was introduced, but buyers had much the same leeway for years, with less or no risk. It was just expressed differently, and was not as widely discussed or promoted.

Regardless, yes, the OP is in a tricky situation. And it really sounds like a minor point, if the slope issue is not able to be clearly related to the parties.
Inarticulate and imprecise home inspectors are among the most frustrating.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:07 AM

5 posts, read 6,731 times
Never have/ had a problem with drains backing up or clogging or any plumbing problems what so ever. Thank you for the response.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:40 AM

671 posts, read 786,527 times
You can have a waste line pitching in the proper direction but not have enough pitch to meet code..your situation stinks. May I ask how long is the run,,,from the waste to the outside wall and how much space is their between the top of the pipe and the closest floor joist...Also is it pvc? If the waste line is pvc and there is space the fix to make everyone happy is pretty simple and easy time and pocket wise.....If so get it done and get your life underway....

Old 10-08-2014, 12:00 PM

I sure hope this is a done deal by now.
Or the next buyer closed. A year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary