Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 01:06 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times

Advertisements

There is much discussion about the value of many things in the Triangle. I have contributed many a link. But this one scares me and hopefull scares most who live here. I know houses have become a commodity to be valued for profit and loss but now our children? I searched what was the best thread but I think this may be reason for us all to step back and do a check on our thinking.

Yahoo! Personal Finance (broken link)'

If it gets moved oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 01:09 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,218 times
Oh boy--that's the last thing this first time mother-to-be (due in a week!) needs to read!

*blocking it out of my mind*

Old 11-16-2007, 01:13 PM

551 posts, read 1,875,159 times
I wish you an easy delivery, DCGrl, and a healthy baby!

Old 11-16-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
I wish you an easy delivery, DCGrl, and a healthy baby!
Ditto, love them and they will love you and it will be worth a pot of gold.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:04 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
...this one scares me and hopefull scares most who live here. I know houses have become a commodity to be valued for profit and loss but now our children?
I guess I don't understand what's scary about the article (in terms of values.)

For people who don't have children, I think it's an interesting eye opener regarding the cost of raising a child.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:08 PM

351 posts, read 1,194,420 times
It's funny. For as much as our media likes to talk about "family values", we don't actually do that much to support families. The US isn't that friendly towards families. Our family leave acts are paltry and I think families get judged more than they get helped.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:45 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,678,337 times
I read the article and still not clear what is so frightening about it. Would somebody mind dumbing it down for me?

Old 11-16-2007, 03:52 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,666,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I read the article and still not clear what is so frightening about it. Would somebody mind dumbing it down for me?
First, a women about to deliver can find what ever she wants scary.

Second, new parents are often overwhelmed by, and scared, of what they are undertaking. It's a huge responsibility and challenge if done right.

If a new parent doesn't break out in a cold sweat at the thought at least once, they aren't taking it seriously enough.

The rest of the 'not doing enough for families bit...I will remain pretty silent on. I tend to be of the camp that thinks folks should take responsibility for themselves when ever possible...and that comes to families as well.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Perspective not dumbing down

Quote:
Maybe it is generational but that last paragraph bothers me. Both of my children were planned and we wanted to make sure we were able to provide a secure childhood and transition into adulthood. We never looked at them in terms of their financial return nor do I value them today based on economics. We are very proud of their accomplishments and hope that they will value their children for their intrinsic worth and not extrinsic dollar cost. Maybe it is me seeing the words childrearing is a suckers game that scares me about our future. Maybe I have participated in to many real estate discussions about a house vs a home etc. But if I ever valued my sons based on their financial cost vs future value they not only would be devastated but probably wouldn't believe me. Then again maybe I am just old.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:20 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,728 times
Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think what the original poster found scary in a values sense is the whole idea of evaluating children in terms of how much money they cost and "are they worth it?" It is one thing to have an article saying "children cost money, so be financially prepared" and another to have "children cost money, are they worth the investment" (with the implication that you are making a trade-off with other "investments" like a second home or that yacht you've been wanting).

I'm guessing the second poster was more scared in terms of "where will I come up with that much money"?

I don't personally read articles like this, because I think they border on useless in a number of ways. I don't think people make decisions to have children based on the costs. I don't think national averages have any meaning whatsoever in terms of your personal budget. We all live in NC, where state university is, in a relative sense, very cheap. My preschool is not $375 a month like the person in the article; it is $150. That's a personal decision, as there are places around here that are $500. There are a wide range of costs, and everyone makes trade-offs throughout life, as you do with everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary