Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2006, 05:24 PM

312 posts, read 1,904,589 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to Clayton soon. I have work experiences in Deli/Bakery dept from Food Lion. I do know that both Wake and Johnston county do have Food Lion, but I'm wondering about Food Lion's competitioners? Harris Teeter? Winn Dixie? Or any other store name?

Reason why I asked is because I heard that Winn Dixie is laying people off as well as closing the stores. They already closed 4 in my area (Florida). I also heard that Harris Teeter is the most expensive grogery store and few people shopped there.

Which grogery store do you think is the most popular? I do not want to work in the grogery store where there's less people shopped there. That mean less pay for employee, believe me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 06:26 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times
If I were you I'd check out BJ's or Costco.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:25 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
There are so many grocery stores in the Raleigh area that I've personally never seen one very busy. No matter what time of day or what day of the week, it's just not that busy. That said, I would opt for Harris Teeter for work. (Of course I'm partial. Hubby is a manager there.) They pay a little better than other chains and they are opening new stores all the time. I'd personally stay away from BJ's. I worked at one in NJ and they really don't treat their employees well or pay a decent wage (IMHO). Best of luck to you!

Old 07-31-2006, 11:58 PM

12 posts, read 105,276 times
You can scratch Winn Dixie off your list - I know the store in Clayton has been closed for awhile now. I know that one in Goldsboro closed as well. I would second Harris Teeter.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:52 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt4fam
There are so many grocery stores in the Raleigh area that I've personally never seen one very busy. No matter what time of day or what day of the week, it's just not that busy.
Try Raleigh's Whole Foods on a weekday, aprox 5:30-6:30 (afterwork). Oh my gawd talk about a crowd! Sometimes you can't find a parking spot!

Harris Teeter in Cameron Village shopping center on a Sunday late afternoon can be packed too.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:57 PM

6 posts, read 19,289 times
I read your post about your husband being a store manager at Harris Teeter. Is your husband still a manager? If so what city in North Carolina? The reason I am inquiring is because my husband and I are anticipating moving to Western North Carolina in the summer '08. Both of us have worked for the number one grocerer in the Metropolitan area for many years; my husband has worked at Giant Food for 28 years and is retiring in May. I however, will still need to work full or parttime and was wondering in your husbands location do they hire frequently or is the job market slow. Harris Teeter is just now entering our area. The first store in Maryland was built earlier this year and they intend on expanding to a few other cities. I have heard nothing but good things about the company. Any information you may be able to give me would be helpful. I am just trying to get an outlook as what to expect when I try to get a job. Of course when the time comes I could always contact the stores in my area to see how favorable a job prospect might be.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:10 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post
I read your post about your husband being a store manager at Harris Teeter. Is your husband still a manager? If so what city in North Carolina? The reason I am inquiring is because my husband and I are anticipating moving to Western North Carolina in the summer '08. Both of us have worked for the number one grocerer in the Metropolitan area for many years; my husband has worked at Giant Food for 28 years and is retiring in May. I however, will still need to work full or parttime and was wondering in your husbands location do they hire frequently or is the job market slow. Harris Teeter is just now entering our area. The first store in Maryland was built earlier this year and they intend on expanding to a few other cities. I have heard nothing but good things about the company. Any information you may be able to give me would be helpful. I am just trying to get an outlook as what to expect when I try to get a job. Of course when the time comes I could always contact the stores in my area to see how favorable a job prospect might be.
I sent you a private message.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:40 PM

847 posts, read 3,521,883 times
I don't think that Harris Teeter is generally regarded as the most expensive food store. It's more upscale than Food Lion, but it's not Whole Foods. The several HTs I've been in are plenty busy.

Another grocery store here is Kroger.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:51 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Lowe's food
Harris Teeter
Kroger
Food Lion
Super Target
Super Walmart

Those are the basic grocery stores around here. Whole foods had a couple of stores, as does trader joes, and fresh market.

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary