Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:33 AM

510 posts, read 901,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I agree. HOW?

I know about the lights outside, but what about break in's during the day?
alarm company signs posted on the windows and in front of the house

Old 07-24-2013, 09:37 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
alarm company signs posted on the windows and in front of the house
Which can easily be purchased on eBay.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:46 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,146 times
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
That's why God made guns.

If you're not competent, get competent.
God made guns???? REALLY?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:45 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,794 times
Quote:
I agree. HOW?

A buddy of mine was broke into a couple years ago. The guys backed a van into the driveway and got out with a sledgehammer. The next door neighbor saw them and called 911. They walked to the back door, one shot with the sledge hammer and the door was open. Alarm going off, they walked in and were back out in 2 minutes carrying the new 60" TV. They put it in the van and drove off. They were not even there 4 minutes. The neighbor was still on the phone with 911. Ironicly, Time Warner cable had been out 2 days before to hook up the new TV to digital cable... Sometimes there is NOTHING you can do....

He got a dog. He also bought an old pick up to park in the driveway so it looked like someone was there. He bought and installed better locks and deadbolts. But the reality is, if someone wants into your house there is NOTHING you can really do. All we can do is try to keep out the 'crooks of opportunity' I see so many houses with their garage doors open when they are home. I can see you have a nice bike, a new lawnmower ect just by cruising past. It stinks, but it is reality. You have to be vigilant...

This was a great TV show and very eye opening. Wish it was still on. Maybe some online service has the old episodes? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Take...2005_TV_series

Old 07-24-2013, 10:46 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
God made guns???? REALLY?
Yes. In the North Pole.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:31 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
A buddy of mine was broke into a couple years ago. The guys backed a van into the driveway and got out with a sledgehammer. The next door neighbor saw them and called 911. They walked to the back door, one shot with the sledge hammer and the door was open. Alarm going off, they walked in and were back out in 2 minutes carrying the new 60" TV. They put it in the van and drove off. They were not even there 4 minutes. The neighbor was still on the phone with 911. Ironicly, Time Warner cable had been out 2 days before to hook up the new TV to digital cable... Sometimes there is NOTHING you can do....

He got a dog. He also bought an old pick up to park in the driveway so it looked like someone was there. He bought and installed better locks and deadbolts. But the reality is, if someone wants into your house there is NOTHING you can really do. All we can do is try to keep out the 'crooks of opportunity' I see so many houses with their garage doors open when they are home. I can see you have a nice bike, a new lawnmower ect just by cruising past. It stinks, but it is reality. You have to be vigilant...

This was a great TV show and very eye opening. Wish it was still on. Maybe some online service has the old episodes? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Take...2005_TV_series

Sounds like they knew exactly what they would find and where, this does not sound random at all.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:44 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Sounds like they knew exactly what they would find and where, this does not sound random at all.
Sounds like the TWC install guy probably has a gig going with one of his buddies. Get in a house to install, case it, and tell your friends where to break in...

Sadly, stuff like this is not too uncommon (Not specific to TWC, but anytime you invite a stranger into your house, you are opening a door for trouble. So I guess this would go in the "how to avoid" answer...)

Old 07-24-2013, 12:49 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,735 times
Quote:
I agree. HOW?

Jk- I'm not sure which county you're in, but check with your police about doing a security survey. Durham PD has a program called the Community Resource Unit. You can find your district representative online and contact them to do a survey of your house. They will tell you what you're doing right, and what you could improve. Not sure if Wake has something similar...

http://www.durhampolice.com/

When the officer came out to look at my house, he commented positively on several things I already had done. The big thing, obviously, is the alarm. I have sensors on the windows (as well as doors, of course) plus a glass break near the windows and motion sensor in the living room. Other things he commented on are indoor/outdoor lights on timers and stormdoors on both front and back doors. My BF didn't think the stormdoors made any difference but the officer said it is one more thing they'd have to break through that could be noisy and alert a neighbor, so it might cause them to pass me by and go to another house. Also, take a look at the lock on your backdoor...I think you said you're in a new development (like me). We have a deadbolt on the backdoor, but a rindky-dinky strick plate and two tiny screws holding it in place in the door frame. A lot of the break-ins in my neighborhood have happened with the backdoor being kicked in...tiny screws make it easier. My BF changed out the strike place to a serious one and screwed it in with four very long screws.

The cop also said a lot of crimes are ones of opportunity...the homeowner didn't realize they left a door unlocked or a window open (or unlocked). And, he mentioned the obvious things...don't create "hiding places" with tall trees or bushes near your doors and windows and if you're away have someone pick up your mail and newspapers.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Sounds like the TWC install guy probably has a gig going with one of his buddies. Get in a house to install, case it, and tell your friends where to break in...

Sadly, stuff like this is not too uncommon (Not specific to TWC, but anytime you invite a stranger into your house, you are opening a door for trouble. So I guess this would go in the "how to avoid" answer...)
Yep, that came up with the cop who checked out my house too. He said people have all kinds of contractors, etc. over to their house and leave out all these valuables...just advertising "we've got lots of expensive things." Obviously, you can't take down a 50'' plasma on the wall before someone comes over to fix the plumbing, but put the laptops, tablets, jewelry away and get recommendations before hiring anyone!

Old 07-24-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
I think I saw an episode of this a few years back...the "thief" easily broke into a couple's house (who hired him to try) and they had all kinds of bank statements, pay stubs, tax records, etc. just sitting out in the open. After seeing that, I bought a locked fire safe plus a locked filing cabinet...and hide the keys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary