Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:11 PM

7,814 posts, read 4,527,747 times

Advertisements

Thanks for putting up the link. Much more illuminating than my meager attempt to explain the book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 4 days ago)

43,076 posts, read 76,631,641 times
It's a very profitable pity party publication, from the general tone of reviews.

So, I might have to get the book to see if they are right.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:57 AM

5,804 posts, read 6,850,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
I have heard it...but whats it matter?? All radio guys do radio commercials. It how they pay their salaries.
They don't all do commercials - that's one of the reasons I prefer Clark Howard over Dave Ramsey and others. Clark will occasionally plug his upcoming books, but then he also says to get one from the library or off CL/eBay.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
They don't all do commercials - that's one of the reasons I prefer Clark Howard over Dave Ramsey and others. Clark will occasionally plug his upcoming books, but then he also says to get one from the library or off CL/eBay.
I like Clark Howard too. I can remember him "betting" with a guest about who had a cheaper shirt. The guest bragged that he paid only $1.00 for his shirt. Clark said, "See this? $0.25!"
He told about wearing a $1.00 suit. His producers are hysterical when they chime in about how cheap he is and how frustrated they get when they travel with him.
I don't doubt his wealth or his sincerity.
I asked a generic question on his site several years ago, and got a call in a couple of hours from a staffer who really was looking to help me out. Very service oriented.

Dave Ramsey? He's a bit more of a shill for "ELPs." "Endorsed Local Providers." Insurance, window replacement companies, car dealers.
But, you take the good with the bad and make good choices, and he is far from all bad. He is spot on that elective casual debt is a rampant disease in America.

And, the comments in this post/thread on his website are hysterical.
The first whiny commenter really got the ball rolling...
20 Things The Rich Do Every Day - daveramsey.com

Old 07-23-2013, 06:43 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,146,440 times
Default stock market

Another red flag...please put as much as possible into the stock market via ira or 401k.

So then why when we have so many people invested via these programs are we all losing money...
Because in gambling there are always more losers than winners.

But please above all else....buy my books.....because apparently no one except the author knows how to save or live below their means. Amazes me what is in some of these best selling financial books.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,587,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Dave Ramsey? He's a bit more of a shill for "ELPs." "Endorsed Local Providers." Insurance, window replacement companies, car dealers.
But, you take the good with the bad and make good choices, and he is far from all bad. He is spot on that elective casual debt is a rampant disease in America.
I listen to Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard to pass time in the car. I think Dave Ramsey has good information and I've never bought any of his books so he's not made any money from me. I ignore his ELP stuff. I've been debt free other than my house since 2006 and now I wouldn't have it any other way. Even though my house will be paid off in ~12 years, I'm thinking of starting to pay it off early.

Yeah, a lot of what both Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard say is "common sense" - but if I had learned this stuff in my 20's I'd be looking at a whole different retirement picture at this point in my life.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:36 AM

843 posts, read 2,095,221 times
I like listening to Clark. But by God, I hope I am never as cheap as that man. He brings it to a whole other level.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
I like listening to Clark. But by God, I hope I am never as cheap as that man. He brings it to a whole other level.
I'd buy him lunch in a heartbeat, for the laughs he has given me.

And I bet he would argue for the check, and lose graciously.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:50 AM

843 posts, read 2,095,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'd buy him lunch in a heartbeat, for the laughs he has given me.

And I bet he would argue for the check, and lose graciously.
He eats at McDonalds every day and orders off the dollar menu. Case in point. At least he wont break your budget if you do bring him out. He is SO much better to listen to than the other options on radio. I love listening to radio but am so sick of the political crap. I listen more to KFI 640 out of LA than any local stuff. I also like 101.1 in Jersey. The 2 guys on from 12-3 and 3-6 on 106.1 is just poison radio. Same stuff everyday. Thats called brainwashing....

Ramsey isnt too bad, he just has that Holier than thou attitude that bugs me. He expects everyone to toe his line without the barameter of personal situations. Clark doesnt do that.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,832,511 times
Clark Howard is the real deal. Ever see him on TV? He stands up cause he's too cheap to buy a chair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary