Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 05:27 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

"SITE GRADING - Poor/Defective
Grade at right side is excessive and will continue to erode if not corrected. Roof runoff from neighbors house (on right side) will
make erosion even worse if not corrected. Retaining wall may be needed due to height and proximity to houses. Requires
review by builder and consider contacting local inspections department.

He did not not know the laws surrounding land grading and retaining walls. He told us he'd look into it then told us " Talk with the builder first. Then if you do not like his answer then speak with the local inspections department. "

I'm curious what the had to say when he got back to you after researching the retaining wall requirements.
How can he specify a retaining wall when he does not know the requirements? How would that be credible if there is a contention by the builder that a retaining wall is not necessary?

Sounds like you need to lean on the builder a little, but may need to back it up with an opinion from a professional engineer who does know the requirements.
Or... that professional engineer may differ with the home inspector and say that there are other means of controlling erosion and water flow that will be acceptable.
Or... ask the builder to have an engineer review the site and offer documentation that the concerns are nil, or have been addressed adequately.

Good luck! I hate water problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 06:49 AM

212 posts, read 1,016,771 times
Thanks for all the feedback. We provided in writing a response to the builder stating we would not close until the wall and drainage are properly complete

Thanks again for all the help, will update as we get feedback

Old 11-11-2007, 07:22 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I think the letter is a good idea, but you can also make an arrangement for the attorney to hold money in escrow (the amount of the cost of the repair) let's say the estimate is 5k, the attorney can hold that in escrow in order to pay for the repair after the closing. This way you know that the money is there, being held by a third party, so that it will get paid for.

Leigh

Old 11-12-2007, 04:08 PM

So I spoke to someone in the Main office today regarding this issue. In short she pretty much told me that the Slope was not on our property so they where not required to put the retaining wall up before we move. She did say she could put it in writing that she would have one installed with 30 days. She also went on to say that if we did not close next week the builder would charge a pier diem for "seller not ready" as she put it (Sounded quit threating if you ask me). I continued to argue with her and she would not budge. She was pretty much rude and very defensive that we wanted to wait that this wall was built before we closed. She kept staying that since the slope is not on our property no laws or codes require them to build it.

I went back and read the contract and it does state that they can charge us a per diem for not closing on time.

Do you think getting it in writing is enough ?
Why are they pressuring us to close ?
Really confused and frustrated. Need some help

Old 11-12-2007, 04:09 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Consult an attorney now.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:12 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti04 View Post
So I spoke to someone in the Main office today regarding this issue. In short she pretty much told me that the Slope was not on our property so they where not required to put the retaining wall up before we move. She did say she could put it in writing that she would have one installed with 30 days. She also went on to say that if we did not close next week the builder would charge a pier diem for "seller not ready" as she put it (Sounded quit threating if you ask me). I continued to argue with her and she would not budge. She was pretty much rude and very defensive that we wanted to wait that this wall was built before we closed. She kept staying that since the slope is not on our property no laws or codes require them to build it.

I went back and read the contract and it does state that they can charge us a per diem for not closing on time.

Do you think getting it in writing is enough ?
Why are they pressuring us to close ?
Really confused and frustrated. Need some help
The onsite agent works exclusively for the builder, not you, they are going to protect the builder. Consult an attorney that specializes in real estate transactions. Better to spend 300 on an attorney than closing without the various items taken care of. When you consult the attorney, bring your offer to purchase docs with you, also take pictures of the "slope" so that they can see the situation, bring your survey, bring your home inspection.

Good luck
Leigh

Old 11-12-2007, 04:32 PM

How about any local inspectors. Our Home inspector stated " try contacting local inspections department" For the town of Cary whom do I contact with this issue regarding the slope?

Can someone recommend a Real estate lawyer in the Cary, Apex or Raleigh area ?

Old 11-12-2007, 04:38 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
How about any local inspectors. Our Home inspector stated " try contacting local inspections department" For the town of Cary whom do I contact with this issue regarding the slope?

Can someone recommend a Real estate lawyer in the Cary, Apex or Raleigh area ?
I believe that you will need an independent expert to put his/her license on the line stating that there is a problem.
That will give the attorney something to work with other than rhetoric.

The inspections department is "Inspections and Permits." (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/dsdept/I&P/inpindex.htm - broken link)

Old 11-12-2007, 04:43 PM

Heres the portion from the Home inspectors report

Old 11-12-2007, 04:50 PM

709 posts, read 934,224 times
Quote:
Heres the portion from the Home inspectors report

You need an attorny in the morning with those pictures in hand.In addition you need the towns engineer to make it that there is no certificate of occupancy issued due to the fact that the house COULD be undermined in a bad rain.
This was done wrong.
Heck I would call WRAL with these pics! No way would I close on this property. In fact not a chance would I buy it even with a retaining wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary